Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Securing WFP to roof of Berlingo

wezza13

Hi all, I've mean meaning to ask for a while. I have a Citroen Berlingo and mount my poles to the ceiling using gutter clips (see photos attached). I've used various types of screw but they all gradually work their way loose over the week. More or less, I have to tighten them all back up every weekend as they are very loose. I have those hollow frames that they're attached to. Recently I've tried those plastic spacers and they last slightly longer before needing to be tightened.

Those that secure their poles via the ceiling, have you found a decent way to do it? I can't put them on the side as I have an Xtreme 35 and SLX 27 and they're too long.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers!

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I've mean meaning to ask for a while. I have a Citroen Berlingo and mount my poles to the ceiling using gutter clips (see photos attached). I've used various types of screw but they all gradually work their way loose over the week. More or less, I have to tighten them all back up every weekend as they are very loose. I have those hollow frames that they're attached to. Recently I've tried those plastic spacers and they last slightly longer before needing to be tightened.

Those that secure their poles via the ceiling, have you found a decent way to do it? I can't put them on the side as I have an Xtreme 35 and SLX 27 and they're too long.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers!

View attachment 22721

View attachment 22722

View attachment 22723
I just use 68mm floplast downpipe with bonded in end caps made from HDPE board and secure to the van roof cross members with pipe clamps to suit 

Are you using self drilling roof screw or are you pre drilling holes and using self tappers?

These sort of things are quite good for holding things into sheet metal: https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-carbon-steel-self-drilling-screws-5-5-x-22mm-100-pack/40117 Check the length as they could go straight through the roof if they are too long!!!!!

The Munsen rings and threaded bar normally requires you to get a nut the other side of the structural box that runs across the roof. 

You could try adding a rubber tap washer between the roof box section and the bracket as that would take a bit of vibration out.

Thanks Daz, they look solid. I can't see how you've fitted them, from that photo. I'm not a DIY guru but can do the basics. Are they easy to fit?
self taping screws into the roof struts on my van...easy peasy......ive used cable ties near to the bulkhead as theres no room for the munsen rings....ive just used one ring on each pole pipe.....they are solid....they ve been up over a year now...no problems....

Are you using self drilling roof screw or are you pre drilling holes and using self tappers?

These sort of things are quite good for holding things into sheet metal: https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-carbon-steel-self-drilling-screws-5-5-x-22mm-100-pack/40117 Check the length as they could go straight through the roof if they are too long!!!!!

The Munsen rings and threaded bar normally requires you to get a nut the other side of the structural box that runs across the roof. 

You could try adding a rubber tap washer between the roof box section and the bracket as that would take a bit of vibration out.
Currently, I'm drilling the holes and then using self-tappers. I'll try the ones in that link thanks, coupled with rubber washers ?

self taping screws into the roof struts on my van...easy peasy......ive used cable ties near to the bulkhead as theres no room for the munsen rings....ive just used one ring on each pole pipe.....they are solid....they ve been up over a year now...no problems....
I started off with cable ties 3-4 years ago when I first got the van but found that the gutter pipes that I used to hold the poles swung around too much, which is why I eventually went for a more rigid setup.

As @dazmond says or pop rivet the fittings to the roof strengthens 
Pop rivets are a good shout and will be tried after the self-tappers and rubber washers. I'll be changing my van next year and am looking to get a bigger one, so the poles will sit on the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wezza13  I also have a berlingo with gutter clips,  I used the C shape ones that support the gutter, screwed to the side of the van with the open side of the C facing upwards.

After a bit of trial and error I ended up using wood screws, (screws meant for chipboard if I remember rightly) and drilled the holes a bit under size, they grip really well and been in place about a year with no loosening.

Wezza13  I also have a berlingo with gutter clips,  I used the C shape ones that support the gutter, screwed to the side of the van with the open side of the C facing upwards.

After a bit of trial and error I ended up using wood screws, (screws meant for chipboard if I remember rightly) and drilled the holes a bit under size, they grip really well and been in place about a year with no loosening.
For steel and plastic substrates you need to use self tapping screws with a tighter pitch of thread. Wood / chipboard screws have a long helical thread because wood is soft and forms around it. 

If you want projects to work correctly research for fasteners and fixings 

Have tried wood screws previously but they came loose within a week.
Yes they back out due to vibration and movement. 

If you've ever brought a secondhand van before and noticed the ply lining kit IE flooring and panels are loose and the screws are proud or snapped off that's why.

I'm not slating those trying to get a job done but using the correct fastener and fixings is paramount 

Back