Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using underfloor rollers?

ched999uk

I completely get the idea of having through floor rollers allowing the van doors to be locked and no reel outside. What I don't know is when you finish a job do you reel all your hose back inside the van and then on next job thread the hose through the floor rollers and reach under the van and grab the hose or is there something I am missing?

I did think maybe some have something to hold the hose on the outside by the bumper? If so does the hose get damaged from stone chips or dragging on ground etc?

Cheers for any help.

I've looked into this, using the search bar so you're getting a paddlin ??

Nah but seriously, some have said about using crocodile clips to stop the hose coming loose. I think @Pjj has something where it plugs back into the system.

I've gone for these;

https://www.grippatank.co.uk/grippareel-roller-guide-floor-kit-th

haven't used them of course as I'm awaiting fitting. I plan to drop the hose through at each job. My biggest concern was the hose coming loose through the floor as you drive alone and wrapping around the wheel or something, unlikely but not impossible.

I chose those ones from Grippa as I read about the waterworks ones bending in use as they only have 2 bars where the Grippa ones have 4.

I did do a search as I was in fear of a paddlin ? I found quite a bit on fitting them but nothing on actually using them.

The water works ones need extra support underneath i.e. a strip of steel to the chassis or floor otherwise they will bend imho.

Connecting the hose to the van ports isn't a bad idea then I guess lock the reel in position or crock clip above inside roller probably would work. 

I was wondering if anyone had any ingenious ideas ? 

I know some lads have a roller in the floor and another on the bumper, that would be a pain to feed through every time. I can't imagine feeding it down one set of rollers will be that difficult at each job, time will tell. Over time the croc clip would cause damage to the hose and I know one of us would forget to lock the reel at each job!

Nah but seriously, some have said about using crocodile clips to stop the hose coming loose. I think @Pjj has something where it plugs back into the system.

I've gone for these;

https://www.grippatank.co.uk/grippareel-roller-guide-floor-kit-th

haven't used them of course as I'm awaiting fitting. I plan to drop the hose through at each job. My biggest concern was the hose coming loose through the floor as you drive alone and wrapping around the wheel or something, unlikely but not impossible.

I chose those ones from Grippa as I read about the waterworks ones bending in use as they only have 2 bars where the Grippa ones have 4.
Yes I have theses in my vans they are very good much stronger than all the other makes on the market ?

So do you thread hose through the rollers and reach under van for each van move or do you have another solution?
I have a return to tank hose under the rollers as we are hot and it needs to constantly re circulate so we disconnect the   pole and connect into that every move it  literally takes  2 seconds to connect/ disconnect   

We have the cheap ones, most the plastic has come off the rollers but still winds in. Us poor northern folk can't afford these fancy dan things.
Ime happy to donate FOC my old water works ones to you ??? they are sat in the garage under the Bench 

I have a return to tank hose under the rollers as we are hot and it needs to constantly re circulate so we disconnect the   pole and connect into that every move it  literally takes  2 seconds to connect/ disconnect   

Ime happy to donate FOC my old water works ones to you ??? they are sat in the garage under the Bench 
I'm thinking of going back to two single stack system, one on each side with two sets of rollers. I feel the bottom stack too low now and would like to make two plywood boxes for reels to sit on. I could then have both reels at their optimum height which is level with my 650 litre tank. Anyway I have to price for a care home with 70 windows, an inside price every 6 months and an outside price every 4 months. Was thinking £300 each or £600 for both, all thoughts welcome. 

Good luck getting £300 for 70 windows, you'll have @Pjj jealous if you do. I don't know what prices are like in your area but the £600 is probably more then their full years budget.

Would think 70 windows is a little over an hours work.

I'm thinking of going back to two single stack system, one on each side with two sets of rollers. I feel the bottom stack too low now and would like to make two plywood boxes for reels to sit on. I could then have both reels at their optimum height which is level with my 650 litre tank. Anyway I have to price for a care home with 70 windows, an inside price every 6 months and an outside price every 4 months. Was thinking £300 each or £600 for both, all thoughts welcome. 
This was the set up in my old van the stacking reels saves a lot of space but I prefer the reels side by side 

30FAB6A1-E179-4555-AEDA-CF8C57A0C0B8.jpeg

Good luck getting £300 for 70 windows, you'll have @Pjj jealous if you do. I don't know what prices are like in your area but the £600 is probably more then their full years budget.

If my maths is right that’s £4:28 per window ???that’s a bit more than some of our jobs ???

Depending on size and after the first clean it’s 15-30 seconds per window that’s how long it takes us on our stuff for an average clean I have spent a lot of time  working this out as it’s key to an accurate time scale when quoting work, I allow 3-4 times thus per window for dirty first cleans  and find it’s fairly accurate for how we work .

This was the set up in my old van the stacking reels saves a lot of space but I prefer the reels side by side 

View attachment 23048
I like the height of those reels and they come with their own rollers, perfect for a 2 man operation. I'm getting fed up using my window cleaning van for carrying scaffold but its ok for the PW, Vac and backpacks. With more continuity from windy cleaning means something else needs to give and I can realise why folk with a full round dodge the add-ons. ?

Depending on size and after the first clean it’s 15-30 seconds per window that’s how long it takes us on our stuff for an average clean I have spent a lot of time  working this out as it’s key to an accurate time scale when quoting work, I allow 3-4 times thus per window for dirty first cleans  and find it’s fairly accurate for how we work .
I worked on the basis he's not a full time windy and allowed setting up and reeling in time. It's probably a £50-£60 job, tops, in my area.

If my maths is right that’s £4:28 per window ???that’s a bit more than some of our jobs ???
Might go in at £200 then and see how it goes. The other mob don't want to do the insides and I know why. Don't need the job but its only a mile away so it would be handy. In 2017 a big new blind care home was built at the cost of £17 million in a nice area up here. Just read in the local paper that its losing a million a year before the virus struck and now losing £2 million a year. It is now closing down in 3 months with the lose of 20 jobs. I used to think care homes were money making machines but becoming more like moneypits now with the virus and will be looking at cutting overheads. That's why I've been asked I guess. ? 

I worked on the basis he's not a full time windy and allowed setting up and reeling in time. It's probably a £50-£60 job, tops, in my area.
Without seeing the job it’s hard to say they could all be difficult access or all very easy , also travel time to and from the job will affect the price on commercial I charge for that as well between jobs if I can , 70  windows shouldn’t take long once up to speed we do a nursing home with 120 windows which includes a conservatory and conservatory roof ,takes 1 hour 20 muinits every clean the roof is always a nightmare , that’s £125 every 6 weeks , I think that’s very cheap I haven’t increased the price in 5 years .

Its not that easy access round the back and would need all my reel out. Maybe go in for £150 outside and £200 inside and see how it goes. I don't really like commercial and prefer domestic because I get walk ups like today. An £8 below the one I clean on groundfloor every month and a £20 conny roof clean and both I don't need to move the van. Commercial are good but they disappear as soon as someone comes in with a lower price. 

Without seeing the job it’s hard to say they could all be difficult access or all very easy , also travel time to and from the job will affect the price on commercial I charge for that as well between jobs if I can , 70  windows shouldn’t take long once up to speed we do a nursing home with 120 windows which includes a conservatory and conservatory roof ,takes 1 hour 20 muinits every clean the roof is always a nightmare , that’s £125 every 6 weeks , I think that’s very cheap I haven’t increased the price in 5 years .
Is that 2 men 1 hour 20 minutes, so 2 hour 40 minute man hours.

Latest Posts

Back