Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does anyone heat a static unit!?

DCDom

Hi all,

Had thought today whilst out in the cold, I only have one heated system out of 3 vans, really struggled with other 2 delivery system as both cold water had no end of problems.

We fill all 3 vans from my static unit, could I heat the static unit to 80c and fill all 3 systems?

Only issue i see is the hose reels when left over night as they are electric and fixed in the van. 

I really don't want to spend more coins buying 2 more 9kw heaters! 

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi all,

Had thought today whilst out in the cold, I only have one heated system out of 3 vans, really struggled with other 2 delivery system as both cold water had no end of problems.

We fill all 3 vans from my static unit, could I heat the static unit to 80c and fill all 3 systems?

Only issue i see is the hose reels when left over night as they are electric and fixed in the van. 

I really don't want to spend more coins buying 2 more 9kw heaters! 

Any ideas?

Cheers
So are you thinking of heating a container / building with air convection heat or the water in your production tank? 

Yes, heating the water in my static system, so I can fill the vans with hot water basically.
It all depends on the type of storage setup and volume of water you are wishing to heat.

A thermostat controlled immersion coil would work in a low volume setup such as a single tank for example an IBC at a 1000L

You'd have to have a sufficient mains power supply capable of handling a load of 3 to 4kw load for example 

A recirculating pump which would aid the heat transfer through the water and avoid you getting one part of the tank hot and the other luke warm, it would also shorten the time frame of the heating process 

DISCLAIMER 

all of the above listed methods are only as a guide and any electrical work undertaken to enable this task to function must be carried out by a competent or qualified person.

an RCD must be used with all water to mains installations to avoid electric shock or death 

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on the type of storage setup and volume of water you are wishing to heat.

A thermostat controlled immersion coil would work in a low volume setup such as a single tank for example an IBC at a 1000L

You'd have to have a sufficient mains power supply capable of handling a load of 3 to 4kw load for example 

A recirculating pump which would aid the heat transfer through the water and avoid you getting one part of the tank hot and the other luke warm, it would also shorten the time frame of the heating process 

DISCLAIMER 

all of the above listed methods are only as a guide and any electrical work undertaken to enable this task to function must be carried out by a competent or qualified person.

an RCD must be used with all water to mains installations to avoid electric shock or death 
Well,

I have 2000l of storage, which is all controlled through a s3 controller, pretty much does everything for me, auto flush, fill etc. 

Could it be done by heating the water on demand? 

There is something called a Hot Box, I believe, that can heat 25 litres a minute, to very high temperatures for pressure washing. 
They are about £2K. MAZZONI are supposed to be good. Not sure how well they will work on low pressure. Think about the van fill time though a 500lts tank will take 20mins so x 3 = 1 hr to fill his vans! They require diesel and 240v mains. 

They are about £2K. MAZZONI are supposed to be good. Not sure how well they will work on low pressure. Think about the van fill time though a 500lts tank will take 20mins so x 3 = 1 hr to fill his vans! They require diesel and 240v mains. 
Thought you could rig it up to the holding tank and circulate it back in. If its generating a temp of 100 degrees you'd only need to put half through so less then an hour and do it before filling.

Hmm doesn't seem like a easy fix, must be why big companies don't go down the hot water route, as the cost of buying 9kw heaters for every van is ridiculous!! 

Maybe I could just install an immersion coil in the other 2 vans, and heat them overnight? Probably cheapest way. 

Does anyone have gas in their house ever fill their tanks with hot water (DI only) ???

I filled at a customer the other day and had pumping water. Was just curious what it would have cost them ?

Does anyone have gas in their house ever fill their tanks with hot water (DI only) ???

I filled at a customer the other day and had pumping water. Was just curious what it would have cost them ?
I’m D.I only (30ppm from tap) and had thought of filling direct with hot water from the house however I’ve read on here that the heat will significantly shorten the lifespan of the resin. 

I’m D.I only (30ppm from tap) and had thought of filling direct with hot water from the house however I’ve read on here that the heat will significantly shorten the lifespan of the resin. 
Once I’ve cracked £500 a day I might treat myself to an indirect hot water cylinder in the garage.

Tap water - double DI- indirect hot water cylinder- insulated tank in the van just before I leave in morning. 

As you say that I noticed the tds was going higher as I tested when it was going through it. I used to do a golf club when I had just started wfp and filled up with their hot water. But never noticed the tds the. As I only done wfp on the golf club 

Back