Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water bill?????

Bongofish

We are not on a meter and live in a small 3 bed semi. We pay £56 a month to Yorkshire water which I believe is quite high compared to our next doors but never thought anything about it. However I have been taking an extra 4,000 litres a week through garden tap making 1000-1500 litres of purified a week and the monthly cost has not gone up. I'm wondering if I should be expecting a big bill or how this works as I've been taking extra water for 8-9 months and not heard anything, but also aware that we are probably paying a little bit more than we should to start with. ?

We are not on a meter and live in a small 3 bed semi. We pay £56 a month to Yorkshire water which I believe is quite high compared to our next doors but never thought anything about it. However I have been taking an extra 4,000 litres a week through garden tap making 1000-1500 litres of purified a week and the monthly cost has not gone up. I'm wondering if I should be expecting a big bill or how this works as I've been taking extra water for 8-9 months and not heard anything, but also aware that we are probably paying a little bit more than we should to start with. ?
If you arnt on a meter wether you use one ltr or a million you will pay the same , ,if you are on a meter then you pay by the s2m that’s 1000 ltr increments 

Also just out of interest for those on metres and using how much water are you taking a week and how much are your metred bills? Trying to figure out how much more it would be if we got moved to a meter. (Only answer if it's not to personal a question ) ?

We're in a similar house, also not on a water meter. Our production is usually about 2500 litres plus per week. I'd keep quiet regarding contacting the water company. Without them metering it or their attention being brought to it they have no way of knowing your usage. The less they know the better, I reckon. That's my gut feeling anyway.

Do you not get to choose then? Thought it would just be choice? 
Your water bill is based on the rateable value of your house aka council tax, if you moved to another house with a water meter already installed you are stuck with it as you can't have it removed.  I wouldn't tell the water board anything as if they decide your water needs metering you will end up paying far more than your current water rates. 

If your neighbour is in a identical house but has a water meter and doesn't use much there bill will be cheaper, a old neighbour of ours who is a single fella he pays less than £20 a month for his water. 

My water bill is approx £1400 a year, I'm on a meter. It's  not the end of the world, a fair portion of that goes towards use of home so...meh. 

(Removed for the snowflakes)

My personal opinion is that it's criminal to be metering use of a resource that will never dwindle. The same amount of water has always existed on the earth, and always will. It's not like gas and oil when there is only a finite supply available. 

But then again water meters was Labour's idea, so no surprises for that..

?

Last edited by a moderator:
My water bill is approx £1400 a year, I'm on a meter. It's  not the end of the world, a fair portion of that goes towards use of home so...meh. 

And with the frankly ridiculous claims of earnings of some on here as sole traders, to be complaining of £80 or £100 per month on water use is silly when you can earn that in half hour.

My personal opinion is that it's criminal to be metering use of a resource that will never dwindle. The same amount of water has always existed on the earth, and always will. It's not like gas and oil when there is only a finite supply available. 

But then again water meters was Labour's idea, so no surprises for that..

?
What ridiculous claims are these then?

I did 280 quid today without any aggro.

You are in surrey so should have the best prices on here as it's a gold mine round there.

The reason the water is metered is for the cost of the water companies to collect, clean, supply and repair leaks etc.

Do you go to the river to get your water or does a company pump it to your house all nice and clean and bacteria free?

What ridiculous claims are these then?

I did 280 quid today without any aggro.

The reason the water is metered is for the cost of the water companies to collect, clean, supply and repair leaks etc.

Do you go to the river to get your water or does a company pump it to your house all nice and clean and bacteria free?
You know what, I told myself that I wouldn't put anything up this year that wouldn't cause offence, or spark heated debate. 

Looks like I failed. ?

In all seriousness, I have no problem with paying for water services piped to my house. 

But to pay for water as a consumable per litre in my opinion is wrong as water is never consumed, it's recycled.

That's just my opinion.

You know what, I told myself that I wouldn't put anything up this year that wouldn't cause offence, or spark heated debate. 

Looks like I failed. ?

In all seriousness, I have no problem with paying for water services piped to my house. 

But to pay for water as a consumable per litre in my opinion is wrong as water is never consumed, it's recycled.

That's just my opinion.
No offence caused lol.. just stating what they charge for.

Yes it's recycled but they still have to pay to do it.

Personally I think they charge too much but that is their justification. 

In using over 25,000 + litres of water per  week , imagine that on a meter ... id be bankrupt lol

In using over 25,000 + litres of water per  week , imagine that on a meter ... id be bankrupt lol
That's about £125 to £250 a week, using that much water you must be cleaning 1,500 houses a week. So even at £10 a house that's £15,000 a week income and you can't afford £250 a week for water????? ?

Our pure usage does  vary depending on what we are doing but on avarage we use around 15,000 ltr of pure per week with 3 vans , sometimes considerably more but then we are using the customers water to top up so don’t have to pay for  that ????

Back