Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working in the snow....

Bongofish

Anybody else worked today with the snow we had in Yorkshire?

I still cracked on, but wondered what your guys opinions are working in snow? 

Windows cleaned fine, had 2 customers cancel on me for the clean today with a text at start of day before the snow had even stopped ?, but turned into a nice day. The only 2 things I really noticed was 1. Couldn't do skylights because of snow on covering them completleIMG_20201229_110630.jpgy (custys were fine about it) and 2. I couldn't see any dog poo so was walking around some gardens and just hoping, as I know it will have been lurking underneath. 

IMG_20201229_104859.jpg

Lad I work with will change the flow controller from 50 to 51, just cause he knows how much it annoys me ?
I'm not that bad, but 52 would do my head in ?. I don't mind clamps that aren't dead in line, what's a few degrees amongst friends, but clamps that are all over would absolutely do me in.

Anybody else worked today with the snow we had in Yorkshire?

I still cracked on, but wondered what your guys opinions are working in snow? 

Windows cleaned fine, had 2 customers cancel on me for the clean today with a text at start of day before the snow had even stopped ?, but turned into a nice day. The only 2 things I really noticed was 1. Couldn't do skylights because of snow on covering them completleView attachment 22875y (custys were fine about it) and 2. I couldn't see any dog poo so was walking around some gardens and just hoping, as I know it will have been lurking underneath. 

View attachment 22874
I didn't work today as it's Christmas. 

Lad I work with will change the flow controller from 50 to 51, just cause he knows how much it annoys me ?
That's the sort of thing I'd do.

I'm not that bad, but 52 would do my head in ?. I don't mind clamps that aren't dead in line, what's a few degrees amongst friends, but clamps that are all over would absolutely do me in.
I have to have them in line. Especially on my phoenix 18ft pole with the old clamps that run down the pole in line.

Does my head in not being straight.

I have the clamp that locks the gooseneck underneath. Then the rest all in line. it is so much better all in a line. I would like to know what you’ve done to the bristles of the brush. Mine are white, what’s happened? 
You need a hose stopper or o ring at the top too if your using a univalve. Otherwise you may find when you pull the hose it pulls the jets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the clamp that locks the gooseneck underneath. Then the rest all in line. it is so much better all in a line. I would like to know what you’ve done to the bristles of the brush. Mine are white, what’s happened? 
You need a hose stopper or o ring at the top too if your using a univalve. Otherwise you may find when you pull the hose it pulls the jets. 
It's just the normal colour of the Gardiner universal sill brush. ?. 

How can you work like that ? Your pole clamps are all over the place ?
I've never really thought about it until now,. And now I tottally see what you mean and first thing I will do is line them all up ??. I didn't have an issue before but now you've pointed it out I think it's going to be something I notice and check at every job now ?? .

I bet your customers couldn't believe u were working in that 
I messaged all of them before hand in the day and said j would still be coming as I don't have space to start moving people around , or they would have to wait till next time, and everyone was genually happy to see me. I even got 2 £10 tips. 

I think I remember on here seeing that people like @Part Timer@Pjj work in all weathers including snow so I thought I would to . Worked out well to be fair turned into a beautiful day in the end , snow on ground and sun out. 

It's just the normal colour of the Gardiner universal sill brush. ?. 
It must have changed then. My bristles are white, yours look orange. 
you did well then yesterday. I went to a big job in heavy snow showers got it done then quit. Taking the rest of the week off having a rest. Keep up the good work. You must be so pleased you got into window cleaning. 

I messaged all of them before hand in the day and said j would still be coming as I don't have space to start moving people around , or they would have to wait till next time, and everyone was genually happy to see me. I even got 2 £10 tips. 
Good to hear people were pleased to see you and that you got tips, but as for space moving jobs around you will never have space to move jobs around as such as you will always lose money been off work this is the crux with been self employed, time off is money lost and you just have to deal with it by reorganising jobs. ?

I think I remember on here seeing that people like @Part Timer@Pjj work in all weathers including snow so I thought I would to . Worked out well to be fair turned into a beautiful day in the end , snow on ground and sun out. 
Most of us work in the snow but not when we're off for Xmas! ? It's easy to catch up after Xmas, just start where you left off.

It must have changed then. My bristles are white, yours look orange. 
They've been orange bristles for a few months now ?

I will clean my commercial jobs in snow, did one once in a blizzard and was melting the snow off some of the windows. I don't know about doing residential in heavy snow, if it was just the odd flake here and there I would.

This is the last week of the year. I've worked in the snow and cold 5-6 days a week for years it's all about layering up and being very thoughtful of your steps and working efficiently so your time in the elements is minimal. 

2021- ongoing, will be a breeze the schedule will only be 2-3 days aweek all ground floor work with only a couple jobs that a have 12ft windows that need a some pole work.

Just remember this business can be anything you make it. 

Heres what the next 10 days look like here in our area in the US.

20201230_005436.jpg

I thought I had a weird  ocd about clamps, have to be perfectly inline, but glad it’s just not me! 
It's more a safety and speed issue with me, if you're using a fully extended pole at 50' the last thing you want to be doing is looking for the clamp to lower or raise the pole.

It is also much quicker to extend and collapse your daily pole if the clamps are all in line.

Personally I never work in between xmas and new year....it just doesn't feel right to me.....I like to take a good 10-12 days off and start fresh in the new year....

How can you be full up with work to not be able to reschedule a few days work?I thought you d only be window cleaning for less than a year?

on topic....yes ill work in a little bit of snow and ice....its much easier with a hot water system(you can melt ice on frames and glass and hose doesnt freeze up)....i also take some ice melt grit and a sweeping brush with me in the van and offer to grit some elderly customers driveways which is just good customer service IMO....

BUT......i do have a limit.....if the side roads are very icy with compacted snow and the ambient air temperature is zero (or below) its just not worth the risk of crashing my van.....its dangerous........if the snow and ice has started to melt and turn to slush then its ok......its a fine line....

Back