Jump to content

Van lining help


Recommended Posts

Happy new year chaps.

Just bought a new van and I'm after some van lining advice. I've used protectakote on my first ever van and again on the current van. I find this wears away while dragging the backpack etc on and off the van. I'm considering speed liner but at £650 I thought it worth checking first. I vaguely remember someone previously mentioning Raptor which is a DIY kit. Any advice gratefully received as always.

Link to post
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • P4dstar

    23

  • Part Timer

    7

  • Iron Giant

    4

  • Omega

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're making me blush now @spruce. I couldn't have done it without the help of all of you guys on here. I think the thing to remember is that some people come on and lurk, get what they need and

No you're not, you've worked hard and have reaped the rewards. The only fortunate part of your journey is not listening to my advice on here 🤣

Posted Images

Could you not have put rubber matting on top of the lining to stop stuff sliding and to protect the coating? Surely you could do that with the new one.

  • Like 2
Link to post
23 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Happy new year chaps.

Just bought a new van and I'm after some van lining advice. I've used protectakote on my first ever van and again on the current van. I find this wears away while dragging the backpack etc on and off the van. I'm considering speed liner but at £650 I thought it worth checking first. I vaguely remember someone previously mentioning Raptor which is a DIY kit. Any advice gratefully received as always.

Can't see past fibreglassing buddy. Had 3 all lined in that and it's rock solid..never chips and obviously 100% water proof

Any colour is available cos they just mix it in and if you don't have any local specialists that you know of ask a few fish merchants who fibreglassed their van floors. Aint no secret that they all use fibreglass cos its very effective 

£400/500 max is what I paid for a vivaro 

Edited by Chris33
  • Like 2
Link to post
10 minutes ago, Davy G said:

Could you not have put rubber matting on top of the lining to stop stuff sliding and to protect the coating? Surely you could do that with the new one.

I think regardless what I get a what I do to the next van. I'm gonna recoat the worn areas of the current van and do the same too. I've already got my tin of Protectakote for this. It never became an issue in the first van, I was only part time back then.

6 minutes ago, Chris33 said:

Can't see past fibreglassing buddy. Had 3 all lined in that and it's rock solid..never chips and obviously 100% water proof

Any colour is available cos they just mix it in and if you don't have any local specialists that you know of ask a few fish merchants who fibreglassed their van floors. Aint no secret that they all use fibreglass cos its very effective 

 

I have considered fibreglass before. I don't know what it is that puts me off to be honest, I just don't like the look of it. Protectakote looks good when its first down. Speedliner seems to look great too.

7 minutes ago, Ian Docksey said:

I just done my van. Protekta coat and then added 3mm rubber flooring on top.

All I'm missing is the rubber lining, lesson learned going forward.

Link to post
39 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Happy new year chaps.

Just bought a new van and I'm after some van lining advice. I've used protectakote on my first ever van and again on the current van. I find this wears away while dragging the backpack etc on and off the van. I'm considering speed liner but at £650 I thought it worth checking first. I vaguely remember someone previously mentioning Raptor which is a DIY kit. Any advice gratefully received as always.

Once you're pained your van floor have you considered adding a 9 or 12mm plywood floating floor that has been primed and painted or yacht varnished. 

No screws to penetrate the floor coating and have it cut around your existing tank installation.

 

That's what I do. In theory it sounds silly to paint a vans corrugated floor and then drag everything over it. Paint coatings don't offer much anti abrasive properties unless its thick sprayed on LineX style coatings or fibre glassed 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Get raptor lining.

strip out and give a decent sanding to remove the shine and then clean up. Mask and roller it on. 
move done it in 3 vans in the last 2 years or so and the first van is still holding up strong. You can re-apply over again.

from experience we tend not to drag stuff too much around on it but the finish seems strong enough for a days work and convenience of doing it at home.

for the future I will likely have ionics speed line future vans it for the sake of work and time.

by that I mean that I originally though 650 off was a real lot to spend on something I can do myself but by the time you factor in your time and buying the raw products there is not much in it really. My opinion based on my experience.

 

I’ll take a few pics shortly and post. If you want to raptor you are welcome to get in touch

 

the image is from the first van I did Sep 18 taken from where we store stuff like trolley, vacuum and generator etc. 
this van is used 5-6 days per week. Took it daily close to give a realistic idea

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Omega
Added photo twice
Link to post
35 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Once you're pained your van floor have you considered adding a 9 or 12mm plywood floating floor that has been primed and painted or yacht varnished. 

No screws to penetrate the floor coating and have it cut around your existing tank installation.

 

That's what I do. In theory it sounds silly to paint a vans corrugated floor and then drag everything over it. Paint coatings don't offer much anti abrasive properties unless its thick sprayed on LineX style coatings or fibre glassed 

Thats not a bad shout. Oddly enough it already has a nice thick ply floor with a waterproof coating on top. It's an ex BT van so this has had shelving on it. I might be able to salvage this and just seal the ends, cut it down and use it.

In hindsight its daft of me to just drag things on and off. Protectakote advertise as super durable so I didn't even think. Once it started to go it was too late really.

32 minutes ago, Omega said:

Get raptor lining.

strip out and give a decent sanding to remove the shine and then clean up. Mask and roller it on. 
move done it in 3 vans in the last 2 years or so and the first van is still holding up strong. You can re-apply over again.

from experience we tend not to drag stuff too much around on it but the finish seems strong enough for a days work and convenience of doing it at home.

for the future I will likely have ionics speed line future vans it for the sake of work and time.

by that I mean that I originally though 650 off was a real lot to spend on something I can do myself but by the time you factor in your time and buying the raw products there is not much in it really. My opinion based on my experience.

 

I’ll take a few pics shortly and post. If you want to raptor you are welcome to get in touch

 

the image is from the first van I did Sep 18 taken from where we store stuff like trolley, vacuum and generator etc. 
this van is used 5-6 days per week. Took it daily close to give a realistic idea

image.jpg

Thats brill, looks in good condition considering the time since you've done it.

The van won't hold an ionics system as it has 2 side loading doors so I'm gonna go for Grippa tank again I think even though Ionics are just up the road.

I've priced Raptor up at just over £250 even with buying a compressor and the PPE. I'm in no mad rush to get the van on the road so seems sensible to DIY it, especially as I can then get driveway fitting instead of tryna potter round in Cambridge for the day, although I imagine I could drop it off and have them deliver it, I'm sure that was a service they offer. I may well be in touch on this one mate. 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Part Timer said:

As I said to @scottish cleaning service, Grippa is miles outside of Cambridge

I know, you said the same to me a year ago. Thats why I had the last one done on the drive. I imagine they wouldn't even be able to offer you a lift to the train station now though.

Link to post
1 minute ago, P4dstar said:

I know, you said the same to me a year ago. Thats why I had the last one done on the drive. I imagine they wouldn't even be able to offer you a lift to the train station now though.

I must have got the 2 of you mixed up, easily done 😘

Link to post
Just now, Part Timer said:

I must have got the 2 of you mixed up, easily done 😘

Nope, you said it to him not long before. It's just your Alzheimer's kicking in 😆

Link to post
2 hours ago, P4dstar said:

Happy new year chaps.

Just bought a new van and I'm after some van lining advice. I've used protectakote on my first ever van and again on the current van. I find this wears away while dragging the backpack etc on and off the van. I'm considering speed liner but at £650 I thought it worth checking first. I vaguely remember someone previously mentioning Raptor which is a DIY kit. Any advice gratefully received as always.

Speedliner and line x are both very good but will cost more than protectacoat , line x is cheaper than speedliner , just had my new van done with it cost £750 including vat it’s just as good as speedliner they wanted £1200 for that  !!!!  Forget protectercoat it’s absolute rubbish did my Vito with it years ago . 

BA341E2A-68C6-4596-A2B4-3E40C7333711.jpeg

Link to post
49 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

I've priced Raptor up at just over £250 even with buying a compressor and the PPE. I'm in no mad rush to get the van on the road so seems sensible to DIY it, especially as I can then get driveway fitting instead of tryna potter round in Cambridge for the day, although I imagine I could drop it off and have them deliver it, I'm sure that was a service they offer. I may well be in touch on this one mate. 

I did all of mine using a roller. Small 4 inch one from B&Q. discarded after each use.

Found is very easy to apply in a thickness you want.

My opinion is not to bother with compressor which is based on my experience of how it has lasted for us.

Link to post
2 hours ago, P4dstar said:

Happy new year chaps.

Just bought a new van and I'm after some van lining advice. I've used protectakote on my first ever van and again on the current van. I find this wears away while dragging the backpack etc on and off the van. I'm considering speed liner but at £650 I thought it worth checking first. I vaguely remember someone previously mentioning Raptor which is a DIY kit. Any advice gratefully received as always.

I had my van sprayed with raptor in may! It’s bullet proof! Key the floor properly & u won’t have a problem. Wear appropriate mask protection tho if u do it yourself as the fumes are dangerous if inhaled. There’s good YouTube vids showing step by step process 

Link to post
3 hours ago, P4dstar said:

Happy new year chaps.

Just bought a new van and I'm after some van lining advice. I've used protectakote on my first ever van and again on the current van. I find this wears away while dragging the backpack etc on and off the van. I'm considering speed liner but at £650 I thought it worth checking first. I vaguely remember someone previously mentioning Raptor which is a DIY kit. Any advice gratefully received as always.

I also find that the Protectakote I painted the van floor 12 years ago is better than the Protectakote I used on my current van. It appears the formula has changed. TBH I wish I had looked at other options 18 months ago.

I'm going to have to order another small pot to touch up and then look at some heavy duty matting with holes so any spills dry out.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERLOCKING-Rubber-Safety-Mat-Wet-Holes-Restaurant-Bar-Tack-Room-Garage/131161743539?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200420083544%26meid%3D575de410cf044f2e9f48ad4dddf1bad8%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D131216626679%26itm%3D131161743539%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2WithMLRv3&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Link to post
1 hour ago, Omega said:

I did all of mine using a roller. Small 4 inch one from B&Q. discarded after each use.

Found is very easy to apply in a thickness you want.

My opinion is not to bother with compressor which is based on my experience of how it has lasted for us.

Even better, £100 saved right there. Well worth doing then I say.

1 hour ago, Potta81 said:

I had my van sprayed with raptor in may! It’s bullet proof! Key the floor properly & u won’t have a problem. Wear appropriate mask protection tho if u do it yourself as the fumes are dangerous if inhaled. There’s good YouTube vids showing step by step process 

I've watched a couple, looks nice and easy... We'll soon see haha.

 

I think that settles it, Raptor and then some rubber matting, job done.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Cghwindowcleaning

I had my previous van floor done with speed liner at Grippa.

It's a great product and probably the best out there.Unless you have plenty off spare time then it isn't  just the cost of the product like protectarkote or similar it's the two days lost work prepping,painting and drying.

My van was back from grippa the following day floor done and system in.

You don't have to drive to cambridge there are speed liner and line x authorised applicators all over the country.

I believe when I had mine done Grippa just outsourced this but I belive they may do this in house now.

Link to post
Master Jedi Alejandro

I assume you’ll be getting another Grippa system? If so, find out if they pre drill before speedlineing. 
 

This is one of the reasons I got mine speedlined by Ionics. The fibreglass I did myself in the first van ended up useless as water got through any drill holes I had it put in. Ionics though predrill all the holes so the coating goes into them also. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.