Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing up jobs

Kieran h

Hello all,

im not new, been in the game for circa 8 years now but been running my own business for a year. But been thinking about changing the way i price up for the New Year. Im just trying to establish a method but everyone seems so different, so it would be nice to hear how others manage it. I use a seriously basic tool and charge between £1.70 to 1.80 per window with 2/3panes or more. If 4-6 panes a tad more and just charge £1 for a door or single window. Very easy and simple. A standard 3 bed semi on my method could be around £16-£18 monthly and standard 3 bed detached could be between £19 - £21. Now thats based on a standard build, when you get into not so standard, with skylights, 2x patio doors, sash windows etc price quickly goes up. I have had a few quotes rejected because of it, but not many. At the end of the day, if theres more glass than standard then paying more is obvious? 

Now ive seen others charge based on how many bedrooms they have. I can only see this working to an extent on standard builds. You're not cleaning bedrooms.... you're cleaning windows, and some 3 bed detached have far mire windows than others. This method seems troublesome when you get to not so standard builds. 

the other option was a time based system which i like the idea of as this covers all bases in my opinion. Ie, you have X amount of windows which takes X amount of time plus unpack and pack up. 

what methods do you guys use?

I use a time based system. I have an hourly rate and then use that to quote based on how long it will take me. I also have a minimum price so I don't go below £14 (with a few exceptions).

I'm not necessarily advocating this system but it works for me in the short while I have been operating.  I probably convert around 70% of my quotes.

I have had a few quotes rejected because of it, but not many. At the end of the day, if theres more glass than standard then paying more is obvious? 
Sounds like you have a good system that seems fair. If you are winning 100% of your quotes you are too cheap. Winning 10% of quotes you are too expensive ? I would say aim at winning 70% of quotes.

Are you happy with your earnings/hourly rate? If you are and you have enough work then just think about a yearly price rise for those that haven't had a price rise in over a year or 2. 

Sounds like you have a good system that seems fair. If you are winning 100% of your quotes you are too cheap. Winning 10% of quotes you are too expensive ? I would say aim at winning 70% of quotes.

Are you happy with your earnings/hourly rate? If you are and you have enough work then just think about a yearly price rise for those that haven't had a price rise in over a year or 2. 
System does seem reasonable to an extent i find, its just when you get to more bespoke houses. For example i have a 3 bed detached, very bespoke design that pays £35 a month, no conny. But takes 30 minutes to do, another similar one right next door. Now i personally think thats an absurd amount of money for window cleaning, but they dont. That has been priced on per window etc, but seems like a lot! Now some people would do that on a “how many bedroom basis” and just charge £19 to £21, and it would be horrible to do those jobs at so little money! The good thing about per window pricing is that you’re Charging everyone fairly at the same rate per window. So it just depends on how many they have. So customer A has 10 windows charged at £1 each = £10. Customer B has 15 windows charged at £1 each = £15, but both could be a 3 bed detached. But like i say this method pulls out reasonable prices on standard builds, its just when you get to more bespoke builds the price per window method can skyrocket prices! And this is where i dont understand how people charge per bedroom because it could be so cheap and youll hate doing it. number of windows can drastically change from one 3 bed detached to another..... i think im going to look into the time bases method for bespoke and custom builds

We price on a walk around and a mental rehearsal of doing the job.  Son and I each get a price in our heads separately and compare and decide after the walk. We're usually at or very close to the same price. Two houses like for like on description of number of windows can be vastly different in reality. One can be straight forward, the other can be under siege from clutter : plants, ornaments, solar lights etc.

I price on number & size of windows, first floor windows are more than ground floor, flat roof access a bit more too. No two houses are identical on our round. At the end of the day the price is what it is, either they accept or they don't.

On domestic I have an hourly rate that I want to earn so base it on time , but 3 storey stuff like town  houses charge more due to dearer poles , commercial stuff I work out how long I think it will take then add a bit for contingency but we charge a lot more than domestic 

I walk around and see if I  to compare it to a similar one-  Ah, this will take about as long as no.22 in the next street.. then add a couple of quid to be on the safe side.

Latest Posts

Back