Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sterling bb1230 issue

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mx19

Hi all! 

wondering if anyone has any idea what’s going on with my bb1230 installed on a Peugeot expert 2020

I realised today it’s not actually charging the leisure battery (lion 105ah) so set out to figure it out. My battery voltage was 12.5 (which was exactly where it was left before a whole lot of driving recently) then I realised the link to select mode was missing so linked the 2 ports according to the manual, the top two for auto mode, turned on the ignition, went to check the voltage and it had dropped to 8.2 then while I looked at it it dropped further to 7.9!!!!

any ideas whatsoever anyone?!! As far as I can tell it’s all wired correctly with no loose connections!!

Hi all! 

wondering if anyone has any idea what’s going on with my bb1230 installed on a Peugeot expert 2020

I realised today it’s not actually charging the leisure battery (lion 105ah) so set out to figure it out. My battery voltage was 12.5 (which was exactly where it was left before a whole lot of driving recently) then I realised the link to select mode was missing so linked the 2 ports according to the manual, the top two for auto mode, turned on the ignition, went to check the voltage and it had dropped to 8.2 then while I looked at it it dropped further to 7.9!!!!

any ideas whatsoever anyone?!! As far as I can tell it’s all wired correctly with no loose connections!!
Sounds like a question for @spruce or @Apw1210

Hi all! 

So looking at the manual here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0658/7343/files/Instructions_fdeed176-2f0a-4bb6-9951-d948fcbd96fd.pdf?v=1603971261

I can't see the ports you mention. Using the link can you tell me which page the ports are listed on?

I would guess you just have +ve from van battery, -ve, +ve to leisure battery and maybe an ignition wire. There are also a couple of temp sensors that could be installed.

Are there any of the leds showing low volts or anything like that?

Have you checked all fuses including any that may be next to van battery?

Having a battery at 8v will quickly kill it. If you can't find the issue you need to bench charge battery asap.

Thank you for your reply @ched999uk!

I think I was looking at the wrong manual and linked 2 ports that shouldn’t have been linked which has drained the battery! Im Bench charging now and just hope I haven’t destroyed the battery! 
The thing I did is in the picture below, option 1. But looking at the manual you sent was something different.

I have reset the charger, set it to calcium to match my battery and tested with a multimeter and all seems to be working well now!

thanks a lot!

1E5FB78C-6654-48B3-BAF2-23AC037A9128.png

Hi all! 

My response to this is to contact George Sterling in the morning.

Which battery is showing the low voltage?

If your van has regenerative braking then you need to connect a trigger wire to the ignition switch. Its marked ign on the connector strip. Your Sterling unit will only activate when it sees a high charging voltage which doesn't happen straight away with a regenerative braking alternator. Is your leisure battery a Lithium ion or a Lion leisure battery. If its Lithium then it needs to be set up for Lithium ion charging rate and needs the temperature sensor connected.

If its a maintenance free battery then you must set the charging rate at 14,2v. If its a flooded battery then you set the charging rate at 14.6v.

They recommend that the negative wire from the leisure battery to the starter battery isn't through the van's body. I used the vans body for mine using the tank frame. Its been fine for near on 2 years.

All sorted now thanks guys!!! I tracked the problem down to a faulty cable between the fuse and the battery, with help from Ben at Sterling power. Thanks a lot all!!

All sorted now thanks guys!!! I tracked the problem down to a faulty cable between the fuse and the battery, with help from Ben at Sterling power. Thanks a lot all!!
Spend a few minutes when you have it mate and just familiarise yourself with your system and circuits. Will be beneficial later on if you get any faults 

Back