Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Euro 6 van split relays

Chris33

Hi guys. Have bought a euro 6 van. I understand that the split relay differs from this to earlier models. 

Will it damage the van to run on the one that comes with a window cleaning warehouse system? Or should I upgrade this 

Hi chris a split relay wont work with a smart alternator, youll need a Sterling 'Pro Batt Ultra' Battery-To-Battery Charger.

I fitted one in my van quite easilybut they are nearly £200

Some 'smart' alternators can give out upto about 19v which will damage a normal lead acid battery. If you have a odb2 reader you might be able to monitor the voltage. I think a cheapy ELM327 and an app like Torque (Android) will produce a voltage graph that might help?

I would say you probably best not to use a simple split charge relay and will have to buy a B2B charger.

Hi guys. Have bought a euro 6 van. I understand that the split relay differs from this to earlier models. 

Will it damage the van to run on the one that comes with a window cleaning warehouse system? Or should I upgrade this 
First you need to identify what your new van's actual charging cycle is. In other words, how smart is you van's charging system.

Some van have regenerative braking, others used Adblu to reduce admissions. Euro 6 just means that vans built to that standard meet emission regulations. They don't specify how a manufacturer must meet them.

I've suggested in the past the you buy one of those cheap 12v digital voltmeters that plug into your cigarette lighter socket, take you van for a long drive and monitor what the alternator does.

https://www.ablemail.co.uk/sites/default/files/products/ablemailbatterychargerselectionguide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a B2B charger in my 2018 dispatch. Just bought a 2014 Doblo and will be fitting a B2B charger to this also. I haven't had to charge my leisure battery since installing the B2B charger. My new van isn't euro 5 and doesn't have regenerative braking but I think the benefits of the B2B charger far outweigh the costs.

I have a B2B charger in my 2018 dispatch. Just bought a 2014 Doblo and will be fitting a B2B charger to this also. I haven't had to charge my leisure battery since installing the B2B charger. My new van isn't euro 5 and doesn't have regenerative braking but I think the benefits of the B2B charger far outweigh the costs.
I have a 62 plate Peugeot Boxer. The alternator charges at 13.9v all the time. I could use a vsr but the maintenance free leisure battery needs 14.2v to charge it fully.

I can set my Sterling B2B charger to the output voltage I need. I set the charge voltage to 14.6 for my old flooded leisure battery. 

I have a 62 plate Peugeot Boxer. The alternator charges at 13.9v all the time. I could use a vsr but the maintenance free leisure battery needs 14.2v to charge it fully.

I can set my Sterling B2B charger to the output voltage I need. I set the charge voltage to 14.6 for my old flooded leisure battery. 
To be fair you were the one who gave me the idea too. I love that B2B charger, can't fault it. I remember you saying you'd install one of those even on vans pre euro 5.

To be fair you were the one who gave me the idea too. I love that B2B charger, can't fault it. I remember you saying you'd install one of those even on vans pre euro 5.
.... and to be fair it kept up with recharging the battery just using a couple of pumps a day. During the summer I hardly 'bench' charged my leisure battery at all.

But with drawing addition current with the diesel heater and winter cold temps, I need to 'bench' charge the batteries every night. I have a fitted the charger lead on the starter battery input side of the B2B charger. My charger then tops up the van battery at 13.9v (the charger's output) as well as the leisure battery at 14.2v. (The Sterling unit boosts the charger's output from 13.9 to 14.2v.)

I have a fitted the charger lead on the starter battery input side of the B2B charger. My charger then tops up the van battery at 13.9v (the charger's output) as well as the leisure battery at 14.2v. (The Sterling unit boosts the charger's output from 13.9 to 14.2v.)
That's a great idea. Charge both batteries at once, nice.

8 hours ago, Baldmonkey said:

I just disabled my smart alternator, no issues at all so far. 

If you have a sealed leisure battery (maintenance free - no caps to unscrew to top up water levels) then 14.6/14.7v is higher than the recommended charging voltage for these types of batteries.

If the van has regenerative braking then the alternator dumps charge into the starter battery at around 17 volts which is far too high for a leisure battery.

It obviously works for you but it doesn't appear to be a fix that is a popular solution on the internet.

I had a SCR in my last van (which my mate Danny uses), when I found out the hassle of fitting one in my custom euro 6, I  stuck a smart charger in the back, and just plug that in each evening.

I don’t miss the SCR one bit ?‍?

Neither do I didn’t both with this van as I only do approx 3500 to 4000 miles a year I have two electric reels and two pumps so smart charger every night ?

If you have a sealed leisure battery (maintenance free - no caps to unscrew to top up water levels) then 14.6/14.7v is higher than the recommended charging voltage for these types of batteries.

If the van has regenerative braking then the alternator dumps charge into the starter battery at around 17 volts which is far too high for a leisure battery.

It obviously works for you but it doesn't appear to be a fix that is a popular solution on the internet.
The charge only ever sits at 14.2v when running, I assume when I did this the ecu was learning the change from the battery monitor system and besides my van only ever runs for a maximum of 20 minutes at anyone time so I think it's perfectly safe, thanks

Back