Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I've got a £5k budget & need advice on a WFP system plz

Nick73

Hi boys & girl windys

I have been a trad windy for a while now & feel the need to go WFP as there are a lot of potential customers I have to pass up as many windows i simply cannot reach with ladders & steps.

As far as my van goes it is only an Astra van so height is a factor here when it comes to fitting a tank but im sure there is a decent amount of space for a tank, pump & RO+DI

90% of my customer base is domestic houses a the rest are shop fronts etc.

While i have anyone who's willing to help/guide me on these questions then suggest a tank/pump RO+DI hose reel & WFP then fire away as I'm fortunate enough to have what I consider a decent budget that I've saved long & hard for.

Really any advice would be great as there are some proper gurus on here.

Thanks in advance.

Only put the filtration system in the van if you have no room, garage / shed, at home. A flat tank will resolve the height issue.

As always check your TDS to make sure you use the correct system.

I would advise an electric reel either a power up Hd or PF reelmaster they are faster and help slow down the daily fatigue and just makes life so much easier. 

I agree with not putting filtration in the van if you can site it at home, your TDS will require a full R/O setup, I would advise one based on a 4040 R/O otherwise you may end up spending again in the future.

Most on here would advise if you have water tanks it’s best to secure them down by bolting through the floor with a proper frame and having a bulk head. Don’t know if that’s possible in an Astra van or if you have a bulk head. Trouble is if you have a front end impact the tank will join you in the front of the van if not properly secured and could be life changing/ending
Also wfp is addictive and you’ll probably find you start doing more and more rather than trad. Then you’ll want to carry more water and could rapidly outgrow the Astra. I have no idea what payload an Astra can handle but wouldn’t think it’s on par with a larger van. 
You may even find a wfp van for sale all set up and ready to go for £5k. 
That may not be what you want to hear but just my view having started in a very small van and then upgrading. And then upgrading again as still wasn’t big enough ?

100% home made system.

Van

Tank, pump, battery, split relay/bat2bat charger, hose and reel, cpl poles, puml, 1/2doz brushes, basic trad setup.

Home

1000lt ibc, submersible pump, transfer hose, 450gpd ro system, spare set filters.

With £5k you can also add a gutter vac to the set up

Most on here would advise if you have water tanks it’s best to secure them down by bolting through the floor with a proper frame and having a bulk head. Don’t know if that’s possible in an Astra van or if you have a bulk head. Trouble is if you have a front end impact the tank will join you in the front of the van if not properly secured and could be life changing/ending
Also wfp is addictive and you’ll probably find you start doing more and more rather than trad. Then you’ll want to carry more water and could rapidly outgrow the Astra. I have no idea what payload an Astra can handle but wouldn’t think it’s on par with a larger van. 
You may even find a wfp van for sale all set up and ready to go for £5k. 
That may not be what you want to hear but just my view having started in a very small van and then upgrading. And then upgrading again as still wasn’t big enough ?
Totally agree with this, bin off trad asap, safety is key and times money and trad is time consuming in comparrison

Biggest tank an Astra will take is a 350, pretty sure either an upright or a flat will fit. A 400l flat will fit on the floor but they are a pain in the **** for air locks, and actually getting all of the water out. 
also the payload on an Astra is only around 600kg so any bigger than a 350 and you’ll be overweight ?

If it's old style astra van with a really low roof, you are going to be limited on tank size, so as @High-tower says a 350ltr flat tank, but this could completely fill the back of your van, you would have no space for a reel, toolbox and all the other bit's and pieces a wfp cleaner needs to carry, 

If you love your van and don't want to get rid of it, then you will most likely have to pay for a custom made flat tank to be made and fitted, this will accommodate a battery and pump etc but also to have a reel bolted to the top of the tank, but no doubt you will have to leave your van tailgate open and up at all times whilst working, if you value your life get it professionally fitted whatever you decide to do tank wise 

If it's old style astra van with a really low roof, you are going to be limited on tank size, so as @High-tower says a 350ltr flat tank, but this could completely fill the back of your van, you would have no space for a reel, toolbox and all the other bit's and pieces a wfp cleaner needs to carry, 

If you love your van and don't want to get rid of it, then you will most likely have to pay for a custom made flat tank to be made and fitted, this will accommodate a battery and pump etc but also to have a reel bolted to the top of the tank, but no doubt you will have to leave your van tailgate open and up at all times whilst working, if you value your life get it professionally fitted whatever you decide to do tank wise 
They was a thread on one of the forums with photos of a tank fitted inside an Astra. This was a long time ago though. I can't remember who did it.

It was Xline and it was a Combo.

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/xline-blog/xline-van-systems/item/99-vauxhall-combo-crewcab-350ltr-2-man-r-o-x-tank-system

Last edited by a moderator:
They was a thread on one of the forums with photos of a tank fitted inside an Astra. This was a long time ago though. I can't remember who did it.

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/xline-blog/xline-van-systems/item/99-vauxhall-combo-crewcab-350ltr-2-man-r-o-x-tank-system
Xline did do an Astra.

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/xline-blog/xline-van-systems/item/47-astra-van-1-man-350ltr-system

The upright will fit in the older style too. A clover style or claber reel will fit. 

I used an Astra briefly when I started, one of my favourite vans, but found stooping under the tailgate a pain, but I’m 6’5” ?....

Interesting. surely the rear axle will be way overloaded that van looked on it's ass and I am guessing that is with the tank empty.

If that's what X-Line do I would be hesitant of having a system fitted by them. 

Interesting. surely the rear axle will be way overloaded that van looked on it's ass and I am guessing that is with the tank empty.

If that's what X-Line do I would be hesitant of having a system fitted by them. 
I wouldn't know if the rear axle was overloaded or not tbh. The old Astra had a payload of 600kgs from consulting an old "What Van" magazine. I'm sure that most of the tank was infront of the rear axle so the rear axle wouldn't have taken the full brunt of the tank and frame.

We used to be able to fit a 350 liter upright tank in the old Combo van and still be legal, but one had to be careful not adding too much additional equipment.

Unfortunately you have to presume that Xline know what they are doing. If they fitted an oversize tank and it was the cause of a fatal accident, then Xline would be in real trouble.

Another company also fitted and documented a 350 liter tank in an Astra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xline did do an Astra.

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/xline-blog/xline-van-systems/item/47-astra-van-1-man-350ltr-system

The upright will fit in the older style too. A clover style or claber reel will fit. 

I used an Astra briefly when I started, one of my favourite vans, but found stooping under the tailgate a pain, but I’m 6’5” ?....
On a taller van a tailgate makes window cleaning life easier if you are short but carrying ladders gets in the way of the tailgate opening properly.

Latest Posts

Back