Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Building my business

Dt 20

Putting a lot into my business and no see much return starting to think was it worth it but I’m going hold it good things take time I guess 

ever since I started for some reason there seams to be more window cleaners around then before or is that Down to me taking notice now 

Suppose there’s Enuf out there for everyone. 

We all go through periods of self doubt, it does appear that more people are getting in to it though as it's relatively easy compared to ladders and everyone on the FB sites brag how much money they make, reality is somewhat different for most of them. However this job continues to expand as there's always new houses getting built, hang in there and as long as you continue with your strong work ethic you should get there.

We all go through periods of self doubt, it does appear that more people are getting in to it though as it's relatively easy compared to ladders and everyone on the FB sites brag how much money they make, reality is somewhat different for most of them. However this job continues to expand as there's always new houses getting built, hang in there and as long as you continue with your strong work ethic you should get there.
Yea cheers for that mate 

just want to build it up not had any Enquiries this year I’m not give up till I want 

going put all my heart and soul into it just hope it’s worth it 

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first year is the hardest I believe, well it was for me. I had that much time on my hands that every week I was going out with flyers on new estates. Best thing for me was to accept anyone and drive all over the place and it wasn't worth my time when I paid for fuel. Now I understand why any new business usually fails in the first year because its very hard going and gets you down. I just grinded it out and now after 3 years its all fitted into place. New customers brings in new customers especially in different areas that's what I'm noticing. Folk move away and keep your number and call you back to clean again. The money means nothing to me now because its all about giving a reliable service. ?

It takes time and hard work to build a good round. Keep at it. It’s one of those things you can’t predict. You may clean one day and get no new customers other days you might get 5. People do watch and see if you do a good job, so always do a thorough job. Then hopefully they will walk over to you. 
I will say more and more people are getting into it. I saw 3 new vans in an area all with brand new shiny hose?. So more are getting into it. I’m fortunate I’ve been cleaning a long time. You will get there, keep positive. 

I only started last year and it is certainly a difficult time for new starters.  Persevere in the short term to succeed in the long term.  This is certainly a matter of survival of the fittest and if you can keep going for another year or so, the likes of us should succeed with perseverance, effort, commitment, quality of work and so forth.

It's going to be bumpy for a bit longer so hang in there.

You want to get out and canvass when you can especially if you have time on your hands maybe go out on Friday Saturday and Sunday and try and generate yourself work for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday the following week before you know it you'll have a decent amount of customers. That's the only way to get work in an area and keep it compact when your starting out once your in that area the people you didn't speak to last time will see you in the street and walk up to you for a quote well some of them will.

When you start out you have to chase work once you get a good reputation and recommendations the work will come to you , try and come up with something that the  competition  dont do to set you apart , and entice the customers to use you . 

Any tips or ideas on  that mate ? 
I was thinking first clean free but then they probably leave after that then I’m out of pocket 
Maybe , clean the garage door ,or the window on the garage , or clean the porch light, or name plate , or the porch canopy or something similar , all jobs that take a short amount of time but make a difference. 

DONT  EVER OFFER THE FIRST  CLEAN  FREE !!!! you are making yourself look cheap , and undervaluing your service 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips or ideas on  that mate ? 
I was thinking first clean free but then they probably leave after that then I’m out of pocket 
If anything dt 20 you want to charge more for the first clean its going to take you longer than a regular clean ie say if you charge £15 for a property add £2-£3 on for the first clean as long you explain why most customers are happy to agree and more likely to be regular long term customers as there willing to pay that little bit extra for the service. Don't sell your self short even if you are starting out. 

Putting a lot into my business and no see much return starting to think was it worth it but I’m going hold it good things take time I guess 

ever since I started for some reason there seams to be more window cleaners around then before or is that Down to me taking notice now 

Suppose there’s Enuf out there for everyone. 
it takes many years to build a decent business....ive been at it 28 years now....

like anything if you want it bad enough you ll work hard for it.....nothing worth having is handed to you on a plate pal.....

you gotta be persistent.....stick at it....

There are so many new starters its incredible.  One Fb "anyone recommend a window cleaner" post got closed after 23 minutes having about 75 replies lol.  Very tough now to build a new round in my opinion.  Especially as door knocking is questionable practice through a pandemic and lead generation is saturated

Good luck

There are so many new starters its incredible.  One Fb "anyone recommend a window cleaner" post got closed after 23 minutes having about 75 replies lol.  Very tough now to build a new round in my opinion.  Especially as door knocking is questionable practice through a pandemic and lead generation is saturated

Good luck
Think it’s depending on your area 

suppose there’s plenty of glass out there to be cleaned 

There is 526,980 houses in the area I’m building a round I can think of 30 

window cleaners   in the area who probs clean 400 houses a month (some less) 

who cleans the rest ?? 
plenty of work out there mate 

Back