Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

what flow rate do you prefer to clean at?

Amazin

From your controller, been cleaning on 30 but I wonder if I need to turn it up. Sorry I'm still new to wfp

Were usually around 30~40 on Calibration, 50~60 on flow rate. That's with 100 psi Shurflo pump, 6mm reel hose, 5mm pole hose, Univalve and 100 degree fan jets. Mostly working on two level properties.

I used to run about 45 but recently I upped it to 50 to try to speed myself up a bit. It's all about balancing a good clean/rinse with not throwing water away uneccessarily, water costs money!

I'm up to 50 in the cold weather but normally it's 40.

Can I ask what these numbers are? Are they actual measurements? Are they more or less the same across different pumps set ups? 

I'm up to 50 in the cold weather but normally it's 40.

Can I ask what these numbers are? Are they actual measurements? Are they more or less the same across different pumps set ups? 
They are normally a very rough percentage of maximum pump speed. So in theory 50 for a 3.2L/min pump would give 1.6l/min at brush and a 5.2l/min would give 2.6l/min at same settings. This is very much an over simplification as it takes no account of pipe size, flow restrictions (DI tank), reel hose length and diameter, pole hose and nozzles, saying nothing about a pumps speed vs flow characteristics etc.

They are normally a very rough percentage of maximum pump speed. So in theory 50 for a 3.2L/min pump would give 1.6l/min at brush and a 5.2l/min would give 2.6l/min at same settings. This is very much an over simplification as it takes no account of pipe size, flow restrictions (DI tank), reel hose length and diameter, pole hose and nozzles, saying nothing about a pumps speed vs flow characteristics etc.
Thanks for clarifying. So in essence, there's no point asking what flow rate people are using because your number may match mine numerically, but the reality is they won't match in terms of rate due to the different variables you've listed? 

That's right to a degree. They can only be rough guidance for you to help you get into it. I'd say if you were to start with all settings somewhere around 1/3 you will be able to work up or down as you develop a feel for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Great thread ?? I normally flow at 50. However, in the cold weather i noticed my flow was reduced. Turned it up to 58, all good. Is this normal in very cold weather?

100 psi surflo pump

8mm pole hose

6mm pole hose

Gardiner pencil jets

Back