Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changing from backpack to direct from tank?

Bongofish

Hey all and hope you all had a good Xmas! 

I'm starting back today and after having a week off the only thing that niggles me about going back out today is lugging the backpack on and off the van at every job and filling it up at every job. I know there is a search bar at the top but to be honest I don't really know any specific items I need and I have a few questions. 

I have a 350 litre flat tank in the back of my van with a tap on it. Connected to the tap is a 1 meter piece of pond tube that I fill up my backpack with. 

How do I turn this into being able to go directly from the tank and is it expensive? I don't even know how the hose would connect to the tank? 

I would need a longer hose for sure as current one is 15 meteres I use with backpack. I would also like the option to still be able to use my backpack as some houses I do I have a 50 meter walk to while dragging my gear or whatever or incase there is a reason I can't get close to the house. So would I still be able to fill the backpack up from the tank even if it's set up for directly into the hose. 

Thanks all. 

Bongo

I'm starting back today and after having a week off the only thing that niggles me about going back out today is lugging the backpack on and off the van at every job and filling it up at every job. I know there is a search bar at the top but to be honest I don't really know any specific items I need and I have a few questions. 

I have a 350 litre flat tank in the back of my van with a tap on it. Connected to the tap is a 1 meter piece of pond tube that I fill up my backpack with. 

How do I turn this into being able to go directly from the tank and is it expensive? I don't even know how the hose would connect to the tank? 

I would need a longer hose for sure as current one is 15 meteres I use with backpack. I would also like the option to still be able to use my backpack as some houses I do I have a 50 meter walk to while dragging my gear or whatever or incase there is a reason I can't get close to the house. So would I still be able to fill the backpack up from the tank even if it's set up for directly into the hose. 

Thanks all. 

Bongo
Take look on YouTube loads on how to set up cheaply.  Also on fittings to fit outlet of tank to go to pump and to fill backpack etc. 

I’ve just got a T piece where my system hose comes out of the tank. One side goes to the pumps and hose reels and the other goes to a piece of hose with a tap on the end. Simply stick it in a barrel and open the tap to gravity feed into the barrel. Here’s what I mean but check what size you need and you’ll need a tap

https://www.screwfix.com/p/claber-main-tube-coupling-t-joints-2-pack/503FY?tc=LC8&ds_kid=92700052138698140&ds_rl=1249410&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ffwoL7w7QIVh-3tCh3WuAKFEAQYASABEgIPkPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks all. 

Bongo
You are looking at around £500 plus 

Shurflo 8000 series pump

110aH leisure battery 

Split charge relay kit or home located charger 

100m 6 or 8mm hose

Hose reel 

Isolation valve 

Flow controller 

Check valve recommended for a flat tank

Last edited by a moderator:

Shurflo 8000 series pump

110aH leisure battery 

100m 6 or 8mm hose

Hose reel 

Isolation valve 

Flow controller 

Do you think the Gardiner backpack has enough power to push water down a 100m hose?

Just wondering if I could make a way so I never had to move the backpack and just kept filling it up in the van at every house and then just using the backpack as the whole pump system? 

Do you think the Gardiner backpack has enough power to push water down a 100m hose?

Just wondering if I could make a way so I never had to move the backpack and just kept filling it up in the van at every house and then just using the backpack as the whole pump system? 
100 metres might be a push but I do know it will happily pump through 40 metres of Rhino pole hose. Drop the backpack in the middle of three houses and it'll get you round the upstairs windows of all three without moving it.

Gardiners say no more than 20m of hose on a backpack. It's only a little motor!

As @Apw1210 suggested above, about £500 gets you a full van setup and you still have your backpack as and when you need it.

100m on a backpack is ridiculous. You'll get a trickle of flow and won't achieve any height with pole use. 

In a constructive manner I suggest you spend some time watching YouTube van system build videos and read more through the forum to establish a clearer understanding and limitations of the kit we use. Cutting corners will lose you work and trust 

Shurflo 8000 series pump

110aH leisure battery 

100m 6 or 8mm hose

Hose reel 

Isolation valve 

Flow controller 

You really need the above things. The split charge relay is a good idea if you do good mileage. I have one fitted, but my work is very compact so it rarely kicks in. So I have to manually charge every other day. In very cold weather I now charge it everyday. So along with the above you may need a leisure battery charger. 
A great place to go is Airforce in Leeds. A lad there called Ian is so helpful. You could chat with him, you can buy everything there, fit it all yourself or they will fit it all for you, not sure about batteries and charger though. It’s certainly worth a ride through. Likes been mentioned have a little look on you tube. Type in diy van system for pure water systems. Give you some idea. Hope you manage ok. 

Back