Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out in wfp cleaning

Royf91

Hi guys 

so I am using my own car with a trolley system and 25 litre water bottles x5 of them 

for wfp window cleaning my house is on a new build so I am looking at this to start off with witch is a 183 houses on this close 

can you advise on the best way to get pure water cheapest is it to go to a spotless site for the time being or doing my own witch is very confuseing atm 

and how much should I charge in Liverpool 

and how long should it take me per house as a new starter 

how much water should all the houses take 

taking this role to protect my little girl as she is in the high risk cat 

The advise would be great obviously I want to expand etc but just for now I want to learn and get the best I can be if that makes sense 

TIA

Initially on first cleans you could use more than 25 litres on a house, even experienced cleaners would use 20 litres+ on bad first cleans. Price wise as much as someone will pay and what I hear that could be anything from £8 to £25 depending on your competition, as a guess I'd say Liverpool would be £8 - £12 for a new build 3 bed semi.

Hi guys 

so I am using my own car with a trolley system and 25 litre water bottles x5 of them 

for wfp window cleaning my house is on a new build so I am looking at this to start off with witch is a 183 houses on this close 

can you advise on the best way to get pure water cheapest is it to go to a spotless site for the time being or doing my own witch is very confuseing atm 

and how much should I charge in Liverpool 

and how long should it take me per house as a new starter 

how much water should all the houses take 

taking this role to protect my little girl as she is in the high risk cat 

The advise would be great obviously I want to expand etc but just for now I want to learn and get the best I can be if that makes sense 

TIA
Sorry to rain on your parade, Have you changed your car insurance policy to business use as otherwise it's null and void if you happen to be involved in an accident and your vehicle is laden down with water fed pole window cleaning equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Initially on first cleans you could use more than 25 litres on a house, even experienced cleaners would use 20 litres+ on bad first cleans. Price wise as much as someone will pay and what I hear that could be anything from £8 to £25 depending on your competition, as a guess I'd say Liverpool would be £8 - £12 for a new build 3 bed semi.
Thanks 

and you just wouldn’t believe how much water you could use I’ve seen ppl on the page using 800 litres ?

Sorry to rain on your parade, Have you changed your car insurance policy to business use as otherwise it's null and void if you happen to be involved in am accident and your vehicle is laden down with water fed pole window cleaning equipment.
No I haven’t yet haha I used to be a taxi driver and my insurance now is costing me more personal then taxi insurance right now like wtf  

but I’ll change it over this car will only be used for work 

as my little girl is getting a pip car and my family is expanding too 5 kids ?

but thanks for the advise legend didn’t even think of this to be far 

Don't forget about Public Liability Insurance as well.

Cheapest startup is probably spotless water if they are close. If not use search bar at top look for 'RO'.

No I haven’t yet haha I used to be a taxi driver and my insurance now is costing me more personal then taxi insurance right now like wtf  

Cover your bum also, dont forget PLI.

Cheapest startup is probably spotless water if they are close. If not use search bar at top look for 'RO'.
Okay haha getting higher ?‍♂️ And the RO is the filter system there expensive to buy like 

but we have one down the road to us so it’s not too bad with spotless 

You're welcome, Didn't want to cast a cloud of doom over your plans. Just valuable advice that many miss 

If you are only doing WFP and no ladder work, no gutter clearing etc AXA through Alexander Swan is cheaper than a Shurflo pump new for PLI 

and pef use little as possible 
The first time you clean a property that hasn't been cleaned in a while will probably take 2 or 3 times as much water as a "maintenance clean". 

The water is required to help scrub the dirt but mainly to rinse off the dirt. If you don't use enough water then the windows will dry dirty and you wont get much repeat work!!!

You say there are 180 odd houses in your close, do you know how many have a window cleaner or how many want one!! Just as an example if someone drops say 1000 leaflets they would consider it good to get 3 or 4 respond! 

Getting a compact round is probably the most tricky part. Actually getting customers is not easy, especially in lock down as some might not be happy knocking on doors asking if they want a windy!!

I realise why you are looking to do this but it's not actually as easy as running a brush over the glass. There is a lot more to it plus if you haven't been self employed before there is a fair bit of paperwork and putting tax returns together to do. Remember as a self employed person you have to do marketing, accounting, equipment purchase, insurance, risk assessments, source water, then get on with cleaning the glass. 

I'm not trying to put you off just make sure you understand that there is more to it than meets the eye.

You're welcome, Didn't want to cast a cloud of doom over your plans. Just valuable advice that many miss 

If you are only doing WFP and no ladder work, no gutter clearing etc AXA through Alexander Swan is cheaper than a Shurflo pump new for PLI 
Nice one really appreciate it guys 

The first time you clean a property that hasn't been cleaned in a while will probably take 2 or 3 times as much water as a "maintenance clean". 

The water is required to help scrub the dirt but mainly to rinse off the dirt. If you don't use enough water then the windows will dry dirty and you wont get much repeat work!!!

You say there are 180 odd houses in your close, do you know how many have a window cleaner or how many want one!! Just as an example if someone drops say 1000 leaflets they would consider it good to get 3 or 4 respond! 

Getting a compact round is probably the most tricky part. Actually getting customers is not easy, especially in lock down as some might not be happy knocking on doors asking if they want a windy!!

I realise why you are looking to do this but it's not actually as easy as running a brush over the glass. There is a lot more to it plus if you haven't been self employed before there is a fair bit of paperwork and putting tax returns together to do. Remember as a self employed person you have to do marketing, accounting, equipment purchase, insurance, risk assessments, source water, then get on with cleaning the glass. 

I'm not trying to put you off just make sure you understand that there is more to it than meets the eye.
Yer  I’ve been self employed for over 10 years now I’ve been on the taxi and amazon then I had my own business in Softplay this what most ppl don’t see behind close doors like 

up where I live there is in total 2400 new builds on my area witch I will door to door them during Covid obviously I will be safe and I will always keep them safe due to my family and there’s 

I won’t take cash that’s a straight no due to Covid and payment chasing 

To expand  on the RO filter do you need to just pump it thought there or dose it need to be filtered again 

the water in my area is Med soft I’ve got the pic here 

3F87CA08-E042-4DCB-802E-0C853C426292.png

up where I live there is in total 2400 new builds on my area witch I will door to door them during Covid obviously I will be safe and I will always keep them safe due to my family and there’s
Just to say new builds are a very HOT target for windy. Basically having a compact round means you don't need to move the van much and therefore you can clean lots more houses per day. So there is lots of competition on new estates and sometimes prices really get pushed low sometimes too low to be sustainable. Don't do them too cheap as you will just be killing yourself for peanuts!!!!

To expand  on the RO filter do you need to just pump it thought there or dose it need to be filtered again 

the water in my area is Med soft I’ve got the pic here 

View attachment 22937
It all depends. You really need a water pressure gauge and a decent TDS meter. Lots of fake TDS meters on ebay and Amazon so be careful!!!!! TDS is Total Dissolved Solids, this tells you if you can just use a DI or need an RO then DI. 

Just to say new builds are a very HOT target for windy. Basically having a compact round means you don't need to move the van much and therefore you can clean lots more houses per day. So there is lots of competition on new estates and sometimes prices really get pushed low sometimes too low to be sustainable. Don't do them too cheap as you will just be killing yourself for peanuts!!!!
Nice one I thought they would be left alone for a bit haha but yer obviously I will make it work for myself but obviously I don’t want to be working for very little 

It all depends. You really need a water pressure gauge and a decent TDS meter. Lots of fake TDS meters on ebay and Amazon so be careful!!!!! TDS is Total Dissolved Solids, this tells you if you can just use a DI or need an RO then DI. 
The starter kit with the window cleaning where house has one in it and erm it’s just to see what best as I don’t want to put too much money in right away as I want to build on this and eventually have a van 

The system are expensive but I guess you will save money in the long run 

I was also thinking is it worth door to door to check my market or just simply door to door to get clients 

To add to @ched999ukvalued reply here is an affordable mains water pressure meter which simply screws onto a garden tap or 3/4 cold water machine supply outlet 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-482913-Mains-Water-Pressure/dp/B06XY8WPYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mains+water+pressure+gauge&qid=1610058704&sprefix=mains+water+&sr=8-1

Latest Posts

Back