Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wash & reach in pouring rain

Paul Ford

Hi 

Just seen a wfp window cleaner turn up & clean someones windows while it’s pouring with heavy rain is this normal practice ? ?

I guess you could pose the question of what’s normal?? ? 

there’s just the way you or I do things and there’s what other people do. 

ithink it still does the job perfectly, but just doesn’t look good does it?! ?

I guess you could pose the question of what’s normal?? ? 

there’s just the way you or I do things and there’s what other people do. 

ithink it still does the job perfectly, but just doesn’t look good does it?! ?
Yep...I worked all day in the rain yesterday and will be today....waterproofs on and bluetooth earbuds in for music and crack on.

It's a myth that window cleaners can 'catch up' another time....it simply doesn't happen....unless you like to work weekends or encroach on your leisure/family time then having days off has a knock on affect and you ll lose thousands over the course of a year....

some do  some dont,       i dont        rain water is full of **** , landing and drying on the cleaned rinsed windows.     too many customers have come out and told me to leave them   its raining.     not worth loosing a customer.       there are a lot who will clean in the rain.    i will clean in the light drizzle  but if its so heavy you would have to put waterproofs on .  im home  to look out of my window  shaking my head .

its a personal thing.         

I don’t. Because I don’t like getting wet. I don’t need the money that much. And I only work 3 days a week so I usually have spare time to catch up. Everyone can do it how they like. It’s just not for me. 

Yep...I worked all day in the rain yesterday and will be today....waterproofs on and bluetooth earbuds in for music and crack on.

It's a myth that window cleaners can 'catch up' another time....it simply doesn't happen....unless you like to work weekends or encroach on your leisure/family time then having days off has a knock on affect and you ll lose thousands over the course of a year....

Still snowing strong here. Sometimes I guess there is no option but to knock a day. 

IMG_20210114_122233.jpg

Hi 

Just seen a wfp window cleaner turn up & clean someones windows while it’s pouring with heavy rain is this normal practice ? ?
I’m gonna guess you are the customer as this is your first post on here ?

We clean in the rain. Makes no difference to the quality. We offer a callback guarantee. Any issues we’ll come back and sort it. Never had a call back due to rain. 

I’ll also add I’m in Scotland. If I didn’t clean in the rain I wouldn’t have a job ?

Still snowing strong here. Sometimes I guess there is no option but to knock a day. 

View attachment 23008
Where you located? I’ve only gotten one day done so far due to ice and snow. Thought I would be back at it today and woke up to views like yours ?

some do  some dont,       i dont        rain water is full of **** , landing and drying on the cleaned rinsed windows.     too many customers have come out and told me to leave them   its raining.     not worth loosing a customer.       there are a lot who will clean in the rain.    i will clean in the light drizzle  but if its so heavy you would have to put waterproofs on .  im home  to look out of my window  shaking my head .

its a personal thing.         
If u allow customers to choose when u work then thats terrible.

Those  people who run a window cleaning business and allow there customers to pick n choose when they come are poor run businesses ? its all about educating them.

Come on Mr Sweeney u need to get with the times its 2021!, not 1997 , u can work in the rain , stop letting customers run your business !! ??

Been out today and did 5 first cleans, so they won't complain next time, and 25 regulars. Very little wind today so perfectly fine as @Master Jedi Alejandro said we tell customers if they're not happy call us back. Still waiting for the first call
I like doing first washes in wet weather for the same reason. It sets the stall out from the beginning and lets the customer know from the start that we work in most weathers. Each time we do a job in the rain for the first time we put a letter R adjacent to their details on our worksheet. That gets carried forward every time with the rest of the details we need on the day. That way we know what jobs we've previously done in the rain. If anyone was to complain we can tell them "We've cleaned your windows before in the rain."

Most of our customers understand now that we work on unless we decide it's too wet for us and we make the decision.

Commercial work is done to a date so done regardless of weather , domestic we work in rain and this is explained to the customer at the point of quoting for  the job , I do however use discretion if it very heavy rain we will stop . 

it rained all day today again...full day worked and i picked up a new customer(to be cleaned next month)he paid me too which is a good sign......

if i had took today and yesterday off because of the rain i would be down over £500 this week....once its lost its lost.....no catching up next week(MOT time on monday then 4 busy days of other work for the rest of the week)....

i changed my goretex jacket at lunchtime for a fresh,dry one for the afternoons work...it makes all the difference!?

If I stopped for rain I'd have only done 1 day this week.

The way I see it is I'm cleaning all the dirt off built up from the past 30 days, the point I'm finished that dirt build up process starts again.  Rain is soft water and is similar to the stuff I'm cleaning the windows with, so when I clean the windows I leave them wet and it dries clear, rain is the same.  The only part where rain makes a difference is if it's got sand in it after crossing the desserts on some weird south easterly wind direction, but this is rare.

Most of the houses I've done today looked really clean before I did them, that's after 30 days of snow, rain, wind etc.  So if after 30 days they're still relatively clean looking then 1 day of rain isn't going to make a noticeable difference.

And no rain doesn't clean the windows, in the same way that hosing your car over with water doesn't clean it.  The cleaning process needs agitation and the brush on the glass is the agitation that's required just like using a sponge to clean your car.

I would love to know @Chris34 reason for giving me a turd reaction to my previous post....
Just looks like a bad day for working ? I had cold feet today in cold rain but my day looks like a walk in the park in comparison.

I used to trade financial futures and made and lost a few bob. Day's like today I can sit and watch the pound v the euro which is the biggest trade in the world. I might go back into it again and see how I get on because the weather is so unpredictable up here at the moment and I still have 8 days of windows to do.

The way I see it is I'm cleaning all the dirt off built up from the past 30 days, the point I'm finished that dirt build up process starts again.  Rain is soft water and is similar to the stuff I'm cleaning the windows with, so when I clean the windows I leave them wet and it dries clear, rain is the same.  The only part where rain makes a difference is if it's got sand in it after crossing the desserts on some weird south easterly wind direction, but this is rare.

Most of the houses I've done today looked really clean before I did them, that's after 30 days of snow, rain, wind etc.  So if after 30 days they're still relatively clean looking then 1 day of rain isn't going to make a noticeable difference.

And no rain doesn't clean the windows, in the same way that hosing your car over with water doesn't clean it.  The cleaning process needs agitation and the brush on the glass is the agitation that's required just like using a sponge to clean your car.

Just looks like a bad day for working ? I had cold feet today in cold rain but my day looks like a walk in the park in comparison.
Totally agree , but the reason most window cleaners dont work in the rain is not cos of upsetting there customers... its the fact that they havent got the balls to work in the rain ?? u get a few rain shy people , im rain shy aswell but we dont face it everydat do we ? So lets enjoy the rain ? i dont mind rainy days , at the end of a rainy day the best thing is a nice hot bath , i would feel guilty if i didnt work in the rain... its like robbing yourself  ???

Fair enough, I thought you meant that I should have been out working with that turd reaction ?. Oh how the internet is easy to get the wrong end of the stick ??

Fair enough, I thought you meant that I should have been out working with that turd reaction ?. Oh how the internet is easy to get the wrong end of the stick ??
Good job you didn't get the nice morning photo that HWCS got, you'd have sent one back with your shirt off holding your pole ? although being honest I'd have done the same ???

Totally agree , but the reason most window cleaners dont work in the rain is not cos of upsetting there customers... its the fact that they havent got the balls to work in the rain ?? u get a few rain shy people , im rain shy aswell but we dont face it everydat do we ? So lets enjoy the rain ? i dont mind rainy days , at the end of a rainy day the best thing is a nice hot bath , i would feel guilty if i didnt work in the rain... its like robbing yourself  ???
i disagree......the number 1 reason why some window cleaners dont work in the rain is because they think the customers wont like it....to be fair one or two dont and ive even lost the odd job here and there because i cleaned windows on a rainy day but these are very few and far between.....

when you ve been cleaning windows for years in the rain your customers dont bat an eyelid.....it becomes normal.....

the issue we all had in the trad days was using a soapy solution which can easily leave marks on the windows once you ve used a squeegee on it and then rain lands on it....we dont have that issue with WFP THANK GOD!!

Back