Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Extreme 22 help

Andy1979

Morning guy’s

Hoping for a little bit of advice I’ve currently got a shoulder injury and it’s time for a new pole I would go for an extreme 18 as I won’t to get the weight down as much as possible to help my shoulder issue but it’s out of stock so was wondering if any of you guys have a 22ft extreme but use it as an 18 and keep the 22ft section in the van for as and when needed ?

I know this isn’t a problem to do with the slx but was wondering if it’s possible to do with the extreme or are the base sections reinforced on the extreme. ?

Not sure on this but if you buy an Xtreme 18 I don't think they do an extension for it to take it to a 22', so why not buy the 22 and buy the end section for an 18, another £100 or so. Email Gardiners as the 18 might be due in stock soon

Not sure on this but if you buy an Xtreme 18 I don't think they do an extension for it to take it to a 22', so why not buy the 22 and buy the end section for an 18, another £100 or so. Email Gardiners as the 18 might be due in stock soon
Thanks I’ll have to look into that although I’m not to bothered about the 22ft section as I’ve got a couple of bigger slx poles.

buying a 22ft then an 18 base section would put it out of my budget to be honest the 22ft is already stretching it. I did email Gardiners yesterday and they said there expecting the 18 back in stock at the end of January ideally I would have liked to get one before I start back after Christmas as hopefully my shoulder will be a little better by then so don’t won’t to smash it up again before getting a new pole ?

might have to go with the back up plan of the ova 8 hi mod 22ft as that one can definitely be used as an 18ft although I think it is a bit heavier than the extreme ?

The slight problem is the bottom section of gardiners carbon poles have an insulated layer. This is in case you hit a live cable as the carbon is conductive! With an insulated bottom section you wouldn't get a shock. If you remove a section there would be no insulation to protect you. I have no idea how risky this is in real world. 

Also all gardiner carbon extension sections are insulated. 

If you buy a 22 but use as 18 you also need an end cap but gardiners sell those. 

Best pole out I changed from the SLX to the 22 extreme because of getting older ,best decision I made fantastic light pole ,stick with 22 so light you will notice no difference between 18 to 22. Follow the maintenance regime on looking after the extreme poles and you cant go wrong. With the xtreme its the rolls Royce of poles and yes you do get what you paid for, I can now work all day not feeling knackered anymore and do cartwheels at the end of the day lol, excellent pole

Got to be honest, the difference between the 18 and 22 weight wise is negligible even with a shoulder injury and I stepped up from an 18 slx to a 22 slx because it was just to short for some jobs

iv noticed the extreme  is not as lasting as the slx,       tends to wear out more  at the tops  causing spinning.    Compared to my slx poles.    

I have both extream 18 and 22 to be honest the difference in weight is minimal and the 22 has a fatter base section making it easier to hold , Ime sure you would find it’s ok and won’t affect your shoulder , the extra length comes in useful as well on some jobs , I wouldn’t buy the 18 again I would go for the 22 .

I don't think the spinning is due to wear so much as the fact that the tolerances between the sections on the Xtreme's are finer.  Hence they are more prone to changes in temperature during the day than the the SLX and CLX poles are. The only way they can wear more at those points is if you allow them to keep spinning when they need tightening.  This is certainly true of my two Xtreme's anyway.

It is true that they don't last as long as the SLX and CLX poles because they are made with thinner walls to help reduce weight. But with proper care they are still tough poles when used properly. There are plenty of tips to be found on the forum about how to make them last.

I take my everyday pole apart every couple of days this time of year.  I have a long length of 8mm dowel that I use to push a small microfibre down the middle of each section except the #1 section.  I wipe down the outside of each section, inspect and replace the stop tape as necessary and reassemble.  It's easy using the Gardiner widget tool.

Thanks guys really appreciate you all taking the time to reply it’s been very helpful and I’m now leaning towards the 22 as has been said in an earlier reply although out of budget at the moment I could always buy the 18ft base section later on if needed and have the best of both worlds ?

I'd go with the 22 as they guys suggest. It would give you a better range of opportunities. I think the difference in price and weight would be minimal.

I wouldn't want to be adding and removing sections or extensions. Blow that! Speed and efficiency rather than complicating issues for no good reason that I can see.

That's the way I see it anyhoo! ?

Well it’s done just ordered the 22ft extreme just hoping it helps sort out my shoulder god it’s a lot of money Just before Christmas ?

thanks again for all the reply’s it’s been most appreciated ? 

Well it’s done just ordered the 22ft extreme just hoping it helps sort out my shoulder god it’s a lot of money Just before Christmas ?

Good for you. I think you'll be delighted.

Enjoy. ??

You want to be using a carbon gooseneck and standard xtreme brush with your new pole for the lightest set up....

You want to be using a carbon gooseneck and standard xtreme brush with your new pole for the lightest set up....
Already got a 10in 45 degree carbon gooseneck so that will be going on it and ordered it with the extreme taper tec brush not tried that one before so looking forward to that ??

Already got a 10in 45 degree carbon gooseneck so that will be going on it and ordered it with the extreme taper tec brush not tried that one before so looking forward to that ??
Sometimes a fixed gooseneck is awkward on a shorter pole for getting the angle you need , we use the quick lock adjustable one on our shorter poles and or a swivel sometimes it pays  to have several things for for different jobs . 

Lol thought you were a body builder ?????

Sometimes a fixed gooseneck is awkward on a shorter pole for getting the angle you need , we use the quick lock adjustable one on our shorter poles and or a swivel sometimes it pays  to have several things for for different jobs . 
Yeah totally agree it can be very awkward when doing windows down entries etc where your a bit tight on room. I ordered the standard gooseneck this time and the swivel adapter attachment with this pole so I’ll have plenty of options to try out ?

Yeah totally agree it can be very awkward when doing windows down entries etc where your a bit tight on room. I ordered the standard gooseneck this time and the swivel adapter attachment with this pole so I’ll have plenty of options to try out ?
We only use the carbon goose necks on poles above 40 feet below that I find the adjustable plastic ones work well with or without a swivel , swivel is no good for plastic cleans though you need it  rigid for those jobs , Ime sure you will get on fine with the extream 22 I use one as my everyday pole , just don’t go bashing it about and closing stiff windows with it ????

Back