Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

PUMP PROBLEM!!!!!!!

Boab McK

Hi I'm currently using the Face-lift Compact 325ltr model wfp, had it around 9 months and was working great, now it seems to have lost power, I've disconnected from the reel and it's only filling 500ml in 60 seconds, also the pump keeps running even though I switch it off with univalve, it should dead end but it just keeps running though the water has stopped.

Any help would be appreciated 

Hi I'm currently using the Face-lift Compact 325ltr model wfp, had it around 9 months and was working great, now it seems to have lost power, I've disconnected from the reel and it's only filling 500ml in 60 seconds, also the pump keeps running even though I switch it off with univalve, it should dead end but it just keeps running though the water has stopped.

Any help would be appreciated 
Have u checked the strainer/filter? Sounds like a air or water blockage??

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to start by recalibrating it mate. Get your longest pole at full extension, pull quite a bit of house out the van and follow the steps in this video.

Have u checked the strainer/filter?
Yes checked and cleaned 

1 minute ago, P4dstar said:

You need to start by recalibrating it mate. Get your longest pole at full extension, pull quite a bit of house out the van and follow the steps in this video.

Thanks ill try this in morning, honestly driving me up the wall haha

Yes checked and cleaned 

Thanks ill try this in morning, honestly driving me up the wall haha
Best of luck with it mate. If it doesn't work let us know, perhaps someone else will have another idea too. Also worth making sure there's a good amount of water in the tank before you start too.

Sorry for being dumb but add a short pipe to where and what does that do?
Sorry add short piece of pipe to pump outlet as when water comes out you don't want to flood van ? It also makes it easier to suck. The idea is to assist the pump pulling through the water by sucking on the short pipe connected to the outlet of the pump to suck out the air.

Sorry add short piece of pipe to pump outlet as when water comes out you don't want to flood van ? It also makes it easier to suck. The idea is to assist the pump pulling through the water by sucking on the short pipe connected to the outlet of the pump to suck out the air.
Ah I see my system has a male connector that gos into reel already, it is also quite long the outlet pipe as it is so do I just suck on the male connector for a bit?

if you have an airlock run your pump on full and keep connecting and disconnecting your hose on the side of your reel for a min or two....that will clear it and itll be working fine again....no need to suck on anything?

if you have an airlock run your pump on full and keep connecting and disconnecting your hose on the side of your reel for a min or two....that will clear it and itll be working fine again....no need to suck on anything!?
Hahaha thanks for the input ill try everything tomorrow

Ah I see my system has a male connector that gos into reel already, it is also quite long the outlet pipe as it is so do I just suck on the male connector for a bit?
I have the same system and only ever had a airlock once due to running out of water just disconnect that Male connector you mentioned and let it run it will clear in no time if it’s a air lock ? great little system mine is nearly five years old and never missed a beat ?

I have the same system and only ever had a airlock once due to running out of water just disconnect that Male connector you mentioned and let it run it will clear in no time if it’s a air lock ? great little system mine is nearly five years old and never missed a beat ?
I have let it run for quite a while disconnected but still the same flow, I've had no issues upto now with it

I have let it run for quite a while disconnected but still the same flow, I've had no issues upto now with it
The airlock issue,  running your pump flat needs to be ideally done with the hose disconnected from the hose reel if doable this will draw the airlock out in seconds  next thing to try although you shouldn't need to as water is coming through would be if the hose from your outlet to your hose reel has a hozelock style fitting disconnect from the hose reel remove hozelock fitting run the pump and suck on the hose it will create a vacuum and sort out the airlock issue in 2 seconds, but this usually only needed if you aren't getting any water through at all. 

Second thing to check is, is your cal set too high and causing and issue maybe but I doubt it, also univalve's can have issues with not fully opening and closing the last thing to check actually make it your first job is to ensure that all hose connections are tight  checking every jubilee clip is fully tightened up these do need checking every once in a while and can be the cause of air been drawn in and causing this issue also if you have any plastic hozelock style fittings these can wear out and cause issues as well.

If air is the problem then it's being sucked in before the pump. Either the tank has run dry or a fitting isn't sealing properly.

Air could only be sucked in when the water level of the tank is lower than the pump as gravity will replenish the water drawn by the pump.

We have Shurflo pumps on the van. Before each pump is a Shurflo inline filter. The other day someone showed a photo of a filter bowl that had cracked due to freezing water. I removed one of the bowls to clean the filter and didn't tighten the bowl enough. Air was being sucked into the system creating an airlock. 

The Shurflo connectors are plastic with a cone sealing surface. I usually tighten those by hand and then nip them up with a spanner.

Cold weather does make the plastic inlet hose more stiff. Warming the hose connectors up with a hair dryer and tightening the clamps will reseal the hose on the connector.

I don't know the system tbh. Does it have a stop valve on the table outlet? Have you turned it off and forgotten to turn it back on?

Is the tank venting? 

Someone found the screws holding the pump head to the body had worked loose causing an air leak

Then: has the pump frozen up and now damaged?  There was a report of the diaphragm being pushed 'aside' when his pump frozen up. He was able to take the housing apart and reseat the diaphragm.

I would guess airlock, air getting in from a lose fitting. My strainer seal needed replaced before as air was coming in it 

Latest Posts

Back