Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Notes to self and to wife

spruce

The Sprucefather
Here are a couple of notes to self from today's window cleaning.

Note 1;

Screw on the tank cap before coiling up the transfer hose and putting it back in the garage. Doing this will save the cleanup of a van full of water.

Note 2;

The water inside microbore hose freezes much quicker than minibore. If you have to lay your hose in freezing grass/pavement then don't dilly dally in getting started.

Note to wife:

Thank you for helping me today as I would never have got everything done despite starting the first clean at 7.00. I really appreciate it. But next time please don't unintentionally lay my SLX where the owner's entitled stepfather parks his car while you 'dry clean' the front door with a damp towel. That's his parking place and he doesn't care whats in the way - he will park there.

(Thankfully, she strangely extends the pole from the bottom sections rather than the normal way from the top sections. So its only the base section that needs to be replaced. My old CLX will have to be the donor for a while.)

Note 1;

Screw on the tank cap before coiling up the transfer hose and putting it back in the garage. Doing this will save the cleanup of a van full of water.

Note 2;

The water inside microbore hose freezes much quicker than minibore. If you have to lay your hose in freezing grass/pavement then don't dilly dally in getting started.

Note to wife:

Thank you for helping me today as I would never have got everything done despite starting the first clean at 7.00. I really appreciate it. But next time please don't unintentionally lay my SLX where the owner's entitled stepfather parks his car while you 'dry clean' the front door with a damp towel. That's his parking place and he doesn't care whats in the way - he will park there.

(Thankfully, she strangely extends the pole from the bottom sections rather than the normal way from the top sections. So its only the base section that needs to be replaced. My old CLX will have to be the donor for a while.)
Not a very good day @spruce, every day is a learning day.

Note 1;

Note 2;

Note to wife:

I extend from the bottom my thing can be it made for a stronger pole?

Note 1;

Note 2;

Note to wife:

Sounds like a normal day for me lately as there has been something to put a spanner in the works more often than not these past weeks, ?

Onwards and upwards no one was injured and I am sure you both had a good day working together ?

I love my wife dearly, but would rather French kiss a Doberman than have her work with me all day.

Each to their own  :coffee:
We don't work well together tbh. I think the last time was over a year ago.

I once read that one of the shipping lines would only allow the captain's wife to accompany her husband for 3 weeks a year. Any time longer and the wife begins to influence major decisions.

12 years ago the wife persuaded her boss to let her go part time. She had all sorts of plans to spend her free time until I said she was going to work with me 

She always seemed to retreat to the van to leave me to reel in the hose reels, wipe the sills and front door as well as write out tickets. Each house was taking me longer with 2 of us than on my own. 

We ended up have a stand-up argument on a customers front lawn. That was the end of that working partnership. I expect it was engineered to come to that.

Anyway these days she will help me very occasionally and today was rather amicable. My son who usually works with me is looking after grandchildren during the week during this lockdown.

We had a big day which I wouldn't have completed on my own tbh so for that I'm grateful.

I extend from the bottom my thing can be it made for a stronger pole?
I understand the reason for extending a pole this way but I find it unbalanced. With a partly extended pole there is more weight toward the front this way imo. 

I guess it what you get used to.

I once read that one of the shipping lines would only allow the captain's wife to accompany her husband for 3 weeks a year. Any time longer and the wife begins to influence major decisions.

12 years ago the wife persuaded her boss to let her go part time. She had all sorts of plans to spend her free time until I said she was going to work with me 

She always seemed to retreat to the van to leave me to reel in the hose reels, wipe the sills and front door as well as write out tickets. Each house was taking me longer with 2 of us than on my own. 

We ended up have a stand-up argument on a customers front lawn. That was the end of that working partnership. I expect it was engineered to come to that.

Anyway these days she will help me very occasionally and today was rather amicable. My son who usually works with me is looking after grandchildren during the week during this lockdown.

We had a big day which I wouldn't have completed on my own tbh so for that I'm grateful.
I couldn't work the round with my wife either. I tried when I started out but it drove me (and her) round the twist. I found she had no sense of anticipation or time urgency. She would wait for the hose to get caught on a tyre or corner and have to be asked nicely then told less nicely to free it up "don't stand there looking at it." Where most men, I think, would anticipate and be ready. Then she'd stand in the way while I was coming towards her with the kit to pass in a side alley and she'd have to be asked then told to "get out of the way can you not see I'm coming through?" ? Then she'd go strolling back around the whole job wiping down the sills with a ruddy cloth. I'd be chomping at the bit wanting to get to the next job. In the end she said "If you were paying me I'd resign!" ?I replied "If I was paying you I'd firkin sack you!" ?

That was the end of our husband and wife team on the road. ?I was much, much faster on my own. Now she does the office work while son and I do the round.

Bit embarrassed relating this on the forum, but what the hell, it's the truth.

I couldn't work the round with my wife either. I tried when I started out but it drove me (and her) round the twist. I found she had no sense of anticipation or time urgency. She would wait for the hose to get caught on a tyre or corner and have to be asked nicely then told less nicely to free it up "don't stand there looking at it." Where most men, I think, would anticipate and be ready. Then she'd stand in the way while I was coming towards her with the kit to pass in a side alley and she'd have to be asked then told to "get out of the way can you not see I'm coming through?" ? Then she'd go strolling back around the whole job wiping down the sills with a ruddy cloth. I'd be chomping at the bit wanting to get to the next job. In the end she said "If you were paying me I'd resign!" ?I replied "If I was paying you I'd firkin sack you!" ?

That was the end of our husband and wife team on the road. ?I was much, much faster on my own. Now she does the office work while son and I do the round.

Bit embarrassed relating this on the forum, but what the hell, it's the truth.
When I first stated my wife came out with me for  a day that was over 21 years ago both she and I said never again , nearly lead to instant divorce ?????

I know what you mean.

When we started working together (not as windys) is was a bit of a battle over who was telling who what to do. After a good few months we both defined our rolls and each did our own thing to get the job done. As long as we stuck to our 'jobs' we were fine ?. 

It's funny how men and women have very different ways of working. Especially about getting in the way and expecting to be asked politely move when they can see you coming and needing to get past. Why not just use a bit of forward anticipation? 

My wife helped me out years ago she spent most her time talking to custys spent 30 minutes in an old ladys house drinking tea ?

We would probably end up using the wfp's like pugil sticks in someone's garden 

Last edited by a moderator:
What I found interesting was we got quite a number of walk-up enquires from women when she was with me. When she stopped working with me and I carried on cleaning on my own, most of them cancelled over time. 

I guess they asked us as they felt more comfortable with a mixed team than a single male.

We had a young sales lady in the show room when I worked in the motor trade. Women customers would gravitate to her as they felt more comfortable dealing with a woman and men would gravitate to her for reasons only men can explain.?

It used to cause a few problems among the sales blokes because they felt they weren't getting a fair share of the walk-up trade. Sales manager told them if they couldn't complete to put on makeup, wear a dress and grow a pair.?

My wife helped me out years ago she spent most her time talking to custys spent 30 minutes in an old ladys house drinking tea ?

We would probably end up using the wfp's like pugil sticks in someone's garden 
Talking of tea, us blokes can retreat to the van to have a quick pee which I have to do more and more these days.

The wife needed to go home to use a 'trusted' toilet. I can understand her not wanting to use a local convenience as they are  filthy places. I used to leave the houses that were close to home for the days she worked with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of tea, us blokes can retreat to the van to have a quick pee which I have to do more and more these days.

The wife needed to go home to use a 'trusted' toilet. I can understand her not wanting to use a local convenience as they are  filthy places. I used to leave the houses that were close to home for the days she worked with me.
Should order her a she wee for her birthday ?

Back