Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looking for a decent watch

Amazin

bit off topic but not completely, looking to buy a decent watch for myself to keep an eye on the how much time I'm spending per task. Need to be water resistant ideally just incase. Ideally between £100-150

bit off topic but not completely, looking to buy a decent watch for myself to keep an eye on the how much time I'm spending per task. Need to be water resistant ideally just incase. Ideally between £100-150
Get a decent casio G shock, I have the moon and tide model.

Guessing my Seiko kentetic is out of your price range.

Casioak.

or just ball out and get a 5712 nautilus. Or Rolex 16600. Water resistant to like 1200metres. Perfect for our job. Fit a nato strap and you’re good to go!

just kidding.

google casioak. Great value watch. Good resale value too if you ever want to get rid.

If your just looking to time your jobs, you could just get a kitchen timer for very small money. We use them all the time for that purpose. One is on the bulkhead at the side door work station, and one at the back door work station, so either my son or myself can set the timer to record the time taken for our records. Both are magnetic for mounting. Both have timer and countdown capabilities. We only use the timers.

If your just looking to time your jobs, you could just get a kitchen timer for very small money. We use them all the time for that purpose. One is on the bulkhead at the side door work station, and one at the back door work station, so either my son or myself can set the timer to record the time taken for our records. Both are magnetic for mounting. Both have timer and countdown capabilities. We only use the timers.
Or some sand in a tube haha ?⏳

20201217_102242.jpg

I've got a garmin forerunner 235 watch....it cost me around £120....totally waterproof and its handy for answering my phone when I'm working....I've had it over 12 months now and it's been superb....

Last edited by a moderator:
If its just for use while working then honestly just get a cheap one. For £10 you can get a classic Casio water resistant watch from Argos with a stainless steel back. Alarm and Stopwatch included for timing jobs. It'll last for years. 

If you want to invest in a nice one for the long term that you can use when out and about then it's better to buy a decent watch as a cheap one will look a bit battered wearing it every day cleaning windows. I don't mean a designer watch with a high price tag and a £3 movement inside. They are often poorly built and your just paying for the name. 

I'd look out for something with a jewelled Swiss movement. A solid stainless steel back and case (if its stamped "stainless steel back" on the back cover then its going to be chrome plated base metal). Sapphire crystal glass to resist scratches. Either a genuine leather strap or stainless steel bracelet. Water resistant to 100m so it can survive being temporarily submerged. This also gives it a high resistance to dust ingress. 

Then there is the choice of quartz or automatic mechanical. 

Quartz is much more accurate and also cheaper. However you have to change a battery occasionally which is an opportunity for dust to get in and for damage to be caused. 

Automatics using a mechanical movement aren't as accurate (they use a balance that occilates 5 times a second compared to the 32,000 vibrations a second in a quartz). But, you never have to open the case if you don't want to. They have a half moon counterweight that winds the mainspring using your bodies movements. 

I have a Tissot PR100 automatic and it has very rarely ever left my wrist in 17 years. In perfect condition, not a single scratch or mark on the glass despite the fact I haven't been particularly careful with it and even wore it for a couple of years while scaffolding. It'll probably still be working decades from now. Also these types of watches can be serviced and repaired at any decent jewellers/watchmakers if they ever develop problems and spare parts will be available for a long long time. If you treat them well though, they'll probably outlast you. 

If its just for use while working then honestly just get a cheap one. For £10 you can get a classic Casio water resistant watch from Argos with a stainless steel back. Alarm and Stopwatch included for timing jobs. It'll last for years. 

If you want to invest in a nice one for the long term that you can use when out and about then it's better to buy a decent watch as a cheap one will look a bit battered wearing it every day cleaning windows. I don't mean a designer watch with a high price tag and a £3 movement inside. They are often poorly built and your just paying for the name. 

I'd look out for something with a jewelled Swiss movement. A solid stainless steel back and case (if its stamped "stainless steel back" on the back cover then its going to be chrome plated base metal). Sapphire crystal glass to resist scratches. Either a genuine leather strap or stainless steel bracelet. Water resistant to 100m so it can survive being temporarily submerged. This also gives it a high resistance to dust ingress. 

Quartz is much more accurate and also cheaper. However you have to change a battery occasionally which is an opportunity for dust to get in and for damage to be caused. 

Automatics using a mechanical movement aren't as accurate (they use a balance that occilates 5 times a second compared to the 32,000 vibrations a second in a quartz). But, you never have to open the case if you don't want to. They have a half moon counterweight that winds the mainspring using your bodies movements. 

I have a Tissot PR100 automatic and it has very rarely ever left my wrist in 17 years. In perfect condition, not a single scratch or mark on the glass despite the fact I haven't been particularly careful with it and even wore it for a couple of years while scaffolding. It'll probably still be working decades from now. Also these types of watches can be serviced and repaired at any decent jewellers/watchmakers if they ever develop problems and spare parts will be available for a long long time. If you treat them well though, they'll probably outlast you. 
Was going to read all that about the watch, but haven’t got the time ?

was more technical than explaining how the Apollo,s got to the moon.(lol)
Sorry.. ? I got into watches in a big way when I was working at a jewellers. Half the time repairing jewellery in the back and the other half watch/jewellery sales out front, but learnt basic watch repairs like replacing the stem & button, replacing glass, regulating mechanical watches etc. 

The place had its own watchmaker who basically lived in a messy workshop above the shop surrounded by thousands of parts and random boxes, obscure tools and hundreds of ticking clocks..(it got crazy at noon!) I eventually started training with him to properly learn watch repair, but after a few days he kinda got committed to a asylum.. Probably decades sat alone surrounded by clocks! 

Anyway, I decided to change my career path after that and getting out into the fresh air more would be better! 

I've got a phone it has the time on the screen, I just don't get why people want a watch for work, get crack on and finish when you finish 

Davy G - Agreed. A bit random?‍♂️?.

Our timers are branded ; Masterclass. They are advertised on Amazon for less than £10. Though we bought ours from Rowse's hardware shop in Royal Wootton Bassett. It's the oldest family owned shop in the town. We support local independent businesses when we can.

Automatic watches. Not servicesdin 17 years. Consider a service as the oil will likely need a change. All those gears and friction. Micro particles get in the oil which is designed to lubricator quickly becomes a micro abrasive.

you prob know that though working in a jewellers. 

Back