Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How far are you willing to travel for work?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Just curious, I figured this topic has probably been posted in the past but people may have changed their views on it, or there may be an influx of newer people like me! 

The question is in the title, how far are YOU willing to travel to a job? How many houses/quotes would you want in an area that's far away for it to be worth your while?

Most of my work is 15-20 min drive away from home....but if it's a fairly decent size job I'll travel another 15 mins ..

I picked up a commercial job that's around 15 mins drive away from any other work yesterday....so I've factored in 30 mins travel time....I've priced the job at £90(an hours work with 30 mins travel time)...if it was a small terrace or a 3 bed semi then no I wouldn't take the job on.....

Furthest i currently go is 11miles but in that town i do 2 days both days are £350 days and ive got room for 4/5 more jobs each day as the work is compact. Thats as far as im willing to go, unless the job is worth my while.

The work i do for a housing developer pays very well, and they have a site popping up in Cambridge (70miles), a site in Norwich (25miles) & another site just outside Norwich (40miles) that ive been promised once they are up and running the 2 norwich sites will be a £500 day and the cambridge one will be a minimum £250 day which is handy coz my kids live near cambridge so i can see them for an extra visit.

Just curious, I figured this topic has probably been posted in the past but people may have changed their views on it, or there may be an influx of newer people like me! 

The question is in the title, how far are YOU willing to travel to a job? How many houses/quotes would you want in an area that's far away for it to be worth your while?
Before August I was doing approximately 2300 miles a week.

North Devon Somerset Dorset Cornwall 

My furthest round is 18 miles. Just two days there. But everything else is 12 miles or less. I would travel anywhere for the right price. 

Furthest I would travel is half an hour don't forget u gotta do that on way back aswell. Window cleaning makes sense to be local & tbh people prefer it

Our furthest job according to Google maps is 13 miles. We won't take on work further out, unless at some time there is a severe recession or near economic depression. In that case, all bets are off, if it came to no other choice to put food on the table.  Unlikely I think for things to turn that bad but I don't take anything for granted.

We usually do a handful on the way out, then work back towards base. That way if we have a problem : equipment, shortage of water, shortage of daylight, really foul weather moving in, we're nearer home to pick up the following day. Rather than maybe having to drive for miles to finish perhaps just one job.

About 25 minutes away. Brought my van brand new three and a half years ago. It’s just hit 16,000 miles.

If I go anywhere non work related, I use the car or motorbike.

Selling off my business in around 4-5 years, my van will probably be on around 45,000 only ??‍?

Our furthest work from home is around 300 miles it’s all commercial and very well priced 3-4 days every 6 weeks .

Domestic the furthest would be 8-10 miles maximum and we would be in that area all day so again it’s worth while 

Before August I was doing approximately 2300 miles a week.

North Devon Somerset Dorset Cornwall 
Hey you stay away from Cornwall !!!!!!!!! ????

Interesting! I work for someone at the moment and have done for about a year now and I am literally all over the place, the furthest being around an hour away but we have 2 weeks of domestic work there so I suppose it is worth it for him.

Would it not be cheaper, and easier, to go to the furthest point and work your way home with overnight stays. With planning you can get B&B deals at Premier Inns for around £45 a night, £35 room only.
It was evening visits to pre selected sites for covid 19 sanitisation. A to B to C and so on for 5 months 6 days a week for very good money. Never again as the distance was ridiculous and dangerous 

It was evening visits to pre selected sites for covid 19 sanitisation. A to B to C and so on for 5 months 6 days a week for very good money. Never again as the distance was ridiculous and dangerous 
That's why I asked about the stop overs. We did south London, a 5 hour job, and drove home the same day. Nearly 600 miles and 5 hours working in 30+ degrees. Not something I'd like to do often.

That's why I asked about the stop overs. We did south London, a 5 hour job, and drove home the same day. Nearly 600 miles and 5 hours working in 30+ degrees. Not something I'd like to do often.
The heat in March April may made driving more like a mobile oven in a van with no air conditioning  but summer 2017 was hotter 

its all subjective and relative, if someone is willing to pay you £500 to clean a very large detached house then id travel further than if it was £50

Our furthest work from home is around 300 miles it’s all commercial and very well priced 3-4 days every 6 weeks 
The farthest is about 100 miles one way travel.  3-4 days per resort every quarter. 4 different resort. Heres a couple pics of one. 

20201212_083444.jpg

20201212_083539.jpg

20201212_083521.jpg

20201212_083504.jpg

Back