Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Frozen back pack

Nick Mitton

Got a 2 month old Gardiners backpack. Left it in the van last night and it iced up. Thawed it out but won't work! Lights come on, says its got some charge but nothing happens! Surely it's not that easy to break the pump! 

Are you sure it’s thawed out ???? Obviously it is possible to destroy a pump if it freezes but you might get away with it have it at room temperature for a few hours and charge the battery and try it again , if it’s knackered a new pump should sort it out think they cost  around £15 

Are you sure it’s thawed out ???? Obviously it is possible to destroy a pump if it freezes but you might get away with it have it at room temperature for a few hours and charge the battery and try it again , if it’s knackered a new pump should sort it out think they cost  around £15 
Yeah had it in house on charge for about 5rs now. Still says it's charging, not sure how long a charge takes? Will leave it charging overnight then try again in the morning ?

Yeah had it in house on charge for about 5rs now. Still says it's charging, not sure how long a charge takes? Will leave it charging overnight then try again in the morning ?
Extream cold and freezing can also kill batteries ????? hopefully it will work ok in the morning 

Yeah hopefully! I didn't think they were that vulnerable! Are trolleys just as bad? 
Basically anything back pack , van mounts, trolleys if in a sub zero environment will freeze causing damage , my hot systems have a frost stat that turns the boiler in when the water gets to 1 degree to prevent freezing , but it’s best to cover the pumps with a duvet or similar to keep them that little bit warmer /insulated from the cold or take them indoors or have a fan heater on low just to prevent freezing up .

Got a 2 month old Gardiners backpack. Left it in the van last night and it iced up. Thawed it out but won't work! Lights come on, says its got some charge but nothing happens! Surely it's not that easy to break the pump! 
Still blocked or pump diaphragm and motor frozen solid 

Yeah hopefully! I didn't think they were that vulnerable! Are trolleys just as bad? 
My trolley is 24.5 degrees sat nice and snug in my kitchen. Never leave it in the van 

Sometimes lessons like this happen for a reason...(they suck, but we learn.)

Always remember your tools put food on your and your family table, so always take care of yourself and your tools.

Hope it's a quick fix or a quick shipment and you can get back to work soon.

Sometimes lessons like this happen for a reason...(they suck, but we learn.)

Always remember your tools put food on your and your family table, so always take care of yourself and your tools.

Hope it's a quick fix or a quick shipment and you can get back to work soon.
Doubt quick shipment, looks like 5 days, thankfully not fully converted to wfp yet so can do trad 

I had my van garaged one year, lumps of ice floating about in tank, reel frozen. Thankfully pump didn't burst.

I've got a John guest  tap on my pump, so can run pump dry(hopefully) n disconnect hose from reel.

I emptied backpacks water out

Ive got immersion heater in tank now, so have just been putting that on for a few hours to hopefully keep a bit of heat in van, as been freezing most of week.

I've got univalves so had opened them up to let water out. Hoping everything will be OK when I go back to work.

Lovely. Do you keep your reels and poles in your front room? ??
No, they go in the garage overnight so there's nothing of significant value in the van or anything that could stop a day's work due to theft. Anymore cocky remarks ? 

Always keep spares. 7p's

I had my van garaged one year, lumps of ice floating about in tank, reel frozen. Thankfully pump didn't burst.

I've got a John guest  tap on my pump, so can run pump dry(hopefully) n disconnect hose from reel.

I emptied backpacks water out

Ive got immersion heater in tank now, so have just been putting that on for a few hours to hopefully keep a bit of heat in van, as been freezing most of week.

I've got univalves so had opened them up to let water out. Hoping everything will be OK when I go back to work.
Update... Pump still not working this morning.... Started to dismantle, moved pump and it started to try so waggled wires and it started!!... Don't know if loose wire or what but working now but not confident as for how long?. Just orded another backpack as back up and will contact gardiner about fault?

Update... Pump still not working this morning.... Started to dismantle, moved pump and it started to try so waggled wires and it started!!... Don't know if loose wire or what but working now but not confident as for how long?. Just orded another backpack as back up and will contact gardiner about fault?
Not checked univalve yet?

my trolley pumps been frozen several times, it always works ok once its thawed out. its a shurflo so maybe its stronger built than a backpack one?

Latest Posts

Back