Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

e-van - the future is here!?

The future is here! Fully electric van with a 650 phoenix system fitted by BCS;

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKQ2-OwJukQ/

Over 1200kg payload and under £30k sounds reasonable.

https://www.peugeot.co.uk/about-us/latest-news/next-generation-van-all-new-peugeot-e-expert/

First company offering e-van? Anyone already in e-van?

Many of us in London may need to get one soonen or later...

View attachment 23077
Looks good let’s just hope they are more reliable than there cars   ????

We will all need to get one as diesel's will be banned soon, just don't think, for me, they're viable at the moment.
Don’t think it’s that soon they are allowed to sell petrol/ diesel vehicles until 2030 then there will be at least a 10 year life span from there so that’s 2040 , they might put extra taxation on them but I wouldn’t be surprised if commercial vehicles will be allowed to be used for longer , what are they going to do with HGV .. they cannot run on electric for more than 7 miles and it’s unlikely they will get them to an acceptable range in 9 years ???

Don’t think it’s that soon they are allowed to sell petrol/ diesel vehicles until 2030 then there will be at least a 10 year life span from there so that’s 2040 , they might put extra taxation on them but I wouldn’t be surprised if commercial vehicles will be allowed to be used for longer , what are they going to do with HGV .. they cannot run on electric for more than 7 miles and it’s unlikely they will get them to an acceptable range in 9 years ???
I think declining sales will force the price of production up making the cost of running internal combustion engines non viable for most and accelerating the demise.

Hydrogen is the obvious answer for HGV but that needs demand to increase for the cost of production to reduce.

Fasten your seatbelt, it might be a rough ride.

It will be the charges put on polluting vehicles, easy tax revenue to subsidise electric vehicles, that will make us buy electric. The figures on the OP's link said the range of the bigger battery was 205 miles, small print said depending on weather conditions and Van's payload. In the real world, fully loaded about 80 miles range.

It will be the charges put on polluting vehicles, easy tax revenue to subsidise electric vehicles, that will make us buy electric. The figures on the OP's link said the range of the bigger battery was 205 miles, small print said depending on weather conditions and Van's payload. In the real world, fully loaded about 80 miles range.
This range thing is just like fuel consumption figures real world figures and test figures are totally different I have a few customers that have electric  cars and all have said they don't get anything like the quoted figures ware we are you are always going up and down hills this uses a lot more power just the same as petrol/diesel vehicles do , also with electric if using lights, heating, heated rear screen, etc this reduces the range a lot one of my customers has a 125k tesler he used to drive through the night to go to London and had to stop twice to charge it up at night , driving during the day only one charge was needed, but that’s a 125 k car don’t think many of us will be driving them ???

The problem with electric vehicles is fuel duty - how are gov going to recoup that loss? Currently about 70% of pump price goes to gov!!! They must have a plan to get the money back one way or another. I can only imagine it's with road pricing and us all having black boxes fitted which charge us a fee per mile. It's easy to then charge differing fees during congested times or in certain zones. 

There have been a few scare type articles in the papers to soften us all up. They were quoting something like 50p a mile for road pricing. Which goes against HRMC saying 43p a mile is what it costs to run a car. I guess it will come down to about 20p a mile in the end!!

The problem with electric vehicles is fuel duty - how are gov going to recoup that loss? Currently about 70% of pump price goes to gov!!! They must have a plan to get the money back one way or another. I can only imagine it's with road pricing and us all having black boxes fitted which charge us a fee per mile. It's easy to then charge differing fees during congested times or in certain zones. 

There have been a few scare type articles in the papers to soften us all up. They were quoting something like 50p a mile for road pricing. Which goes against HRMC saying 43p a mile is what it costs to run a car. I guess it will come down to about 20p a mile in the end!!
My 25000 miles a year will become expensive.

I'm looking forward to them.  Be able to plug the gutter vac into it and power it from the van.  Also heat water using an immersion heater plugged into it.

Ford are releasing a Transit next year 236bhp, lol.

I'm looking forward to them.  Be able to plug the gutter vac into it and power it from the van.  Also heat water using an immersion heater plugged into it.

If you only need to drive 5 miles then you will be OK pulling mains for gutter vac and to heat your water. Otherwise they might not as good as you think.

Lol if you do that you won’t get home again ???electric cars aren’t designed to be a power source to other appliances 

They have one out at the minute I believe it may be a hybrid but the price was around £45k

It will take years for most to see a saving for them to switch to electric.

Lol if you do that you won’t get home again ???electric cars aren’t designed to be a power source to other appliances 
The transit one has got a 2.3 kw socket for plugging stuff in it.  100kw battery should be fine.  All my work is within 20 miles travelling each day so I reckon I could do it.

Israel are developing a 5 minute fast charger, the future will be here before we know it.  

Seriously though, I've looked at the hot water systems, then realised that pretty soon I will probably need a new van, you put the two together and look at the new alternative.  Electric van with a electric immersion heater, what's not to like, lol.

I think declining sales will force the price of production up making the cost of running internal combustion engines non viable for most and accelerating the demise.

Hydrogen is the obvious answer for HGV but that needs demand to increase for the cost of production to reduce.

Fasten your seatbelt, it might be a rough ride.
Hydrogen looked like it was going to be the way forward for a while, but they never managed to solve the storage problems so it think it's going to die out completely. Saying that, it could find it's niche in trains and trucks, perhaps planes, as you can have supply chains on predictable routes. 

On the other hand, batteries have been making incremental improvements at a steady rate and are getting more and more viable for hgvs. The latest big news are the graphene super capacitors that could work in conjunction with the batteries to store massive amounts of power quickly that would otherwise be lost, like regenerative braking on trains and trucks, there is too much power for a battery to absorb in time but a super capacitor can soak it up in seconds and send it back out again when it needs to get moving. They currently have 10 times lower energy density than batteries (Theoretically could get down to 3) but they are incredibly quick-in a car, they could take a 30 mile charge in less than a minute. Also they don't degrade over time like batteries. 

I think the mid-near future will be battery/super capacitor hybrids. For most journeys, the main battery would not even have to be used-extending its life dramatically. 

I'm just hoping by the time they bring these super vans out I'll be able to afford one! ?

Hydrogen looked like it was going to be the way forward for a while, but they never managed to solve the storage problems so it think it's going to die out completely. Saying that, it could find it's niche in trains and trucks, perhaps planes, as you can have supply chains on predictable routes. 

On the other hand, batteries have been making incremental improvements at a steady rate and are getting more and more viable for hgvs. The latest big news are the graphene super capacitors that could work in conjunction with the batteries to store massive amounts of power quickly that would otherwise be lost, like regenerative braking on trains and trucks, there is too much power for a battery to absorb in time but a super capacitor can soak it up in seconds and send it back out again when it needs to get moving. They currently have 10 times lower energy density than batteries (Theoretically could get down to 3) but they are incredibly quick-in a car, they could take a 30 mile charge in less than a minute. Also they don't degrade over time like batteries. 

I think the mid-near future will be battery/super capacitor hybrids. For most journeys, the main battery would not even have to be used-extending its life dramatically. 

I'm just hoping by the time they bring these super vans out I'll be able to afford one! ?
Sounds good but what will the cost  implications and weight be ???

An electric van would suit me as I only do around 3000 miles a year....I'll have to fit an immersion instead of a diesel heater to heat my water though...??.....webasto are gonna go out of business!

Latest Posts

Back