Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Christmas holidays?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bongofish

Hey guys and gals,

Is there such a thing as Xmas holidays?

I'm planning on taking the 24th - 27th off?

I would work Xmas Eve but my wife thinks nobody really wants a window cleaner at the windows in Xmas Eve , so wondering how your all working and how you work it?

If you take the week off, do you set that week back (which means setting every week back) , or do you just tell them customers unfortunately it's fallen on there week and they will have to wait until the month after?

Like always, appreciate all your comments,

Bongo

I work for a company and we are off from the 24th to the 4th and my understanding is we are just going to pick up from where we've left off after the break. I had someone last year who cancelled on me because I was a week late but hey ho, most of them are intelligent enough to understand why.

Taking 25th-4th off here too. Cleaned christmas eve last year and will do it again this year. Though hopefully not as late working as last year, was helping someone else out on their round to catch up a bit, finished cleaning at 5pm? Nocturnal window cleaning at its best.

Hi @Bongofish
 I think your wife is probably right.  For sure we won't be working Christmas Eve. We'll be stopping from the 23rd Dec to the 4th Jan.

We'll just put the work that would have been done back, to start again on the 4th and continue as normal. Ie: everyone goes back the same amount of time.

That means no-one has to wait six or seven weeks, and all the scheduling remains in the same order in our diary.

We do exactly the same for work time delayed due to : weather, holidays, vehicle maintenance etc. Everyone has to work around other stuff going on. Us and the customers.

Keep it simple. Don't make life more difficult or complicated than you need to. That's my advice.

Davy??

Hey guys and gals,

I would work Xmas Eve but my wife thinks nobody really wants a window cleaner at the windows in Xmas Eve , so wondering how your all working and how you work it?

If you take the week off, do you set that week back (which means setting every week back) , or do you just tell them customers unfortunately it's fallen on there week and they will have to wait until the month after?

Bongo
What's a holiday? I keep working, last year I worked up to 6pm Christmas eve and back out boxing day. Window Cleaning, retail cleaning to make use if the available funds. 

Christmas shut down in my opinion is ridiculous and unproductive.

Crazy how some so called religious event turned into full on financial hell 

What's a holiday? I keep working, last year I worked up to 6pm Christmas eve and back out boxing day. Window Cleaning, retail cleaning to make use if the available funds. 

Money is only worth so much, earnt more 20 years ago then I do now but I now can have time off.

Use to ring work from payphones on Spanish beaches, shoveling Pesetas in as if they'd gone out of fashion to make sure everything was ok during my 1 week a year family holiday.

For residential work, parking and access around homes will be nightmare whilst most people are off work, plus no one wants anyone round when they are having time off over xmas,

Not sure if I will work xmas eve or not I might do a half day but I will be off till the 4th Jan as I like my chill out time.

Finish this Friday, go back 4th of Jan 2 weeks of doing sweet fa.
Same here - in spite of the fact I'm currently two weeks behind schedule.

I've found this is also a good time to move jobs around the schedule if you need to so the round is more efficient for next year.

We finish on the 24th and are back on the 5th, I always look forward to my time off over the xmas holidays ,  no worrying about scheduling jobs, no filling the tanks up  :D lol 

im finishing on tuesday 22nd and going back on the 4th jan.....a nice 12 days off.....my brother has booked a 10 bedroom house in wales for 9 of us for xmas eve,xmas day and boxing day.....looking forward to it!

ill have had enough of xmas by the 4th thats for sure!?

You sound like a right laugh ?

Hey guys and gals,

Bongo
What with all this ‘setting a week back’ nonsense?

Why have such a tight schedule?

Just finish on the 23rd and running up to that date tell your customers you’ll be a couple of weeks late next time.

Then you just pick up where you left off. This type of freedom is the whole purpose of being self employed ??‍?

Same here - in spite of the fact I'm currently two weeks behind schedule.

I've found this is also a good time to move jobs around the schedule if you need to so the round is more efficient for next year.
You're right, it's a good time to tidy up the round planning and the scheduling. We tweek a bit nearly every year though it's working pretty well at the moment. It got easier over a bit of time. A lot of it is down to the confidence we gain over a while of dealing with customers.

Stop on the 23rd or maybe 24th, start back in the New Year. Need a few days off now, it's not healthy to not take a break occasionally. It is a good time to look at the schedule.

We finish 24th December and go back either on the 5th or 11 th of January I haven’t made up my mind which yet ???
Lazy sod?.

You working for the fire service during that time?

Hi @Bongofish
 I think your wife is probably right.  For sure we won't be working Christmas Eve. We'll be stopping from the 23rd Dec to the 4th Jan.

We'll just put the work that would have been done back, to start again on the 4th and continue as normal. Ie: everyone goes back the same amount of time.

That means no-one has to wait six or seven weeks, and all the scheduling remains in the same order in our diary.

We do exactly the same for work time delayed due to : weather, holidays, vehicle maintenance etc. Everyone has to work around other stuff going on. Us and the customers.

Keep it simple. Don't make life more difficult or complicated than you need to. That's my advice.

Davy??
Exactly the same with me Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back