Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Where to position my tank?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

sgcleaning

Hi all

Recently purchased a new Ford Transit Custom SWB and I am thinking of where to put my 500L upright tank. In my old Citroen Dispatch, I had it right by the bulkhead, however I am thinking of having the tank in the middle instead?

Any suggestions in regards to this or is it just a case of personal preference?

Many thanks

I suggest you position it in the back of the van. It would look ridiculous on the roof.

Seriously though, in a SWB van it is normally dictated by where you can drill holes (Assuming you're having or have a frame) you're probably best having it against the bulk head or as close as possible. If it were MWB or LWB the space between the tank and bulkhead could be useful, in a SWB not so much.

It's probably ok wherever but check your axle limits and what weight they are currently carrying unladen. You don't want to overload either axle. You probably have less margin on front axle but best to check. 

Anywhere forward of the rear axle, but the layout of the underside of the van may dictate what you can do, it did with my T4.

Thanks for the replies everyone, can I access the layout of the underside of my van online?
Just have a look underneath it and take some measurements from inside and then check them underneath, always measure several times before cutting or drilling especially around fuel tanks , brake lines or suspension, or wiring looms , and fuel lines , unless you are very competent it will be better to pay a professional to do it for  you 

Against bulkhead i dont see why you wouldnt use every bit of safety that you can.
I was always of this school of thought but am toying with the idea of putting my tank far enough away from bulkhead to put my gutter vac and other bits in front of it as I have dual side loading doors so the dead space for me is more in the middle!

Must admit I was very interested in this thread but totally confused by it if Ime honest 
Basically the center of the load place over the center of say the rear axle will mean the axle will take the full load. As the load is moved forward of the axle then the weight over the rear axle reduces as its transferred to the front axle. If you place the center of the load exactly half way between the front and rear axle then both axles will take half the load weight each.

This is why its important to get someone to fit the tank who is experienced in doing that.

My son has a Berlingo van with an 800kg payload. His 500 liter upright tank is behind the bulkhead. If you open the side sliding door and look from a distance you can see that the center of his tank is much closer to the rear axle than the front. In his case that 500 liter tank is positioned correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically the center of the load place over the center of say the rear axle will mean the axle will take the full load. As the load is moved forward of the axle then the weight over the rear axle reduces as its transferred to the front axle. If you place the center of the load exactly half way between the front and rear axle then both axles will take half the load weight each.

This is why its important to get someone to fit the tank who is experienced in doing that.

My son has a Berlingo van with an 800kg payload. His 500 liter upright tank is head the bulkhead. If you open the side sliding door and look from a distance you can see that the center of his tank is closer to the rear axle than the front. In his case that 500 liter tank is positioned correctly.
My tank is roughly half way between front and rear axels but I struggled to understand all the information that was posted on this subject the firm that fitted my tank said it was fine where I had put it , partly buy luck and partly by measuring up ????

Where to put the tank is critical to safety. If you have too heavy a load too close to front axle or too close to rear axle can overload an axle. This means that braking efficiency is reduced so stopping distances increase!!!!

There is a plate under the bonnet or on a door panel that gives max axle loads. Ideally you want to spread the load 50/50 between the axles as long as that doesn't put too much load on either axle. The complication is that it can be quite difficult to find actual axle loads when unladed. Sometimes only way to know is go to weigh bridge and weigh front and then rear to find weights. 

It is a bit complex but not too difficult really. Ultimately if you can't work out how to calculate tank position it's best to get a company that knows how to fit tanks properly to do it. 

Where to put the tank is critical to safety. If you have too heavy a load too close to front axle or too close to rear axle can overload an axle. This means that braking efficiency is reduced so stopping distances increase!!!!

There is a plate under the bonnet or on a door panel that gives max axle loads. Ideally you want to spread the load 50/50 between the axles as long as that doesn't put too much load on either axle. The complication is that it can be quite difficult to find actual axle loads when unladed. Sometimes only way to know is go to weigh bridge and weigh front and then rear to find weights. 

It is a bit complex but not too difficult really. Ultimately if you can't work out how to calculate tank position it's best to get a company that knows how to fit tanks properly to do it. 
Yes that’s what I did , I put the tank where I wanted it did a few measurements, then took it to an ionics authorised fitting centre and they checked  it and said it was fine just a slight movement of a couple of inches to avoid exhaust  in the way , it does handle well once it’s all finished ( still waiting for  the internal roof rack system to arrive !!) I will take it to the weigh bridge and see how it all works out fir weight distribution, and GVW , might need to put less water in the tank ???

As I mentioned before, one of the local lads has his 650liter tank fitted width ways up against the bulkhead of his Citroen Relay 60 plate. His payload is lower than my equivalent Peugeot Boxer van. He has already replaced the steering pump. I told him why but he says he isn't going to move the tank now was his response.

His is a typical example of fitting your own tank without knowing the implications of doing it. As @Pjjhas previously mentioned, having a professional install is even more important when you employ. This windie has a chap who works with him from time to time so it makes getting this right even more important.

As I mentioned before, one of the local lads has his 650liter tank fitted width ways up against the bulkhead of his Citroen Relay 60 plate. His payload is lower than my equivalent Peugeot Boxer van. He has already replaced the steering pump. I told him why but he says he isn't going to move the tank now was his response.
My Vivaro has a 650l tank width ways against the bulkhead and nearly 10 years later still handles as good as ever.

We however don't bump up kerbs, much, and try and avoid potholes.

My Vivaro has a 650l tank width ways against the bulkhead and nearly 10 years later still handles as good as ever.

We however don't bump up kerbs, much, and try and avoid potholes.
If you look at your tank with the side door open you will see that the tank positioned this way is much closer to the rear axle than the front axle on the 2900.

My 500L upright tank is fitted length ways from my steel bulkhead....personally I think this is the best placement in my connect van as it allows equipment/gear to be stored down the sides of my van(2 batteries down one side and trad gear down the other near my side loading door)...the weight is evenly distributed between both axles....

His is a typical example of fitting your own tank without knowing the implications of doing it. As @Pjjhas previously mentioned, having a professional install is even more important when you employ. This windie has a chap who works with him from time to time so it makes getting this right even more important.
I know a lad who has 2 helpers that he has on separate days so one helper at a time, he has x2 500ltr tanks strapped into the back of a proace ?

Back