Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Serious Ladder Fall

Davy G

I just found out that a very good friend has fallen off a ladder from full height. One of the nicest, most genuine and gentle people I've known. And with a lovely, close family.

He's not a windie. He just a few months ago started up a sole trader handyman business. I think he was probably emptying gutters. His injuries are a fractured back, broken knee cap and a broken thumb. He's in the resuscitation ward after being airlifted. I don't yet know what the long term outlook is.

Please, be careful, brothers.

Sugar. Hope he recovers soon and has no lasting effects.

Hopefully hospital don't call HSE as then he will have even more pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this Davy , hope he makes a speedy recovery , just goes to show how easy it is to do life changing injuries , we only use ladders for access and that’s it , none of us are immune to accidents it could happen to any one . Don’t use them more than is absolutely nessasary  and if it’s possible to do the job from the ground using equipment use it or don’t do the job , wfp and gutter vacs are classic examples of working safely on the ground without using ladders . 

Sorry to hear this Davy , hope he makes a speedy recovery , just goes to show how easy it is to do life changing injuries , we only use ladders for access and that’s it , none of us are immune to accidents it could happen to any one . Don’t use them more than is absolutely nessasary  and if it’s possible to do the job from the ground using equipment use it or don’t do the job , wfp and gutter vacs are classic examples of working safely on the ground without using ladders . 
Thanks Paul. You're right. Life can take a turn in a heartbeat.

Bloody hell.. glad he's still here.

It was this week last year I had my last fall from gutter height and still have deformed fingers and a few years before ended up with fractured coccyx and couldn't walk properly for over a month.

Definitely not worth the risk nowadays. 

It was this week last year I had my last fall from gutter height and still have deformed fingers and a few years before ended up with fractured coccyx and couldn't walk properly for over a month.

Thank you Dave. I'd forgotten that. As a coincidence of date. At this time and date last year I was not long out of anesthetics after a seven hour Oesophagectomy operation. I never will forget the goodwill and support from you guys on here.

Thanks again, to all of you. ?

Couldn't find the Ouch emoji so had to use sad one. Always makes me cringe hearing of ladder falls. So easy to change peoples lives in just a few seconds.

Stay safe everyone.

I think it’s very difficult, it can happen so easily. When we talk about ladder fall it sometimes gets peoples backs up, they begin debating about trad v wfp. 
but it’s all about the safety issue. It’s happened to a relative of my mums. Always done his own gutters, but about 4 months ago did it and somehow fell off. In a coma and will never recover, they say. Sadly it just somehow happens the ladder slips. 
Hope your friend recovers. Keep us updated. 

I just found out that a very good friend has fallen off a ladder from full height. One of the nicest, most genuine and gentle people I've known. And with a lovely, close family.

He's not a windie. He just a few months ago started up a sole trader handyman business. I think he was probably emptying gutters. His injuries are a fractured back, broken knee cap and a broken thumb. He's in the resuscitation ward after being airlifted. I don't yet know what the long term outlook is.

I hope he's going to recover and sending my wishes to you and his family and this precious time 

I think it’s very difficult, it can happen so easily. When we talk about ladder fall it sometimes gets peoples backs up, they begin debating about trad v wfp. 
but it’s all about the safety issue. It’s happened to a relative of my mums. Always done his own gutters, but about 4 months ago did it and somehow fell off. In a coma and will never recover, they say. Sadly it just somehow happens the ladder slips. 

Thank you, Jango. Yeah, things can happen in a blink. Very sorry to hear about your mum's relative. I'll keep you guys updated as I find out more.

I hope he's going to recover and sending my wishes to you and his family and this precious time 
Thank you, A. Very much appreciated.

I am wfp nowadays but still came off clearing a gutter.

Fact is if you're on a ladder no matter how careful there is always a risk of falling

Sorry to hear this @Davy G hopefully there will be no lasting injuries, I snapped my spine in two places and crushed one of my vertabrae by 70% over 18 years ago now and I was back to work after 3 months with some help and manage just fine day to day, so hopefully your mate will be lucky as I was.

Hope your friend heals and makes a full recovery. 

Sorry to hear this @Davy G hopefully there will be no lasting injuries, I snapped my spine in two places and crushed one of my vertabrae by 70% over 18 years ago now and I was back to work after 3 months with some help and manage just fine day to day, so hopefully your mate will be lucky as I was.
Thanks, Iron. That's very encouraging. ??

Back