Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fibreglass no holes for fixings

sambo

Hi all

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've decided to fibreglass the floor of new van I'm fitting out. Don't like the idea of protectacote etc. How do people bolt tanks through a fibreglass floor though? The best idea I've got so far is butyl sealant around the hole under the tank frame and a fibre washer on the bolt going through the frame.

Secondly I need to fix a 1m X 0.5m sheet of aluminium checker plate to the floor for my hose reel etc which is bolted to it. I was thinking butyl sealant on its own (would remove ply floor from under where the bolts are to before glassing to make room for them). This would stop screw holes etc. Alternatively fibreglass in a wooden base for the checkplate over the top of the fibreglass floor so any screws wouldn't go through to the base fibreglass floor...

Thoughts welcome!

You can fibreglass your cheaker  plate into the floor of the van if you are really keen you can drill holes in  the van floor and fibreglass through the holes it’s fiddler but can be done , but like you said it’s easier to use a sealer 

You can fibreglass your cheaker  plate into the floor of the van if you are really keen you can drill holes in  the van floor and fibreglass through the holes it’s fiddler but can be done , but like you said it’s easier to use a sealer 
Need to be able to remove checker plate if reel or motor needs replacing. Also can't drill through floor as electric van and it's full of lithium batteries under there! Planning on using high tensile steel bolts into existing anchor point holes. Think lots of sealant way to go then maybe!

Need to be able to remove checker plate if reel or motor needs replacing. Also can't drill through floor as electric van and it's full of lithium batteries under there! Planning on using high tensile steel bolts into existing anchor point holes. Think lots of sealant way to go then maybe!
Ah ok didn’t realise it’s electric , you can still fibreglass a plate to the van floor with bolts attached to it so the reel can be removed though 

Ah ok didn’t realise it’s electric , you can still fibreglass a plate to the van floor with bolts attached to it so the reel can be removed though 
Good point didn't think of that

Hi all

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've decided to fibreglass the floor of new van I'm fitting out. Don't like the idea of protectacote etc. How do people bolt tanks through a fibreglass floor though? The best idea I've got so far is butyl sealant around the hole under the tank frame and a fibre washer on the bolt going through the frame.

Secondly I need to fix a 1m X 0.5m sheet of aluminium checker plate to the floor for my hose reel etc which is bolted to it. I was thinking butyl sealant on its own (would remove ply floor from under where the bolts are to before glassing to make room for them). This would stop screw holes etc. Alternatively fibreglass in a wooden base for the checkplate over the top of the fibreglass floor so any screws wouldn't go through to the base fibreglass floor...

Thoughts welcome!
Simple, Drill through the fibreglass and steel van floor. Place your desired fasteners in place and waste a tube of clear silicone around the fixing point and tighten 

Chill out mate I was just having a laugh! You obviously had missed where he said it was a electric van with underfloor batteries. We all do it. ?
You're the one that needs to pay attention. No mention of it being an EV in the title or main content of the question context to which I responded to. 

I'm not biting anyone's head off, I just have zero tolerance for idiots, stupid comments and smart arses 
I'm sure there's a my little pony forum somewhere. Maybe you could go there next and try out your biting keyboard warrior criticism on some 4 year olds.

Latest Posts

Back