Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Large Water Storage Tank

P4dstar

Premium Member
Anyone use a large water storage tank, I'm looking at a 3200 litre one like this;

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/water-tanks/water-storage-tanks/3000-litre-water-tanks/3200-litre-round-water-tank.html

I imagine I could comfortably supply 4/5 vans with this. Just hoping someone can give me some advice on this, particularly if you use one. Anything I need to be aware of, any advice on getting a good deal on one?

The plan is to buy it and cut a 30mm hole for the house. It looks like the flood pump will drop straight inside the lid so just a small hole for the wire and it would be a neat contained unit.

Anyone use a large water storage tank, I'm looking at a 3200 litre one like this;

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/water-tanks/water-storage-tanks/3000-litre-water-tanks/3200-litre-round-water-tank.html

I imagine I could comfortably supply 4/5 vans with this. Just hoping someone can give me some advice on this, particularly if you use one. Anything I need to be aware of, any advice on getting a good deal on one?

The plan is to buy it and cut a 30mm hole for the house. It looks like the flood pump will drop straight inside the lid so just a small hole for the wire and it would be a neat contained unit.
Why do you want that much storage capacity???? We have 3 vans and have filtration in each van so can produce water anywhere, the tank you have put up looks ok Ime guessing it’s an oil storage tank but that’s not a problem, I would cut the hole in the lid on the top then you could replace the lid if needed so the tank isn’t damaged .

What ever you put it on is going to have to be quite strong and very good foundations!!! 3.2tons of water!!!

I assume it's more agro using 3 or 4 IBC tanks connected together?

Why do you want that much storage capacity???? We have 3 vans and have filtration in each van so can produce water anywhere, the tank you have put up looks ok Ime guessing it’s an oil storage tank but that’s not a problem, I would cut the hole in the lid on the top then you could replace the lid if needed so the tank isn’t damaged .
I assumed you had something like this you know. I prefer quick fill. If I need to fill the van its done in less than 10 mins currently. It can be running all day while we work. The thought was that as we got bigger the system would just run more and more. Eventually I'd upgrade to a double RO set up but I think my current system would produce enough to fill the tank on a 24 hour cycle even if we used every drop.

it's also worth thinking about the cost of those RO's, each system would cost as much as one of these tanks. I've got a garage so may as well make use of it.

Cracking idea about the lid, can't believe I didn't think about that.

What ever you put it on is going to have to be quite strong and very good foundations!!! 3.2tons of water!!!

I assume it's more agro using 3 or 4 IBC tanks connected together?
Absolute PITA adding more IBC's. The benefit with one of these tanks is they're taller than an IBC so makes use of more space. Its a solid concrete floor in the garage, no difference to storing a large vehicle in there I reckon... well mostly.

I assumed you had something like this you know. I prefer quick fill. If I need to fill the van its done in less than 10 mins currently. It can be running all day while we work. The thought was that as we got bigger the system would just run more and more. Eventually I'd upgrade to a double RO set up but I think my current system would produce enough to fill the tank on a 24 hour cycle even if we used every drop.

it's also worth thinking about the cost of those RO's, each system would cost as much as one of these tanks. I've got a garage so may as well make use of it.

Cracking idea about the lid, can't believe I didn't think about that.

Absolute PITA adding more IBC's. The benefit with one of these tanks is they're taller than an IBC so makes use of more space. Its a solid concrete floor in the garage, no difference to storing a large vehicle in there I reckon... well mostly.
We have twin ROS in the vans and booster pumps and can produce 1000 ltr in 2 hours we do work away from home so need to be able to fill anywhere, my misses would go nuts if I had a tank like that in the garden ?????, if you are going to go down that route then you will probably need an auto flush as well by the time you have finished it will work out quite expensive. 

Its a solid concrete floor in the garage, no difference to storing a large vehicle in there I reckon... well mostly.
Problem is a vehicle's weight is distributed across the concrete pad foundation not all at one end/side. You might find the floor cracks but you might be lucky, depends on how good a builder was who built it. If it's a relatively new build be very careful as most new build garages aren't big enough for cars so they might have scrimped on the slab!!

Great storage tanks but but need to be kept clean. 

Installing a commercial grade ball **** will help with filling it and auto shut off 

Another top tip is get a builder to build blockwork raised base for it if you intend to drain it from the base as you'll have gravity helping your transfer pump 

Using a sump pump will mean drilling holes in the top where using a lower pump will be easier 

Last edited by a moderator:
We have twin ROS in the vans and booster pumps and can produce 1000 ltr in 2 hours we do work away from home so need to be able to fill anywhere, my misses would go nuts if I had a tank like that in the garden ?????, if you are going to go down that route then you will probably need an auto flush as well by the time you have finished it will work out quite expensive. 
I’m on a 4040 RO, got it from Daqua. Not sure I’ve ever seen an auto flush system for something that size mate. I have seen them installed on XLine and Streamline systems though. To be honest for the small amount of times I need to fill up away from home Spotless do the trick. The have also just moved their unit miles closer to my house should my system ever fail, so that’s good news too!

Problem is a vehicle's weight is distributed across the concrete pad foundation not all at one end/side. You might find the floor cracks but you might be lucky, depends on how good a builder was who built it. If it's a relatively new build be very careful as most new build garages aren't big enough for cars so they might have scrimped on the slab!!
it’s a 70s house so not too worried about build quality. It’s a fair point though, the garage is a stop gap until we have enough work to buy a commercial unit. I may consider a 2500 instead, they can always be linked and 5000 litres should supply 7-8 vans on a daily basis. Would most definitely need a double RO then.

Great storage tanks but but need to be kept clean. 

Installing a commercial grade ball **** will help with filling it and auto shut off 

Another top tip is get a builder to build blockwork raised base for it if you intend to drain it from the base as you'll have gravity helping your transfer pump 

Using a sump pump will mean drilling holes in the top where using a lower pump will be easier 
I like @Pjj’s plan of drilling the lid to be fair. I’ve got a solenoid shut off and it appears these tanks are made with a point to fit them at directly.

I’m quite surprised no one on here uses one to be fair.

Heads up fella 

If you are going down this route. It is way better to have a on/off valve at the bottom of the tank. Then a industrial delivery pump with a 1 to 3 inch delivery hose. I have this set up and it has been bullet proof for 9 years. Never missed a beat. This way nothing goes in the tank, accept pure water. If you ever need to replace the pump or hose its easy. Also the gravity feed is great as the pump is always primed and ready to go. 2 1000 litre IBC tanks will run 3 vans easy. If you fill one at tea time then 2 in the morning.

Heads up fella 

If you are going down this route. It is way better to have a on/off valve at the bottom of the tank. Then a industrial delivery pump with a 1 to 3 inch delivery hose. I have this set up and it has been bullet proof for 9 years. Never missed a beat. This way nothing goes in the tank, accept pure water. If you ever need to replace the pump or hose its easy. Also the gravity feed is great as the pump is always primed and ready to go. 2 1000 litre IBC tanks will run 3 vans easy. If you fill one at tea time then 2 in the morning.
My own personal method aswell.

I'm using a dual IBC setup which is off the ground on a double spill base.

2" outlets both link via 32mm flowplast pipe and a joining manifold i built. Both tanks are sealed only with pure water feed in and one way vent valves in the lids.

Both IBC can independently be drained and feed a Clarke 1200w 1" pump with a flow switch.

15m of 25m of wall mounted fire hose on a reel and fuel station style full nozzle.

Squeeze the nozzle and the pump starts up.

Like you say, Gravity pays 

My own personal method aswell.

I'm using a dual IBC setup which is off the ground on a double spill base.

2" outlets both link via 32mm flowplast pipe and a joining manifold i built. Both tanks are sealed only with pure water feed in and one way vent valves in the lids.

Both IBC can independently be drained and feed a Clarke 1200w 1" pump with a flow switch.

15m of 25m of wall mounted fire hose on a reel and fuel station style full nozzle.

Squeeze the nozzle and the pump starts up.

Like you say, Gravity pays 
Just out of interest how much water do you use a week and why do you store so much ?...

Just out of interest how much water do you use a week and why do you store so much ?...
I use around 1ton a week but also supply a friend. Always good to have water on hand incase others i know locally need it desperately 

I only ever have around 1.5ton at any time in winter 
We produce between 2300 to 3500 ltr per day but don’t store it we have filtration in the vans , my misses would go nuts if I started having ibc tanks in the garage or garden ???

Lol talking of water beds , one of my customers had a hose from an outside tap going through an upstairs bedroom window , I got talking to him asking why was the garden hose going into the bedroom he said he was re filling the bed after having a mattress or what ever you call it replaced under warranty he said he and his wife were in bed and it suddenly sprung a leak and they thought they were in a fountain rather than in bed , I nearly collapsed with laughter ???? 

Back