Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1 year old Honda GX390 engine , pull starter chord stuck

mike-71

Hi guys ,

can any one help , my Honda engine has been stuck outside in the metal garage we have , but not been used since the summer.

ive got it out today to start her up but the chords stuck, was working fine prior to storage in the summer. It’s a year old and hasn’t been hammered at all. 
Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

thanks in Advance,

mike 

The starter mechanism sounds like it’s seized take out the three bolts on the pull cord housing and see if it will pull off the machine , give the  area around the centre spindle a spray with WD40 or similar and cheap it’s free running , or take the spark plug out and try pulling it then but don’t go mad and snap the cord 

Hi pjj

Thanks for the reply ? I brought the machine in where it’s warm and lo and behold after an hour it’s started to move a little more , so I’m guessing it had frozen?? Really stupid question here so don’t laugh lol but should I be using anti freeze in the engines?

Cheers 

Mike 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi pjj

Thanks for the reply ? I brought the machine in where it’s warm and lo and behold after an hour it’s started to move a little more , so I’m guessing it had frozen?? Really stupid question here so don’t laugh lol but should I be using anti freeze in the engines?

Cheers 

Mike 
No anti freeze it’s an air cooled engine not water cooled , there is no water jacket around the smaller Honda engines .

Sounds like there might have been water frozen on the pull cord or something, I would give the area a spray with WD40 just to give it a bit of lubrication , glad it seams to be ok 

Always make sure that the pump is empty of water , Ime assuming it’s a pressure washer ???? If not if the pump freezes it can crack the housing that’s an expensive fix 

Thank you as always for your help pjj ?  Yes I always make sure the pump is emptied of water in the pressure washer 

Hi guys ,

can any one help , my Honda engine has been stuck outside in the metal garage we have , but not been used since the summer.

ive got it out today to start her up but the chords stuck, was working fine prior to storage in the summer. It’s a year old and hasn’t been hammered at all. 

thanks in Advance,

mike 
Most likely the release fingers are worn. Get a complete new complete recoil cassette assembly and grab a spare. They don't last forever and they are high wear parts 

Genuine OEM £49.00

Aftermarket upwards of £25 

Most likely the release fingers are worn. Get a complete new complete recoil cassette assembly and grab a spare. They don't last forever and they are high wear parts 

Genuine OEM £49.00

Aftermarket upwards of £25 
His is only a year old and not had much use , shouldn’t need replacing fir years I still have a 15 year old gx390 in my garage and the pull start cord and mechanism is the original 

Hi guys ,

thanks in Advance,

mike 
Simple question ? Are you releasing the pump pressure buy opening the valve or opening the lance trigger when starting every time? 

Simple question ? Are you releasing the pump pressure buy opening the valve or opening the lance trigger when starting every time? 

To be honest , every time i finish a job , I just release the pressure via the trigger . And when I start it up it usually starts first time but I do believe it had seized with the cold 

Back