Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you still take a money float with you?

dazmond

I reckon I only get 20% of my earnings in cash these days but I always grab a handful of coins from my old green unger 'float' bag every morning before I leave...

I've noticed it's been really heavy and full lately and I've never counted it for ages so I thought I'd count it today.....just under £400 in coins!

I only had enough money bags to bag up £220....at one time I could just nip to my local post office and they would exchange it for notes no problem but not anymore...they refuse unless you bank with them(I dont).....so the only way I can use them is when I fill up with diesel at £40 a time and even then they sigh when I hand them 40 pound coins in 2 bags!.....??

Pay it into the bank you can pay in 10 bags per visit to the bank , we encourage BACS payments but quite a few pay cash , we always carry change .

Why can you not pay coins in ??? Thought that’s what banks were for ?? Ime with lloyds 
I'm with tesco bank....you cant pay coins in,only notes....I moved to tesco bank from Halifax when they shut my local branch down years ago so I used to pay notes and cheques in when I did my weekly shop...I dont have to do either now as I get loads of BACS payments and I dont get any cheques anymore.....

I carry £10 in £1 & £2 coins plus a fiver which I keep in a small camera case attached to my belt.

I also keep a few business cards in afore-mentioned camera case which saves me having to walk back to the van if I get any enquiries.

We carry a small amount of cash float. Three £5 notes in a traders "magic wallet", ten pound coins in a sandwich bag in a small cash tin kept secure in the van.

Son and I also each carry a small folding wallet. These each contain a £5 note and five one pound coins for immediate change. Also two small sandwich bags, a mini pen and a few of our four types of business cards.

Days of cash are fast coming to an end looking at some of the difficulties in using it over the last few years. Or at least it will seem. It was not too long ago the news was reporting to not pay trades people in cash.

portrayed as though we’re all driving ferraris with the non declared cash income! ?

I guess the authorities know a lot of money is not declared so reducing cash usage will increase treasury revenue via tax.

Covid is like another nail in the coffin for cash usage.

Back to point. we carry a small cash float but do not generally accept cash at all anymore. Maybe a few payments per month. Just become a hassle now with multiple vans.

if you want notes @dazmond pop into a high street shop to change it when they’re back open. Many shops hate having to keep going to the bank to ask for change. I remember the banks always being arsey about it as we used to always go most days.

if you want notes @dazmond pop into a high street shop to change it when they’re back open. Many shops hate having to keep going to the bank to ask for change. I remember the banks always being arsey about it as we used to always go most days.
All my £1, £2 coins and £5 notes are taken to the pub as they are always after change. Only trouble is I now have just over £700's worth.

We have a tin in the van that always has 2 x £5 10 x £1 coins and about £10 in silver. The silver is kept for the pita's who never have the correct money.

I always have £50 worth of fivers in my wallet and I hate £20 notes or anything larger. It all relates to my mum borrowing money from me. One day she asked for a fiver and i said i only have a tenner she replied that will do. After that day I have been a fan of fivers and keep 60 in my house. A fireman came up with a good idea in case of an emergency, he always kept a £100 note in a side area of his wallet. We all thought it was a great idea till one day he came in and told us he lost his £10 wallet. ?

I've tried to knock cash on the head last year, there's still 5% or so hanging on but I don't carry change anymore. I tell them that I don't carry change anymore and they usually say to keep the change as credit for the next clean. They get a text the evening before so they have a little notice to get the money together. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 cash days a month because of the oldies, but I don't hand out change, any notes I get I can pay into my bank account at the post office all coin gets safely stashed as at my bank they have a coin counter like the ones in supermarkets but without the rip off charge so I go there and get a print out receipt and then pay it in over the counter. 

Always start the week off with a float. Cashed up every week. Good practice if you every employ to have a robust process for cash. 25% of my custies are DD now though. Which I do prefer. 

I remember when it was hard to get people to pay any other way other than cash, you still get the odd older dear who is skeptical, but perseptions have changed massively over the last decade.

I've always carried a float $50 in $5 for the off chance I need for change on the very rare occasion that its needed.

I've done that for 30 years.

Back