Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Phantom Pole Clamps Spinning

chris70

Been having trouble with phantom pole couple of sections keep spinning iv tried undoing clamps and putting back together work well for about 20 mins then start again if screwed to tight the red leaver wont go down and to loose spins really frustrating when trying to crack on pole is around year old any advice please cheers

Do they still spin if you don't clamp right at the bottom each section. If they don't then the section of the pole that the clamps holds most of the time has worn. I guess you could sand it a bit and then spray some car lacquer (clear car spray paint) to build up the diameter again. Have a look on youtube.

If the spin no matter what part of the section they are trying to hold maybe you need new clamp inserts?

Hope that gives you a few clues?

Been having trouble with phantom pole couple of sections keep spinning iv tried undoing clamps and putting back together work well for about 20 mins then start again if screwed to tight the red leaver wont go down and to loose spins really frustrating when trying to crack on pole is around year old any advice please cheers
Ensure that the pole sections where the clamps are placed are clean and grease free.

Position the clamp and tighten the collar securing the clamp with the screw, hex or Allen head.

Check the pole sections for wear around the areas that are normally clamped.

A tip, use rubber rings or insulation tape around your pole sections to where you normally clamp them at full extension to give you a spacer to start afresh.

Every new pole I buy I tape it to increase it's performance and durability.

The Phantom Clamps DONT need to be screwed down tight at all. I only tighten them enough for the inner shim to grab with the minimum of compression BUT I have noticed that the host (the clamp part that secures to the section top) are prone to loosen over time and it spins at that point. Easy fix by removing clamp, building section up with a couple of turns of tape and then reassembling. If they are spinning at the lever section then I’d suggest that the shims need removed and soak washed to remove grime, or replaced with new ones (shims are as cheap as chips).

Ensure that the pole sections where the clamps are placed are clean and grease free.

Position the clamp and tighten the collar securing the clamp with the screw, hex or Allen head.

Check the pole sections for wear around the areas that are normally clamped.

A tip, use rubber rings or insulation tape around your pole sections to where you normally clamp them at full extension to give you a spacer to start afresh.

Every new pole I buy I tape it to increase it's performance and durability.
Great advice @Apw1210!

cheers for all reply's much appreciated in the end took all sections and clamps off washed all in soapy water and cleaned with wd40 and replaced clamp 1 with new one runs like new pole now so happy again 

Cheers

cheers for all reply's much appreciated in the end took all sections and clamps off washed all in soapy water and cleaned with wd40 and replaced clamp 1 with new one runs like new pole now so happy again 

Cheers
Glad you sorted it but don't use WD40 on plastic as sometimes it causes it to swell!!! Best to use a silicone spray.

WD40 is great at what it was designed to do - Disperse water but as a lubricant it's poor. Sorry I have a pet hate of the misuse of WD40 ? I spend about 10 years testing fuels and lubricants for a living!

Glad you sorted it but don't use WD40 on plastic as sometimes it causes it to swell!!! Best to use a silicone spray.

WD40 is great at what it was designed to do - Disperse water but as a lubricant it's poor. Sorry I have a pet hate of the misuse of WD40 ? I spend about 10 years testing fuels and lubricants for a living!
Cheers for heads up mate i won't use it next time on it will use silicone instead got some as well 

WD 40. Water Dispellant and 40 because the previous 39 didn't work for required application.

Thanks @ched999ukfor this info. I won't forget this. 

Son came in with a spray can of wd40 as a penetrating oil a few weeks ago. I repeated the above and he was gobsmacked at the depth of my knowledge. ?

Back