Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Stupid question checklist


Digitalwindowcleaner

Recommended Posts

Digitalwindowcleaner

After a near accident with the ladder slipping out, I've decided to try waterfed pole cleaning. I'm going to start with just doing tops using pure water and gardiner back pack on a trolley and go from there. I've purchased the backpack, 6mm hose and fittings. The last piece i need is the pole and brush. I'm leaning towards the ova8 22' as an everyday pole for domestic tops. It's a lot of money and I'm in need of some help. From doing research i realise there's no ulyimate set up. But the Ova8 seem to be well regarded, but seem less robust than the SLX! I just wondered if i could get a bit of advise on length and brand before i pull the trigger?

Link to post

Further down there is a subject on the ova 8 pole. Your answers will be there. 
if you do three storey you will need a longer pole. Have you got the pure water sorted. That’s the first thing. You need your pressure measuring and TDS of water then you can be advised unless you have all this sorted already

Link to post
20 minutes ago, Digitalwindowcleaner said:

After a near accident with the ladder slipping out, I've decided to try waterfed pole cleaning. I'm going to start with just doing tops using pure water and gardiner back pack on a trolley and go from there. I've purchased the backpack, 6mm hose and fittings. The last piece i need is the pole and brush. I'm leaning towards the ova8 22' as an everyday pole for domestic tops. It's a lot of money and I'm in need of some help. From doing research i realise there's no ulyimate set up. But the Ova8 seem to be well regarded, but seem less robust than the SLX! I just wondered if i could get a bit of advise on length and brand before i pull the trigger?

22' is a good length to start off with - that'll get you over most conservatory roofs.

Some on here will recommend the Ova8 & others the SLX. In reality I expect there's not much between them. Personally I've always used Gardiner poles.

Link to post
Digitalwindowcleaner
7 hours ago, Cookie said:

22' is a good length to start off with - that'll get you over most conservatory roofs.

Some on here will recommend the Ova8 & others the SLX. In reality I expect there's not much between them. Personally I've always used Gardiner poles.

Yeah they seem well regarded. Would you mind recommending a gardiner one you like please?

Link to post
Digitalwindowcleaner

For the first time ever I'm in the process of moving over to waterfed pole. I've ordered a gardiner backpack, hose, 6 25l containers, connectors and sack trolley. And will order the pole tonight or tomorrow. I just have a few possibly stupid question. I've done a load of research, but answers from people with experience is invaluable. 

1. Do most people with the full rig on a van use warm water? 

2. Do people trad on first cleans where they can?

3. Does the water freeze on the windows in very cold weather?

I'd appreciate feedback 

Link to post

1. No. 
2. Definitely not.

 3. Yes. It varies but generally if the temp is 0 and above cold water is USUALLY ok. (Hint: cold morning, try and start somewhere in the sun but it can easy freeze at 1 side of a house but not the other 😂 In a town centre it’s less likely to freeze than out in the sticks when the temp is low). 

  • Agree 1
Link to post

I have only experienced water freezing on one house in 15 years and that was because the gas boiler had broken down. A house's central heating will keep the glass warm enough to never freeze. If you are cleaning an empty office block between Xmas and New Year you could also have a problem as some switch the central heating off over that period. I've had that as well.

However, we have had the issue with water freezing on the glass of unheated conservatories. We have a couple of houses where that is an issue and each of those conservatories is on the north side of the house. We usually leave those houses until the afternoon and clean them when the weather isn't freezing cold during the day. For the past 16 years now we have only had cold water. It is only this year that we have hot. 50 degrees at the heater ends up to be around 20 at the brush when the hose is running on frozen ground.

If this does catch you out then you will spend some time wetting the frozen windows with enough water to wash and rinse them. You will use a lot more water. As long as you have managed to scrub the glass and a good rinse the dirt will be gone. The water left behind will freeze on the glass but when it unfreezes and the glass dries, the windows will be clean. I've gone back a few days later when the weather warmed up to check. I would always advise you to do this for your peace of mind and your reputation.

The house with the broken boiler was a holiday home and had a repairer out later that day. Those windows were also clean after the house warmed up a bit.

Edited by spruce
Link to post
1 hour ago, Digitalwindowcleaner said:

For the first time ever I'm in the process of moving over to waterfed pole. I've ordered a gardiner backpack, hose, 6 25l containers, connectors and sack trolley. And will order the pole tonight or tomorrow. I just have a few possibly stupid question. I've done a load of research, but answers from people with experience is invaluable. 

1. Do most people with the full rig on a van use warm water? 

2. Do people trad on first cleans where they can?

3. Does the water freeze on the windows in very cold weather?

I'd appreciate feedback 

1. No most use cold water 

2. If you have wfp then use that doing it trad first isnt going  to be any advantage 

3. Yes it can do just start a bit later or try and do the sunny side of the street first 

Link to post
Digitalwindowcleaner
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

You are missing an R/O or DI unless you are buying pure water, also 6 containers isn't enough for full wfp

Thank you. I'm buying pure water at £34 for 1000 litres till i figure out something. Thanks for advise. I will buy some more containers right now. But i only plan on doing tops only at first atleast

Link to post
Digitalwindowcleaner
1 hour ago, Part Timer said:

No, No and possible but rarely. How or where are you getting your water

 

Thank you. Purchasing pure water for the time being

5 minutes ago, Pjj said:

1. No most use cold water 

2. If you have wfp then use that doing it trad first isnt going  to be any advantage 

3. Yes it can do just start a bit later or try and do the sunny side of the street first 

Perfect. And yes i see what you mean. Trad would only add soap for next time. I thought it might be a stupid question!

Link to post
5 minutes ago, Digitalwindowcleaner said:

Thank you. I'm buying pure water at £34 for 1000 litres till i figure out something. Thanks for advise. I will buy some more containers right now. But i only plan on doing tops only at first atleast

That's quite cheap, whereabouts in Southampton do you get it from

Link to post
Digitalwindowcleaner
45 minutes ago, spruce said:

I have only experienced water freezing on one house in 15 years and that was because the gas boiler had broken down. A house's central heating will keep the glass warm enough to never freeze. If you are cleaning an empty office block between Xmas and New Year you could also have a problem as some switch the central heating off over that period. I've had that as well.

However, we have had the issue with water freezing on the glass of unheated conservatories. We have a couple of houses where that is an issue and each of those conservatories is on the north side of the house. We usually leave those houses until the afternoon and clean them when the weather isn't freezing cold during the day. For the past 16 years now we have only had cold water. It is only this year that we have hot. 50 degrees at the heater ends up to be around 20 at the brush when the hose is running on frozen ground.

If this does catch you out then you will spend some time wetting the frozen windows with enough water to wash and rinse them. You will use a lot more water. As long as you have managed to scrub the glass a good rinse the dirt will be gone. The water left behind will freeze on the glass but when it unfreezes and the glass dries, the windows will be clean. I've gone back a few days later when the weather warmed up to check. I would always advise you to do this for your peace of mind and your reputation.

The house with the broken boiler was a holiday home and had a repairer out later that day. Those windows were also clean after the house warmed up a bit.

Of course yes it's pure water so like you say, it would just unfreeze! But yes i would check later. Thank you very much for the in depth reply!

Link to post
Digitalwindowcleaner
2 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

That's quite cheap, whereabouts in Southampton do you get it from

I'm not actually based in Southampton. I'm not sure why that's even on my profile! 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Digitalwindowcleaner said:

I'm not actually based in Southampton. I'm not sure why that's even on my profile! 

Well I am about to do a lot of travelling so would appreciate if you tell me where. I have a job in Southampton that's why I asked, but many other areas as well.

Link to post

SLX 22 OR 25.  

If you are 6’ or taller the 22 will probably be fine. If you are under 6’ I’d recommend the 25.

I used a number of different brands of pole till I discovered Gardiner’s poles. Then I didn’t feel the need to try others. They ticked all the right boxes for me except the ‘never needs replacing’ one. 😄

  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Digitalwindowcleaner
2 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Well I am about to do a lot of travelling so would appreciate if you tell me where. I have a job in Southampton that's why I asked, but many other areas as well.

Oh got you. It's aardvark cleaning in Fareham. 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Digitalwindowcleaner said:

Oh got you. in Fareham. 

I'd remove your company name if I were you. I actually do my best paid job, gutter clearing in Gosport and have just picked up window cleaning work in Southampton and Portsmouth.

Link to post

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept