How much do you agitate the glass

2 hours ago, spruce said:

No one is going to tell you exactly how you should clean your customer's windows wfp because there are too many variables.

Look at Darrans videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQ9VL4EeZOBX3vgEQe5pIA

Look at Alex's tutorial

Here is another video

I used to clean a child care center run by the council. I did it over a weekend when the children weren't there. I was able to use a section of windows to try out various window cleaning techniques, different flow rates and different brushes.

I cleaned those windows every 4 weeks for 12 years. I found that the only successful way of cleaning them for me was a slightly higher flow rate, 2 passes across the glass and to rinse off the glass, even with a mono bristle brush (not flocked).

We live on the North Sea coast and our windows always have a greasy, salt sea spray film on them.

I once helped a fellow window cleaner whose van was off the road. The portion of work we did was some 10 miles inland. I found those windows much easier to clean. But I doubt I would have deviated from my 2 pass and rinse off technique. That's me. The cleaner I was working with in most cases did a 1 pass on the glass. He did however, pay special attention to any bird strikes etc starting at the bottom of the window working up. He made a very valid point when he said that we needed to inspect each window for bird strikes etc before we put the brush to it. That way we get an idea of how much work we need to do on that window. Some windows need more scrubbing where other need a quick wash and rinse.

I find I have got into a habit of over cleaning and rinsing, even on windows which don't need it. Perry Tait had another video out that is also worth a look at.

BTW, I'm not an advocate of Perry Tait. He isn't a window cleaner and never has been. He's a salesman. If there was more money selling tomatoes then he would sell them.

If cleaning that window takes you 90 seconds, then next time try to clean it in 60 seconds. (Just count time off - one thousand and one, one thousand and 2, etc.) Then try to reduce it a bit more. But just work on that window so you can go back and inspect it to ensure the job is right to your and your customer's standards.

There is your standards influenced by your work ethic and your customers standards. I always try to ensure my standards are higher than my customer's standards as my reputation is based on that.

When you swap over to wfp you will have to work through major doubting spells that you have done the right thing. The house you cleaned in 20 minutes has taken twice as long on your first wfp clean. Its happened to all of us. Stick with it and slowly increase speed as you get more experience. It's the old baby example. You can't run before you have learnt to crawl and walk. Don't stress out about the time its taking you. Speed comes with experience. To gain experience takes time.

Great post @spruce!!

And my technique isn't quite the same as either of them. 🙂  I think we all develop over time, I'm physically older and slower than I was but hopefully my technique has improved to balance that out.

I work on full flow all day.

Now I use a rinse bar but used to use fan jets.

I use a swivel and the glass gets a once over like @Davy Gbut I don't rinse separately at all it is rinsed while scrubbing with the water on so high.

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

And my technique isn't quite the same as either of them. 🙂  I think we all develop over time, I'm physically older and slower than I was but hopefully my technique has improved to balance that out.

I think there's truth in what you say, @Martyn
 I find that although I'm more than thirty years older than my son I'm actually faster at cleaning the windows, and he's quick. I reckon I'm at least 10 percent faster yet my strokes are slower. I cover more ground with each stroke and few strokes are wasted.  Each stroke is pre planned for effectiveness and speed and energy efficiency. I'm the same with kayaking stroke efficiency (a long steady, purposeful stroke) though he's quicker than me now at propelling a sea kayak, being that much younger.

29 minutes ago, Davy G said:

I think there's truth in what you say, @Martyn
 I find that although I'm more than thirty years older than my son I'm actually faster at cleaning the windows, and he's quick. I reckon I'm at least 10 percent faster yet my strokes are slower. I cover more ground with each stroke and few strokes are wasted.  Each stroke is pre planned for effectiveness and speed and energy efficiency. I'm the same with kayaking stroke efficiency (a long steady, purposeful stroke) though he's quicker than me now at propelling a sea kayak, being that much younger.

Agreed, longer slower strokes comes with experience

6 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

We aren't talking about window cleaning now are we? 😂

Only the dirty minded would think any different 👀

7 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Or the long-time single folks 😭

Not really as I'm long time married, but one person said thanks and another agreed so I'll let you be credited with the dirty mind 👍

1 minute ago, Part Timer said:

Not really as I'm long time married, but one person said thanks and another agreed so I'll let you be credited with the dirty mind 👍

I was referring to myself...but quite happy have a dirty mind too!  Just need to put it into action.