Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Replacing Demand Delivery Pump

scottish cleaning service

My brushes went on my pump so I was told and bought a few from Grippatank. I thought it would take me half an hour swapping it over. It was behind my twin stack hose reels so it was a bit of a nightmare. Took me 2hrs just getting it off and that was grinding the bolts off because they were allen key ones. Fitted 4 of my own bolts back on and tightened them up which took an hour. Nothing is easy in this game when it comes down to maintenance, now I realise why there is so few of these Oliver guys going about. ?

And I have cursed myself, after running the pump dry on Thursday before the big freeze, I've gone to work this morning and the pump runs but won't push water through the pump, I took the outlet fitting off incase there was a blockage in my hose but an absolute no go, so looks like a brand new pump is needed 

And I have cursed myself, after running the pump dry on Thursday before the big freeze, I've gone to work this morning and the pump runs but won't push water through the pump, I took the outlet fitting off incase there was a blockage in my hose but an absolute no go, so looks like a brand new pump is needed 
Sods Law. Hopefully it will be easier to fit than mine. I once turned my boiler off to save pennies of gas from the pilot light. Turned on month later and blew all the seals.

Sods Law. Hopefully it will be easier to fit than mine. I once turned my boiler off to save pennies of gas from the pilot light. Turned on month later and blew all the seals.
Thankfully, thanks to Sir Doug @doug atkinson of Daqua who I phoned after been defeated to see about a new pump I explained the issue and he told me what to which was sorted within 5 minutes,

By draining my pump and reel completely last week, I had created a massive airlock, the thing Doug advised me to do was disconnect the hose from the hose reel turn the controller on and suck on the hose to create a vacuum and hey presto within seconds water was coming through the pump, problem sorted, but I wasted far too much time and should have rang Doug first thing and I would have been sorted. 

Thankfully, thanks to Sir Doug @doug atkinson of Daqua who I phoned after been defeated to see about a new pump I explained the issue and he told me what to which was sorted within 5 minutes,

By draining my pump and reel completely last week, I had created a massive airlock, the thing Doug advised me to do was disconnect the hose from the hose reel turn the controller on and suck on the hose to create a vacuum and hey presto within seconds water was coming through the pump, problem sorted, but I wasted far too much time and should have rang Doug first thing and I would have been sorted. 
What a mare. I used to hate those airlocks. had to do a day of backpack only today because was still ice in hose reel. Presumed any would have melted by this morning as no frost yesterday. Was working ok by time i got home. Funny thing is the days work was fine, at least as easy as it normally is using the van mount. Just the type of houses I guess.

Don't understand how the bushes have gone when you barely use your system compared to full-time windys my pumps have lasted well over 6 years without issue 
I agree my pumps are over 6 years old and have run over 14,000 hours and still work fine , must be that highly corrosive Scottish water ????

I agree my pumps are over 6 years old and have run over 14,000 hours and still work fine , must be that highly corrosive Scottish water ????
Maybe me hitting it with a hammer to get it going. Never charged my batteries for a year so I think I've done them in as well. What should the controller register? I'm showing 11.9v

Maybe me hitting it with a hammer to get it going. Never charged my batteries for a year so I think I've done them in as well. What should the controller register? I'm showing 11.9v
@spruce is the man to explaine this far better than me but it should be 12.6 ??? Or higher ????I think I leave all the electrics to my mate to sort out I tell him what I want to achieve and let him get on with it ??

To get the true state of charge (not capacity) your battery needs to rest for around 4 hours before you take that reading.

If its rested a bit and it's reading 11.9v then it may recover slightly more. 12.0v is flat and needs charging or the battery is unserviceable and needs to be replaced.

The controllers are programmed to cut power to the pump when the battery voltage drops to 10.5v under load. (Spring controllers do have an additional function to switch that safety cut-out voltage limit off.) That battery voltage will quickly recover after the power has switched off. By the time you get back to your van to check the voltage of the battery it could well have recovered to 11.8v plus.

If a battery is not regularly recharged and discharged often, the battery will start to loose capacity. A battery also wears with age and looses capacity due to the chemical reaction inside the battery. Lets say your leisure battery is 110amph. The capacity could shrink to say 20amph, but the reduced capacity will still show a full charge of 12.7v plus after it has been bench charged. For battery longevity we should recharge as often as possible. We should never let our 110amph battery drop to below half charged; 12.5v.  A 110amph battery only has a 55amph usable amperage using these figures. (Most leisure battery's are now grouped into 3 classes. Charge cycles given for each battery is usually to a depth of discharge of 50%. In days gone by some battery manufacturers used a DOD (depth of discharge) of 80%. This would make their batteries seem to be better as they will last longer at 80% DOD.)

My old leisure battery was 6 years old. It was fully charged one Saturday morning recently. I had just fitted a diesel heater and had started it maybe 5 or 6 times during the morning. The last start showed a voltage of 10.8v on my battery monitor which I was able to see while the heater was firing up. The moment I switched the heater off the battery recovered to 12.3v.

I realised that my battery's capacity was very small. In fact I had a big job on the Monday. My diesel heater ran for around 4 hours before everything shut down.  The battery had enough power for me to finish off with just my pump running. It took a few days to get a replacement battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a mare. I used to hate those airlocks. had to do a day of backpack only today because was still ice in hose reel. Presumed any would have melted by this morning as no frost yesterday. Was working ok by time i got home. Funny thing is the days work was fine, at least as easy as it normally is using the van mount. Just the type of houses I guess.
Oil filled rad does the trick, any chance of the temps dipping to -1 and I put it on usually when I take our dog out last thing on a night,

I was sure it was just an airlock, but it had me stumped as to why the water wasn't coming through and I assumed something was knackered with the pump, lesson learned for the future. 

Either badly advised on the issue or he's abused it somehow, not sure if you can pick up spares for those Aquatec pumps, at least the diaphragm can be changed on the Shurflo pumps if they aren't performing as well after after a few years of use. 

I realised that my battery's capacity was very small. In fact I had a big job on the Monday. My diesel heater ran for around 4 hours before everything shut down.  The battery had enough power for me to finish off with just my pump running. It took a few days to get a replacement battery.
Thanks Spruce. What battery do you recommend because I will need to buy a few as I have let them run down. Its to run a 2 man webasto heater. thanks again.

Bought two AGM batteries but terminals at different ends so I'll need to do some work in my van to fit them in. All the good Numax batteries were sold out or I have to get delivery by pallet. Don't know what the demand is but I wish I had a pallet of them as they are selling for 2 ton on ebay. Mine were £240 with free delivery. If I get an email saying sold out then I will have to buy the ebay ones.

Hi @scottish cleaning service
 I just had a quick look online and Go Batteries are advertising Numax xv35mf 120 AH batteries for less than £130 with next day delivery. I forgot to check whether delivery is included in the price. I've never bought a battery online. I've always bought them locally to support local businesses and to be able to return them if I had any problems. I've been superbly happy with these batteries. They are a beast.

Hi @scottish cleaning service
 I just had a quick look online and Go Batteries are advertising Numax xv35mf 120 AH batteries for less than £130 with next day delivery. I forgot to check whether delivery is included in the price. I've never bought a battery online. I've always bought them locally to support local businesses and to be able to return them if I had any problems. I've been superbly happy with these batteries. They are a beast.
cheers, it was that CXV one that I was after. Hard to get a hold of, probably Brexit.

Fitted a pair of 110amp AGM leisure batteries today and terminals round the wrong way. A bit of modification with the grinder on battery boxes and they fit now. Charging them all night to see how I'm set for tomorrow. ?

Back