Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning with fan jets

matty86

Bought some fan jets as in all 16 years of cleaning Windows I've never tried them. Just wondering is it best to rinse on the glass with fans? To stop too much if the over spray. If you do rinse off the glass What's the best way with getting close to top frame or brick. Got the Gardiner 100% fans. 

Bought some fan jets as in all 16 years of cleaning Windows I've never tried them. Just wondering is it best to rinse on the glass with fans? To stop too much if the over spray. If you do rinse off the glass What's the best way with getting close to top frame or brick. Got the Gardiner 100% fans. 
I tried fan jets & Rinse bars.. now back to standard pencil jets they work 

Haha! Keep the brush against the work the whole time. Agitate thoroughly on whole window first. Then rinse on. Couple of swipes across the top of the glass to build a curtain of water the full width. Bring the curtain of water down with full width side to side swipes (on the glass only). Couple of swipes across the sill to finish. Job done. Simple, reliable and quick as anything. Glance to check. All good? Walk away.

No longer one of my favourite subjects of discussion. I'm bored with boring people on the subject of fans. Everyone make up their own minds. My son and I with our fan jets will keep eating the work and getting finished early with a good day's work done... Quickly and thoroughly on part time hours. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I use fans jets is when I'm cleaning roofs, or solar panels....too much over spray for regular window cleaning IMO.....

In fact I used my fan jets on a roof clean today on a carbon 90degree gooseneck....

Haha! Keep the brush against the work the whole time. Agitate thoroughly on whole window first. Then rinse on. Couple of swipes across the top of the glass to build a curtain of water the full width. Bring the curtain of water down with full width side to side swipes (on the glass only). Couple of swipes across the sill to finish. Job done. Simple, reliable and quick as anything. Glance to check. All good? Walk away.

No longer one of my favourite subjects of discussion. I'm bored with boring people on the subject of fans. Everyone make up their own minds. My son and I with our fan jets will keep eating the work and getting finished early with a good day's work done... Quickly and thoroughly on part time hours. ??
What size brush do you use?

I loved my 50° jets but when I switched to a 35cm brush I found 4 jets needed almost full power to still work. So I switched to 1.4mm pencils. Wondering if I should switch back to 2x 50°s, though. ?

I use a normal size non flocked Extreme Sill Brush 100 degree fans, short swivel, Extreme 22 pole, Univalve and Hoseless. That combination flies through the work. The brush glides across the glass like it's on ice.

I use 100° fans on all my brushes. 

Since switching to them a few years back I've got so used to them I can't go back to pencils. I've tried, but just prefer the fans. I use the same method as Davy G. I find I use more time and water to get the same results with pencils. Not saying they are bad, it's just the way I find them. I will say they weren't so easy to use with a fixed brush. With a swivel I found them much easier to use.

They are very much a personal preference I believe, much like swivels.

I reckon they both have their place, after 3 years with pencils only and trying the 50 degree fans 3 months ago I was impressed, especially on hydrophobic glass. I now use the fans 90% of the time. 

The only time I use fans jets is when I'm cleaning roofs, or solar panels....too much over spray for regular window cleaning IMO.....

In fact I used my fan jets on a roof clean today on a carbon 90degree gooseneck....
The only thing that causes overspray is operator error. If the brush stays in contact with the work the whole time, the water does too.  Until gravity takes it and the dirt down and off the window. ?

I went out in the other van on Monday and it had the pencil on the pole, and it felt strange not having used them far 18 months. Both have there place but liking the fan jets now.  Rinsing on the glass is great!

Thanks will give this ago see how I get on. 

I used pencil jets for over 12 years and now only use 100 fans I couldn't use anything else as they give a far greater rinse creatting a bigger curtain of water down the glass velux's are easier to rinse as well also a far more low flow rinse when flushing out trickle vents with the spray so far less risk of water going inside ,

As for overspray just keep the brush close to the window but even if you have a hiccup all around the window should have had thorough clean on a first clean anyway so you shouldn't have any issues, like all things learn and adapt. 

The only thing that causes overspray is operator error. If the brush stays in contact with the work the whole time, the water does too.  Until gravity takes it and the dirt down and off the window. ?
It's too risky with windows with dodgy top rubber seals IME...pencil jets are more accurate....

Fan jets are loud too!

I don't recall ever having  any issues where fan jets could be blamed. Never had a complaint about the noise. In fact I love the sound! If they ain't fizzing like a firework sparkler I'm checking my settings to see why? My son is the same. They make the encouraging sound of work being, got stuck into!

Customers are impressed as well. That's a certainty. Many have openly admired our set up and our efficient way of working.

We service everything from small terraced houses to ancient thatched cottages ~ two and three bed semis to five hundred year old churches and three hundred year old manor houses. All with 100 degree fan jets.

We, "Embrace the fizz!" ?

Long live diversity and difference of opinion. ?

Back