Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Squeegees handles, channels and rubbers

Kieran h

Hi guys,

so i have been using the moerman excelerator 2.0 complete squeegee for all of my squeegee work. I combine this with a pulex hard rubber. The only downside i find is the ends of the rubber nic quite easily due to it being pretty thin at the end. Also, doesnt matter if i use soft or hard rubber i find it has a tendency to grab the glass. However its great for pole work. 

im just wondering what combinations you guys run ? Ive heard the unger s channel is meant to be fantastic? 

whats your favourite combination when face to face with glass? and what is your favourite on the extension pole?

fire away !!! ? 

Hi guys,

so i have been using the moerman excelerator 2.0 complete squeegee for all of my squeegee work. I combine this with a pulex hard rubber. The only downside i find is the ends of the rubber nic quite easily due to it being pretty thin at the end. Also, doesnt matter if i use soft or hard rubber i find it has a tendency to grab the glass. However its great for pole work. 

im just wondering what combinations you guys run ? Ive heard the unger s channel is meant to be fantastic? 

whats your favourite combination when face to face with glass? and what is your favourite on the extension pole?

fire away !!! ? 
Should really be using soft rubber in winter and hard in summer. 

Get some quality rubber not pulex 

I use Unger standard or Green and only Unger squeegees. ErgoTec handles and S plus channels.

Not a fan of this blue plasticy flappy flipping gimmicky stuff 

I used Unger for years but was never quite impressed then got a Sorbo and that suited me better. Last year I got the "blue plasticky flappy" Moerman and like it very much. I never use hard rubber, it needs to be really hot for that.

Do you soap your applicator? Or do you soap your bucket?

I used Unger for years but was never quite impressed then got a Sorbo and that suited me better. Last year I got the "blue plasticky flappy" Moerman and like it very much. I never use hard rubber, it needs to be really hot for that.

Do you soap your applicator? Or do you soap your bucket?
I only ever soap the bucket water as the applicator becomes saturated with soap and you end up with thick smeared soap on the glass and you'll have more chance of streaks and drying marks 

Hi guys,

fire away !!! ? 
Keep your tools simple and  buy quality tools and then you can change out your tools as you learn to clean windows properly. 

I only ever soap the bucket water as the applicator becomes saturated with soap and you end up with thick smeared soap on the glass and you'll have more chance of streaks and drying marks 
Only if you allow the applicator to become too dry.

Moerman Excelerator Handle 2.0 is by far the best handle that has ever been developed for what we do. Unfortunately their new over priced blue rubber is sh*t. Unger green rubber is brilliant, just wish they would bring it out in longer lengths so generally I use Ettore master rubber or pulex (Always soft rubber unless the glass is boiling hot).

Moerman handle and unger s channel is fantastic in hand and on a pole imo. I do have the s plus channels too and they are good but I find the rubbers burn out quicker and they start to catch the glass sooner than the standard s channel. There is no perfect combo and what works for some won't work for others. For me, that combo is the best I have tried during my 20 odd years doing window cleaning.

I use the Moerman 14 inch liquidator 2 channel. If the ends grab a little too much for your personal preference you can dip the end of the channel into boiling water and bend the tip back a little until you get it perfect. They are great channels for reducing detailing but the ends of the rubbers can definitely get damaged quicker, especially in the winter when using soft rubber. Ettore master soft rubber is nice in the winter but it is expensive and can nick in no time. I tend to wfp more when it gets really cold. I'll be looking for an alternative to razor red when the temperature warms up.

I add soap direct to the applicator. and carry water in bottle to dilute the soap on the applicator as and when needed instead of adding more soap every time when charging it.

I use Moerman Liquadator 2 channels and handles. Have Unger soft in my 14inch, and 5inch, Razor red in my 10inch and again Unger soft in my 10inch swivel for pole work.

Always used these two types of rubber, and not had any issues. I do not however buy batches of the stuff as I have a local supplier so get one or two pieces as required when passing so will not get in a position of being stuck with a poor batch.

I add soap direct to the applicator. and carry water in bottle to dilute the soap on the applicator as and when needed instead of adding more soap every time when charging it.
I’ve never really understood why people use that method. Same as using spray bottles to apply soapy water to the glass. It’s a lot quicker and easier as your carrying less stuff on you to stick a few glugs of soap in your bucket and just have a good dunk of the applicator for every house then you can leave your bucket at the front gate. That way your soaping your applicator as you wet it doing both jobs at once. Same as the spray bottle, what’s the point in spraying the window and then agitating it when you can soap up and agitate in one go. Modern applicators are designed to hold as much soapy water as possible meaning you can clean whole large houses off one dip without having to keep re applying soap and water or spraying every window before aggitating. You do end up with more run off with this method but that’s what your blade and wipe downs are for plus a bit more soapy water on the bottom frame and sill helps to clean it better anyway especially the ones they get quite bad between every clean. 

I’ve never really understood why people use that method. Same as using spray bottles to apply soapy water to the glass. It’s a lot quicker and easier as your carrying less stuff on you to stick a few glugs of soap in your bucket and just have a good dunk of the applicator for every house then you can leave your bucket at the front gate. That way your soaping your applicator as you wet it doing both jobs at once.
I've thought the same when I've watched lads it looks like a whole load of faff compared to the old ways. 

I’ve never really understood why people use that method. Same as using spray bottles to apply soapy water to the glass. It’s a lot quicker and easier as your carrying less stuff on you to stick a few glugs of soap in your bucket and just have a good dunk of the applicator for every house then you can leave your bucket at the front gate. That way your soaping your applicator as you wet it doing both jobs at once. Same as the spray bottle, what’s the point in spraying the window and then agitating it when you can soap up and agitate in one go. Modern applicators are designed to hold as much soapy water as possible meaning you can clean whole large houses off one dip without having to keep re applying soap and water or spraying every window before aggitating. You do end up with more run off with this method but that’s what your blade and wipe downs are for plus a bit more soapy water on the bottom frame and sill helps to clean it better anyway especially the ones they get quite bad between every clean. 
Saves carrying a bucket. And some squeegees like the Moerman Liquidater Channeled type like more slip.

Soaping the applicator works well, you get more slip and the solution doesn't run down the glass so quickly which is pretty handy on big glass. You only need to soap the applicator occasionally so not much time loss really. Give it a try, it might change your world.

Don't know about squirting the glass, I think that might be an American thing.

Saves carrying a bucket. And some squeegees like the Moerman Liquidater Channeled type like more slip.
Do you not have to carry a bottle of water and bottle of soap instead? Thought it would be easier to carry one thing that doesn’t have to be on you at all times. Also a bucket of water stays a lot warmer than a bottle so better on those colder days. Also my bucket doubles as as safety sign. 

Soaping the applicator works well, you get more slip and the solution doesn't run down the glass so quickly which is pretty handy on big glass. You only need to soap the applicator occasionally so not much time loss really. Give it a try, it might change your world.

Don't know about squirting the glass, I think that might be an American thing.
On the odd day were I just do a couple of windows trad in between wfp I have tried it to save filling a bucket for just a couple of windows and although it saves time in that scenario I couldn’t imagine doing it for a full or half a day’s trad. In all my years window cleaning and I’ve worked for and with quite a few different cleaners and not to mention the many still strong trad crews that operate in my area I’ve never seen trad cleaners operate in this way? That must tell you something. 

You can also put as much or as little soap in in your bucket to give you your desired slip. Honestly doing it this way saves so much time and messing about. 

Do you not have to carry a bottle of water and bottle of soap instead? Thought it would be easier to carry one thing that doesn’t have to be on you at all times. Also a bucket of water stays a lot warmer than a bottle so better on those colder days. Also my bucket doubles as as safety sign. 
I charge my applicator from the bucket when reaching my job site, then go about my work without the bucket. If the applicator needs more water I carry a bottle with me on my belt. If I need more detergent then I have a old shower gel bottle with said in it in my pouch. If it was a big job I would take the bucket (horses for courses) but I find my way suits me, and you can do multiple jobs on a street without having to return to the van. Like most things it is individual choice and nothing is written in stone as to the method that "has" to be used.

We don't trad much externally, a couple of entrance doors with tiled floors, but find a spray bottle saves a load of time on internal work.

I charge my applicator from the bucket when reaching my job site, then go about my work without the bucket. If the applicator needs more water I carry a bottle with me on my belt. If I need more detergent then I have a old shower gel bottle with said in it in my pouch. If it was a big job I would take the bucket (horses for courses) but I find my way suits me, and you can do multiple jobs on a street without having to return to the van. Like most things it is individual choice and nothing is written in stone as to the method that "has" to be used.
I wasn’t trying to say that pal, what works for you is best. For me though when I was 100% trad most days I wouldn’t see the van all day apart from dinner time so that method wouldn’t work for me. I suppose if you was only doing the odd house here and there and in and out the van all day it would be more doable. 

We don't trad much externally, a couple of entrance doors with tiled floors, but find a spray bottle saves a load of time on internal work.
Ring your pad out so you don’t get any run off before entering the property, then you won’t have to carry your spray bottle around with you and also save time by applying moisture and agitating the glass at the same time?

Back