Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning windows over an extension

Millie77

Hi all,

I am new to this and have just started my own business! I have a question regarding traditional window cleaning.. How can u clean the windows above an extension like the picture attached?

92861C77-6724-469B-B1F1-F66E4A83DF41.jpeg

Yeah I have a trad pole but still doesn’t seem to get the job done properly. Thank you! Just out of curiosity, are there many solely traditional windies or do people use wfp more now?

Yeah I have a trad pole but still doesn’t seem to get the job done properly. Thank you! Just out of curiosity, are there many solely traditional windies or do people use wfp more now?
There are still quite a few still about but once they realise the benefits and safety aspect of wfp they start switching over. Too many people get hurt from ladder falls. 

I'm not trying to start an argument as I know some prefer to trad over wfp.

There are still quite a few still about but once they realise the benefits and safety aspect of wfp they start switching over. Too many people get hurt from ladder falls. 

I'm not trying to start an argument as I know some prefer to trad over wfp.
Yeah that’s my main concern with the ladder.. 21 year old female?.. better get on the weights!!

Yeah that’s my main concern with the ladder.. 21 year old female?.. better get on the weights!!
Ladders can be deadly, it just takes one mistake! You have so many years ahead of you why take risks? Seriously look at wfp. Have a search from top right search box. Even if you start using a backpack out of a car. WFP is soo much safer and maybe quicker - so you can do more a day.

@Dave B skylights not included ? 
That's my issue.

I clean wfp but still use trad but I could never quote a job with skylights and say to tje customer sorry I can't clean them.

Even if it meant going inside and flipping them round to trad them.

Ladders can be deadly, it just takes one mistake! You have so many years ahead of you why take risks? Seriously look at wfp. Have a search from top right search box. Even if you start using a backpack out of a car. WFP is soo much safer and maybe quicker - so you can do more a day.
Yeah I get that, but I have a lot of customer now that have got rid of WFP windies and prefer the traditional method! A lot of people where I live anyway ? 

Doing a good job on that with trad tools will be almost impossible, it’s probably best to walk away from this one . Wfp would do it .

That's my issue.

I clean wfp but still use trad but I could never quote a job with skylights and say to tje customer sorry I can't clean them.

Even if it meant going inside and flipping them round to trad them.
Yes, I have skylights on my house and I just flip them to clean them! So much easier! 

I have a lot of bungalows near me so I can hit those up aswell!!

i am currently doing this part time at the weekends on top of my 9-5 job ? 

Yeah I get that, but I have a lot of customer now that have got rid of WFP windies and prefer the traditional method! A lot of people where I live anyway ? 
I think that's because some wfp windys don't know what they are doing or have poor technique.

Maybe transition them over by saying you will trad ground floor and wfp upstairs. You could use the H&S angle that is open to interpretation but basically states that if there is an alternative way of working then you shouldn't work off ladders. WFP is an alternative so H&S could fine you for working off ladders!!!!!

If you prove to them you are doing a better job wfp i.e. frames and sills clean as well as glass. 

If you can any new customers should be wfp only that way you gradually transition everyone over to wfp.

Doing a good job on that with trad tools will be almost impossible, it’s probably best to walk away from this one . Wfp would do it .
Thankyou ? Customer has said they would like me to do all windows apart from ones I can’t reach £8 monthly 

I think that's because some wfp windys don't know what they are doing or have poor technique.

Maybe transition them over by saying you will trad ground floor and wfp upstairs. You could use the H&S angle that is open to interpretation but basically states that if there is an alternative way of working then you shouldn't work off ladders. WFP is an alternative so H&S could fine you for working off ladders!!!!!

If you prove to them you are doing a better job wfp i.e. frames and sills clean as well as glass. 

If you can any new customers should be wfp only that way you gradually transition everyone over to wfp.
Thankyou for this! Very helpful! 

The trouble is will these people keep paying you if, God forbid, you have an accident. I think we all know the answer to that. They probably changed because the previous WFP's were poor at the job. If I were you I'd get a backpack and trolley to clean these types of windows and look at converting your customers by initially doing 1st floor by WFP. If they still don't like it then you have a decision to make. Good luck whichever way you chose to go.

The trouble is will these people keep paying you if, God forbid, you have an accident. I think we all know the answer to that. They probably changed because the previous WFP's were poor at the job. If I were you I'd get a backpack and trolley to clean these types of windows and look at converting your customers by initially doing 1st floor by WFP. If they still don't like it then you have a decision to make. Good luck whichever way you chose to go.
Thankyou, very helpful! ? 

I feel like I have to charge less as I am a newbie 
No don't be too cheap just to get customers. When you no longer consider yourself a 'newbie' how are you going to increase the prices!!! Start with a professional attitude and charge a professional rate. I assume you have insurance?

As long as you do a good job why is your work worth less than someone else?

I assume you are thinking about window cleaning as a career? 

No don't be too cheap just to get customers. When you no longer consider yourself a 'newbie' how are you going to increase the prices!!! Start with a professional attitude and charge a professional rate. I assume you have insurance?

As long as you do a good job why is your work worth less than someone else?

I assume you are thinking about window cleaning as a career? 
I understand that but I see how much the local people charge and feel I have to match that! Yeah I have insurance.

the aim is to start this as a new career as I do genuinely enjoy it!

Latest Posts

Back