Jump to content

Portable hot water / system.


Highlander

Recommended Posts

I've lost more time with cold weather this year so far than i did all last winter . The problem has been the water freezing on the glass and my system freezing , ( it's usually the brush jets that freeze ) . I only use a trolley system as it suits my work . I do add Isoproponol ,( excuse the spelling ) , this works well down to about -1 but several days have been even colder .     I am looking for either a portable hot water system i can take out in the van or even a way to take out hot water with me ..   

 

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Highlander said:

I've lost more time with cold weather this year so far than i did all last winter . The problem has been the water freezing on the glass and my system freezing , ( it's usually the brush jets that freeze ) . I only use a trolley system as it suits my work . I do add Isoproponol ,( excuse the spelling ) , this works well down to about -1 but several days have been even colder .     I am looking for either a portable hot water system i can take out in the van or even a way to take out hot water with me ..   

 

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Stopping the water freezing in the tank hoses and jets is easy any hot system wether gas, diesel, or immersion heater will stop this , the problem you will face next is the water freezing on the ground causing a slip hazard for  the home owner this is far more  difficult to deal with , if you decide to salt paths etc there is a lot of extra time and cost per job , you solve one problem and create another 😂😂😂

Link to post

Some people use 2Kw immersion heater elements in their tanks. So if you process water at home you then use a mechanical flange, an immersion heater and insulate your tank.

Link to post
scottish cleaning service
14 minutes ago, Highlander said:

I've lost more time with cold weather this year so far than i did all last winter . The problem has been the water freezing on the glass and my system freezing , ( it's usually the brush jets that freeze ) . I only use a trolley system as it suits my work . I do add Isoproponol ,( excuse the spelling ) , this works well down to about -1 but several days have been even colder .     I am looking for either a portable hot water system i can take out in the van or even a way to take out hot water with me ..   

 

Thanks in advance for any help ...

You could buy a gennie and boil pure water from a kettle. I was lucky, I saved up and bought a hot water system and now its working fine, I'm getting the benefit of it. Like most things in life, you need lots of money to make good money and I guess that's where the saying comes from, money comes to money.

  • Like 2
Link to post

I was told you can put through water up to 30 degrees through di vessel if you are in a soft water area n fill barrels, that may give enough heat to finish windows before they freeze

Link to post

A portable gas heater, on the vans open back door is a cheap option, and they work well, turns on/off with your water. Ive got 2 peter fogwill types in my loft that i dont use anymore because i live down south, but like 2 keep incase. But when i did try them out 4 a couple of months, 8yrs ago, I remember i had to run them on very low otherwise the pole hose was like hot jelly.

Edited by mac74
Link to post
21 hours ago, ched999uk said:

Some people use 2Kw immersion heater elements in their tanks. So if you process water at home you then use a mechanical flange, an immersion heater and insulate your tank.

Thanks , good idea.

21 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

You could buy a gennie and boil pure water from a kettle. I was lucky, I saved up and bought a hot water system and now its working fine, I'm getting the benefit of it. Like most things in life, you need lots of money to make good money and I guess that's where the saying comes from, money comes to money.

Cheers !

19 hours ago, mac74 said:

A portable gas heater, on the vans open back door is a cheap option, and they work well, turns on/off with your water. Ive got 2 peter fogwill types in my loft that i dont use anymore because i live down south, but like 2 keep incase. But when i did try them out 4 a couple of months, 8yrs ago, I remember i had to run them on very low otherwise the pole hose was like hot jelly.

Perhaps i should move South of the Border , maybe an answer ...

Link to post
19 minutes ago, doug atkinson said:

Anyone remember the cleaning show around 15 years ago there was a chap selling a hot water system in a wheely bin, it actually did work 😊

I'm surprised @scottish cleaning service didn't buy one, it would go with his gutter vac 😂

Link to post
scottish cleaning service
2 hours ago, doug atkinson said:

Anyone remember the cleaning show around 15 years ago there was a chap selling a hot water system in a wheely bin, it actually did work 😊

Aye Ted Rodgers, think it cost £321 😂😂 

Link to post
scottish cleaning service
1 hour ago, Part Timer said:

I'm surprised @scottish cleaning service didn't buy one, it would go with his gutter vac 😂

Aye the wheels fell off of mine. Tried to fit the harness from a Gardiners backpack on my vac until someone called me a space cadet so I just carry it now. 😆

  • Haha 3
Link to post
13 hours ago, doug atkinson said:

Anyone remember the cleaning show around 15 years ago there was a chap selling a hot water system in a wheely bin, it actually did work 😊

We had Peter Fogwell with his trolley heater conversion around the same time. Its still on his website although he stopped selling gas heaters many years ago.

Link to post
10 hours ago, spruce said:

We had Peter Fogwell with his trolley heater conversion around the same time. Its still on his website although he stopped selling gas heaters many years ago.

Yep I had one of Peters gas heaters. Went on strong for best part of 10 years 👍

Link to post
1 hour ago, steve garwood said:

Yep I had one of Peters gas heaters. Went on strong for best part of 10 years 👍

Those were good heaters. We never found out why he suddenly stopped selling them.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
13 minutes ago, spruce said:

Those were good heaters. We never found out why he suddenly stopped selling them.

Probably due to the possibility of litigation if one blew up 😂😂😂 he could be held responsible, and doubt he was gas safe qualified 

Link to post
4 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Not sure if Gas Safe has qualification for WFP trolley installation 🤣

The installation would have tk meet the portable lpg regulations 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Pjj said:

The installation would have tk meet the portable lpg regulations 

The UK has some really confusing regulations. For example; a supplier can sell you a laser blocker and it’s perfectly legal for you to buy it and to have one mounted on your windscreen. However, you break the law using it.

Why not ban the sales of them to begin with?

If a supplier sells them then it’s up to the buyer to ensure they are fitted correctly, whatever that is. Maybe the heaters didn't have a CE mark? As far as I'm aware there are no gas regulations for window cleaners. The industry just presumed that if it was fitted with gas standards applicable in the motorhome and caravan industry it would be ok.

Many years ago I phoned my insurance company and they emphatically stated that they wouldn't insure me with a gas heater on board. I asked if the same regulation applied to roofers. They didn't answer that question but again stated that they would cancel my insurance if I fitted one.

It kind of reminded me of the bull bar saga about 10 years ago. The government made a big story about hitting a pedestrian. He would have little chance of survival if hit with a car with a bull bar at 20 mph where he stood a good chance of survival if hit at the same speed by the same vehicle without a bull bar.

The government didn’t ban the use of bull bars but left the insurance companies to solve the problem. No insurance if you car is fitted with said bars.

 

Link to post
32 minutes ago, spruce said:

The UK has some really confusing regulations. For example; a supplier can sell you a laser blocker and it’s perfectly legal for you to buy it and to have one mounted on your windscreen. However, you break the law using it.

Why not ban the sales of them to begin with?

If a supplier sells them then it’s up to the buyer to ensure they are fitted correctly, whatever that is. Maybe the heaters didn't have a CE mark? As far as I'm aware there are no gas regulations for window cleaners. The industry just presumed that if it was fitted with gas standards applicable in the motorhome and caravan industry it would be ok.

Many years ago I phoned my insurance company and they emphatically stated that they wouldn't insure me with a gas heater on board. I asked if the same regulation applied to roofers. They didn't answer that question but again stated that they would cancel my insurance if I fitted one.

It kind of reminded me of the bull bar saga about 10 years ago. The government made a big story about hitting a pedestrian. He would have little chance of survival if hit with a car with a bull bar at 20 mph where he stood a good chance of survival if hit at the same speed by the same vehicle without a bull bar.

The government didn’t ban the use of bull bars but left the insurance companies to solve the problem. No insurance if you car is fitted with said bars.

 

There is no gas regulation for window cleaners as such but there is a portable gas appliance legislation that would apply to ones using portable shower units that window cleaners use it comes under portable lpg appliances I was talking to a gas engineer and he said they now have to have different qualifications to work on a house with mains gas and a different one for mobile homes , and caravans all done to get more money out of the plumbers pockets 😂😂😂😂

Link to post
scottish cleaning service

An LPG ticket because its not the same density as natural gas. We all used a 30mb gas test gauge but with LPG you need to buy a 60mb test gauge so its not about money. Regulation 26,9 covers nearly everything for a gas engineer.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.