Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

condensation on windows

Daftoldgit

How do other people deal with windscreen condensation?  what with the van getting a bit wet inside, and a pathetic wisp of air from the demister,  my windscreen mists up double quick, are the anti misting products man enough for a WC van?

Been a bit of pain for me these past weeks as my van has been parked outside my garage, the amount of moisture in the back of the van is ridiculous along with misted up windscreen ? over the weekend I am going to dry out the van and put a oil filled rad in the back and that should hopefully sort it out.

Switch the aircon on, that clears it quickly!

we have a dehumidifier in the house so I’ll put it in the van a couple of weekends a year when it’s empty.

How do other people deal with windscreen condensation?  what with the van getting a bit wet inside, and a pathetic wisp of air from the demister,  my windscreen mists up double quick, are the anti misting products man enough for a WC van?
I would say stop the  spillage of water we don’t get this issue with any of our vans , I would start by wiping the screen with a microfibres cloth to remove the worst of it then use the de mister on hot  

I would say stop the  spillage of water we don’t get this issue with any of our vans , I would start by wiping the screen with a microfibres cloth to remove the worst of it then use the de mister on hot  
.... and don't use the re-circulation option. Always draw fresh air in from the outside. Crack a window open slightly to remove the damp air inside.

As you say, stop the interior water spillages goes a long way to a dry van. Giving the pole a good shake to remove excess water from the brush head before packing it away helps. We also empty the pole hose of water before coiling it up to put it away. We don't have fixed hose reels. Before the hose reels are put back we push some Hozelok tap connectors into the reel connector that are filled with silicone adhesive. This stops the water dripping from the hose reel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insulation in your van between ply lining and panels, 

Two army or long football style socks filled with basic white tesco cat litter is an old army trick for drying boots but works as desiccant moisture trap when left on the dash near windscreen.

Or poundland desiccant disposable dehumidifiers are the same 

Condensation is caused by the outer temperature being less or greater than the inner temperature. Insulated water tanks will help reduce the overall levels 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain-X (I think that’s what it’s called) do a product that stops the inside misting up. We used to use it on aircraft windscreens (in and out) and it works really well. It’s available to joe public now as we had it around 15 years ago for aircraft use.  Obviously you’d have to do it every other week or so but it’s a decent enough fix 

Lots of good suggestions, thanks! I'll try them out starting with the dehumidifier gel things as I have some in the shed.  Spruce do you use the sealed hoselocks in the pole hose too? thats one of the problem areas for me, a pool of water under the pole hose.

It was that bad yesterday that simply pouring a coffee misted the windscreen!

Lots of good suggestions, thanks! I'll try them out starting with the dehumidifier gel things as I have some in the shed.  Spruce do you use the sealed hoselocks in the pole hose too? thats one of the problem areas for me, a pool of water under the pole hose.

Going tubeless will solve this! 

Army advice was to match the outer temperature with the inner. As soon as you get in the van open the windows while the engine heats up.

Its all about equalisation 

it was so thick this morning I had to squeegee it off!  Just put a couple of dehumidifier gel bags on the dashboard, hopefully that will make a difference.

its hardly a major problem...a squeegee will sort it if its thick...i have a steel bulkhead and some mornings its thick too and the heated windscreen needs a bit of help.....although once im half way to my first job my van is toasty and dry in the cab.....?

its just one of them things when you have a WFP van!

its hardly a major problem...a squeegee will sort it if its thick...i have a steel bulkhead and some mornings its thick too and the heated windscreen needs a bit of help.....although once im half way to my first job my van is toasty and dry in the cab.....?

its just one of them things when you have a WFP van!
If you have a sheet steel bulkhead it's thermally conductive and amplifies the inner vehicle temperature imbalance.

If you get an old or cheap new duvet and dark duvet cover and attach it to the bulkhead in the rear of the van by using what fixings suit you best that will create a thermal barrier between the cab and load bay of the van. 

When you get in the van and get the heating going it's only going to heat the cab and will accelerate the Demisting and heating timescale 

If you have a sheet steel bulkhead it's thermally conductive and amplifies the inner vehicle temperature imbalance.

If you get an old or cheap new duvet and dark duvet cover and attach it to the bulkhead in the rear of the van by using what fixings suit you best that will create a thermal barrier between the cab and load bay of the van. 

When you get in the van and get the heating going it's only going to heat the cab and will accelerate the Demisting and heating timescale 
i couldnt be arsed with that.....its easier just to use my squeegee on my windscreen!(it doesnt get used much these days!)?

Back