Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1st builders clean in ages!

BigFoot

I stopped doing builders cleans years ago after walking off a nightmare job. I promised  myself I would never do any ever again. Yesterday, a good friend that has helped Me a great deal in the past asked if id do a builders clean on a property for a customer before they move in for Christmas. I couldn't say no so asking for some tips for builders cleans so I can do a proper job.

So fire away with advice. Also I've noticed this ghosting of on the glass from a photo sent, any ideas what it is and how to remove it?

779110E8-5F19-40E2-A819-894DB1CE4667.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would appreciate any tips on this as well.

I started a new job yesterday in a new block of flats. I'm completely ladderless now. And have been for a number of years.

My problem is that the first floor flat I was asked to clean yesterday has two windows where the builders ripped off four large paper labels (each about 30cm square) leaving the backing on the glass. I used No Nonsense degreaser to soften everything up and used a razor scraper attached to the pole to remove the remaining paper and muck but it hasn't entirely gotten rid of the glue. The customer doesn't want me on ladders either so any suggestions would be helpful here too. I use the Gardiner 'Water Through Pads' on bad first cleans as a rule. Is there anything I can put on the pads to dissolve the glue?

why do you need advice on cleaning a window when you ve been window cleaning for years?basically a builders clean is a very dirty first clean....

1.make sure you ve got a decent scraper(like a 4in unger ninja)and a few spare blades

2.be prepared to trad some windows

3.have some solvent for sticky labels,etc

4.BE CAREFUL....take pics of any windows with scratches  BEFORE you clean them

if some of the windows and frames are caked in cement then id refuse the job(mate or no mate)......

All we do is builders cleans. 

The windows are shocking. I'm fortunate that my staff are good at them. If you don't have ladders. Get access to the flat and open the window from the inside and clean as normal. Tar and glue sprayed onto the stickers. Scraper with an old blade on the frames and a brand new blade on each window pane

I've never used T&G cleaner before so I've ordered some and will give it a go on my next visit to this customer.  Thanks for the tip

Last edited by a moderator:
why do you need advice on cleaning a window when you ve been window cleaning for years?basically a builders clean is a very dirty first clean....
To me builders cleans are different and are full of additional challenges to my regular first cleans hence the pain in the @r$e premium price. eg, building chemicals on glass like the ghosting in the photo and glass covered in cement, render, labels etc.

My business plan has been to turn a lot of the more time consuming work away because I Only want easy, well priced, quick, repeat work. It means I actively avoid much of the above so maybe I'm not as sharp as other cleaners in this area hence the welcome advice. 

Any ideas on the ghosting best solutions etc?

I have no idea what to use!

All we do is builders cleans. 

The windows are shocking. I'm fortunate that my staff are good at them. If you don't have ladders. Get access to the flat and open the window from the inside and clean as normal. Tar and glue sprayed onto the stickers. Scraper with an old blade on the frames and a brand new blade on each window pane
Any suggestion for the ghosting on the glass in the photo above?

It looks like wash off from the render? 

I would appreciate any tips on this as well.

I started a new job yesterday in a new block of flats. I'm completely ladderless now. And have been for a number of years.

My problem is that the first floor flat I was asked to clean yesterday has two windows where the builders ripped off four large paper labels (each about 30cm square) leaving the backing on the glass. I used No Nonsense degreaser to soften everything up and used a razor scraper attached to the pole to remove the remaining paper and muck but it hasn't entirely gotten rid of the glue. The customer doesn't want me on ladders either so any suggestions would be helpful here too. I use the Gardiner 'Water Through Pads' on bad first cleans as a rule. Is there anything I can put on the pads to dissolve the glue?
I get this on some new builds, which have been bought under the help to buy scheme or are social housing, non of these are given a builders clean by the contractors for the house builder, 

There isn't stickers on the glass but up to 4 stickers on each window frame, even cement and silicone on upper windows, I do feel bad for not been able to remove them but there isn't anything I can do, I clearly explain that I don't do builder's cleans etc and if I did I would have to charge them a lot more as it would take a ladder, chemicals and a lot more work. The stickers are almost welded on because they have been left on the frames for months are as stubborn as hell. 

that will be the wash off from the render i'd imagine 
It came off very easy, Tbh it was a fairly uneventful clean, no stickers no cement no plaster. It was a £120,000 worth of glass on an ultra modern extension. The house was by far the most expensive I’ve worked on. more than £5+ million Probably a lot more. 

It came off very easy, Tbh it was a fairly uneventful clean, no stickers no cement no plaster. It was a £120,000 worth of glass on an ultra modern extension. The house was by far the most expensive I’ve worked on. more than £5+ million Probably a lot more. 
So you had no issues with ghosting or anything?

Congrats on the most expensive home you have done to date! ?

Back