Jump to content

How cold is too cold?


Pit Creature

Recommended Posts

Weather forecast for me tomorrow is -1 until 11, then 0 until 12, then 1 until sunset.

Would I just be wasting my time going out until it's above freezing?

I'm worried about the water freezing on the windows and ledges.

Link to post
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • swc1

    15

  • Part Timer

    8

  • scottish cleaning service

    6

  • dazmond

    6

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We did a big office block, had to be done on weekends, turned up in November at 7am got the 47 out and started to wash in the dark. It felt very rough but it was 40' up and we couldn't see so we disco

Just carry a bag of salt to do around entrances that's what I do & customers impressed

I remember being trad soaping up patio doors and 3 seconds later totally frozen up and being stood there like an idiot with a scraper whilst the home owner is sat on the sofa watching me scrap the ice

Posted Images

Master Jedi Alejandro
2 minutes ago, Pit Creature said:

Weather forecast for me tomorrow is -1 until 11, then 0 until 12, then 1 until sunset.

Would I just be wasting my time going out until it's above freezing?

I'm worried about the water freezing on the windows and ledges.

Feet up this week lad, back at it next 😉

Nah the water should be ok if it’s above freezing, though you may need to keep your flow constantly running when not in the van, otherwise the water can freeze in the hose. 
 

Personally I don’t work if it’s freezing as I don’t like the idea of someone slipping on water I’ve left. And it stays close for long so no big issue. 

  • Like 3
Link to post

We're off till the 4th. We don't generally work during the Christmas break. If we had been working, we would be working in the temperatures you're mentioning. In freezing temperatures we go light with the water use around doors and paths.

I wouldn't worry about water freezing on windows and sills. As long as you get them properly cleaned and rinsed first, any water that freezes after will eventually thaw and run off leaving the job clear. Providing it doesn't stay frozen long enough for a subsequent layer of dirt to settle on top of the ice.

Door steps, entrances and paths are the main hazard, so this is where we try not to leave too much water. If we happen to see the customer we'll warn them to please be careful.

Edited by Davy G
  • Like 2
Link to post
Master Jedi Alejandro
2 minutes ago, Pit Creature said:

Weather forecast for me tomorrow is -1 until 11, then 0 until 12, then 1 until sunset.

Would I just be wasting my time going out until it's above freezing?

I'm worried about the water freezing on the windows and ledges.

Feet up this week lad, back at it next 😉

Nah the water should be ok if it’s above freezing, though you may need to keep your flow constantly running when not in the van, otherwise the water can freeze in the hose. 
 

Personally I don’t work if it’s freezing as I don’t like the idea of someone slipping on water I’ve left. And it stays close for long so no big issue. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Pit Creature said:

Weather forecast for me tomorrow is -1 until 11, then 0 until 12, then 1 until sunset.

Would I just be wasting my time going out until it's above freezing?

I'm worried about the water freezing on the windows and ledges.

Not at cold as being stationed in North Alaska -35 

Link to post

I just posted this in the other thread about working in the snow, it works for this thread also lol!....

This is the last week of the year. I've worked in the snow and cold 5-6 days a week for years it's all about layering up and being very thoughtful of your steps and working efficiently so your time in the elements is minimal. 

2021- ongoing, will be a breeze the schedule will only be 2-3 days aweek all ground floor work with only a couple jobs that a have 12ft windows that need a some pole work.

Just remember this business can be anything you make it. 

Heres what the next 10 days look like here in our area in the US.

20201230_005436.jpg

Link to post
27 minutes ago, swc1 said:

I just posted this in the other thread about working in the snow, it works for this thread also lol!....

This is the last week of the year. I've worked in the snow and cold 5-6 days a week for years it's all about layering up and being very thoughtful of your steps and working efficiently so your time in the elements is minimal. 

2021- ongoing, will be a breeze the schedule will only be 2-3 days aweek all ground floor work with only a couple jobs that a have 12ft windows that need a some pole work.

Just remember this business can be anything you make it. 

Heres what the next 10 days look like here in our area in the US.

20201230_005436.jpg

I'd settle for those conditions next week when we go back. My first job is on top of a high hill that is usually a few degrees colder then surrounding areas.

Link to post
scottish cleaning service

Thank heavens for global warming!

I have put a heater in van overnight now, think its cheaper than the diesel frost stat. I have outside jobs to do but just can't be bothered with this weather which will last a week or more. Did my books yesterday and I have made more money now than last year and still have 3 months to go.

  • Like 3
Link to post

I would work perhaps through the middle of hours of the day, like 11-2 or something like that, when the temperature is a little higher. IME it’s difficult when the water keeps freezing up whilst you’re cleaning and also a slip hazard unless you salt underneath relevant windows and doors. When the weather is like this I think using hot water would be much better!

Link to post
1 minute ago, Part Timer said:

I'd settle for those conditions next week when we go back. My first job is on top of a high hill that is usually a few degrees colder then surrounding areas.

Yes these are decent not super cold days yet we will get a couple to a few weeks of below freezing weather that's 24hours aday below freezing. Those are and where the rough times, you just put your head down and grind through the work.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
6 minutes ago, swc1 said:

Yes these are decent not super cold days yet we will get a couple to a few weeks of below freezing weather that's 24hours aday below freezing. Those are and where the rough times, you just put your head down and grind through the work.

Where abouts are you, with those temperatures I'll assume it's not Floruda or Illinois

Edited by Part Timer
Link to post
6 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Thank heavens for global warming!

I have put a heater in van overnight now, think its cheaper than the diesel frost stat. I have outside jobs to do but just can't be bothered with this weather which will last a week or more. Did my books yesterday and I have made more money now than last year and still have 3 months to go.

Make these next 3 months count!

By the way congrats on increasing your revenue this year!

Just now, Part Timer said:

Where abouts are you, with those temperature I'll assume it's not Floruda or Illinois

I'm in the Pacific northwest in Washington state.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, swc1 said:

I'm in the Pacific northwest in Washington state.

So near the Canadian border, is it the Pacific that keeps the really cold temperatures away, unless you get a strong northerly wind.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

So near the Canadian border, is it the Pacific that keeps the really cold temperatures away, unless you get a strong northerly wind.

We are about 2hrs south of the Canadian border. We get weeks of neg -15 and winds blown 10-15 mph so you get cold to the bone. During the heat of the summer we have weeks in the 90s to 100.

Link to post
12 minutes ago, swc1 said:

We are about 2hrs south of the Canadian border. We get weeks of neg -15 and winds blown 10-15 mph so you get cold to the bone. During the heat of the summer we have weeks in the 90s to 100.

That's about a 50 degree higher swing then we have from winter to summer. We rarely go below 23° and tend not to go much above 85° We live right on the coast so the North Sea keeps us cool in the summer but tends to keeps the really cold temperatures away.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

That's about a 50 degree higher swing then we have from winter to summer. We rarely go below 23° and tend not to go much above 85° We live right on the coast so the North Sea keeps us cool in the summer but tends to keeps the really cold temperatures away.

The weather here is dramatic the shift between seasons its fast so you have to be prepared ahead of time especially doing any kinda outside service business. 

 

Link to post
5 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Thank heavens for global warming!

I have put a heater in van overnight now, think its cheaper than the diesel frost stat. I have outside jobs to do but just can't be bothered with this weather which will last a week or more. Did my books yesterday and I have made more money now than last year and still have 3 months to go.

no need to put a heater in the back of your van....just leave your batteries connected to your charger plugged in.....the frost stat will do the rest......thats one of the reasons i went with the grippatank heater....no faffin about......no remembering to put a heater in the van,etc......

  • Like 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, brianbadonde said:

I would work perhaps through the middle of hours of the day, like 11-2 or something like that, when the temperature is a little higher. IME it’s difficult when the water keeps freezing up whilst you’re cleaning and also a slip hazard unless you salt underneath relevant windows and doors. When the weather is like this I think using hot water would be much better!

it is......hot water doesnt freeze your brush jets either.....it also melts the ice off glass and frames......

 

i always have some ice melt grit and a sweeping brush in the van on freezing cold days BUT ASK the customer first....some dont want you to grit their paths/driveways,etc.....

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.