Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best sill brush..

Hi guys..What's the best sill brush to use at the moment .one that's light and scrubs well..
If you use the search facility on the top right hand of the page you'll find the answers to a question that's been asked so many time before.

Or alternatively scroll through the water fed pole section and you'll see others posts 

Xtreme flocked sill brush. The dogs lower regions.?

Just wished it had a bit more longevity 

Have a great weekend fellow windies. Pub time. Still got to sit and eat though ???

I used to love the xtreme flocked sill brush. But found it was a pain to flick out any spider balls in the top left and right hand corners. The universal brush is like a lawn mower absloutley destroys spider balls throws them all over the place .

You need to be a bit more gentle and also use the brush bumper's, the standard xtreme's use to last me about 2 months so I stopped using them years ago
I took the bumpers off. Felt it caused ‘friction’ against the upvc frames and slowed me down.

It’s the bristles that wear quickly and lose the glide that flocked brushes provide 

I haven't had an issue with the bumpers, I prefer them been on as I do tend to catch the window reveals quite a bit so it will hold up better than the one I had without them fitted that I bought ages ago, but thought I'd try it again.

I love the xtreme sill brushes, unfortunately they only last me a month at a time. Maybe I'm a little heavy handed ?‍♂️

I moved on to the universal sill brush a little while back, love it;

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/universal-sill-26cm-brush-medium-soft.html
I have to wonder what on earth some folk do to kill brushes in a month or two???

We get the best part of a year out of ours. We do a fair amount of work with them, I think. As much as most people, I'd say, though we mostly only work part time hours.

We service around a hundred properties a week, give or take, in usually between twenty and thirty hours of work. They vary from very small to medium and very large, and we use heated water. Our Medium Mixed Sill Brushes have softened a fair bit with the heated water but are still working well, and the Extreme Sill Brush I use daily still looks very fresh after well over six months. It's hardly worn and hasn't suffered any noticeable visual or operational effects from the heated water.

I think, with a lot of operators there's probably too much scrubbing going on.

We don't scrub. Unless we see a need : bird or spider marks etc. I do see other operators I come across and they're faffing about, looking like they're trying to grind a hole through the glass. I don't get it? Mostly, certainly in my area we're only dealing with a light coating of dust. I can sometimes have the front of a house done while some of them I've seen are still drilling a hole through the same, one window.

As long as every bit of the work is agitated properly and rinsed down thoroughly, as I've said before; "Job done, quick glance. All good? Walk away."

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to wonder what on earth some folk do to kill brushes in a month or two???

We get the best part of a year out of ours. We do a fair amount of work with them, I think. As much as most people, I'd say, though we only work part time hours.

We service around a hundred properties a week, give or take, in usually between twenty and thirty hours of work. They vary from very small to medium and very large, and we use heated water. Our Medium Mixed Sill Brushes have softened a fair bit with the heated water but are still working well, and the Extreme Sill Brush I use daily still looks very fresh after well over six months. It's hardly worn and hasn't suffered any noticeable visual or operational effects from the heated water.

I think, with a lot of operators there's probably too much scrubbing going on.

We don't scrub. Unless we see a need : bird or spider marks etc. I do see other operators I come across and they're faffing about, looking like they're trying to grind a hole through the glass. I don't get it? Mostly, certainly in my area we're only dealing with a light coating of dust. I can sometimes have the front of a house done while some of them I've seen are still drilling a hole through the same, one window.

As long as every bit of the work is agitated properly and rinsed down thoroughly, as I've said before; "Job done, quick glance. All good? Walk away."
We uses supreame stiff brushes with hot water and get a maximum of 5-6 weeks out of one , I tend to rotate brushes from less used poles and then put the new brush on a less used pole . 

We uses supreame stiff brushes with hot water and get a maximum of 5-6 weeks out of one , I tend to rotate brushes from less used poles and then put the new brush on a less used pole . 
Yeah. You have a different level of contaminations to contend with than we do being at the coast. I understand that, but it's the way a lot of inland folk go through brushes that I don't understand. You're water might be way hotter than ours, I can't say. Our 60~65c in the tank is hot enough for us with our mostly maintenance washes. ?

Yeah. You have a different level of contaminations to contend with than we do being at the coast. I understand that, but it's the way a lot of inland folk go through brushes that I don't understand. You're water might be way hotter than ours, I can't say. Our 60~65c in the tank is hot enough for us with our mostly maintenance washes. ?
I don’t see why living on the coast should give shorter brush life , we do work 8 hours a day 5 days a week , water temperature at the brush obviously varies with the ambient air and ground temperature and how much hose is out , but it’s regularly the same as yours at the brush head Ime guessing yours if that’s tank temperature will probably be 10-25 degrees less at the brush . I remember the good old days with cold water and vikan sill brushes they would last 2-3 years you just couldn’t ware them out ??? but they weighed a ton !!!!! ????

I don’t see why living on the coast should give shorter brush life , we do work 8 hours a day 5 days a week , water temperature at the brush obviously varies with the ambient air and ground temperature and how much hose is out , but it’s regularly the same as yours at the brush head Ime guessing yours if that’s tank temperature will probably be 10-25 degrees less at the brush . I remember the good old days with cold water and vikan sill brushes they would last 2-3 years you just couldn’t ware them out ??? but they weighed a ton !!!!! ????
I started out with fibreglass poles, cold water and heavy Vikan sill brushes. ? Funny... I don't recall them being the good old days. You're made of sterner stuff than I am. ?

I started out with fibreglass poles, cold water and heavy Vikan sill brushes. ? Funny... I don't recall them being the good old days. You're made of sterner stuff than I am. ?
Back then we knew no different I remember borrowing a 60 foot pole off a friend to do a 6 storey hotel in Newquay it took two of us to get it in the air that had a vikan still brush on it and it felt like you had a whale on the end of the pole at 60 feet up was a nightmare of a job , then we advanced to the carbon extel poles again they were heavy but an improvement on the others , now with extream poles we are spoilt ????

Doesn’t that feel a lot heavier after using the extreme sill brush?
Yeah, it did at first anyway. Bit of a trade off. I do like the the Xtreme brushes but I've got a medium mixed one in the garage that was 2 weeks old but looks like its been run over by a truck ?‍♂️

I have to wonder what on earth some folk do to kill brushes in a month or two?
Wish I could tell you mate, it's definitely me and the way I work cos the lads that work with me don't have that issue. We have had the universal sill brushes for a few months now and after a soak they look brand new. I'm on cold water so its not the water causing the issue, I think its me knocking the edges into the sides. With regards to scrubbing we are bombarded with seagulls here and a lot of bird strikes, I agree with the rest of what you're saying so perhaps its the amount of scrubbing required. We also have an issue that some of the cotswold villages are very very mossy, scrubbing down into the corner of windows where moss has started to grow, come back 6 weeks later and its growing again. If I was gonna pinpoint a particular moment the brush takes a beating then its definitely while cleaning moss growth from seals. The universal doesn't seem to have the same issue.

Back