Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stupid question checklist

After a near accident with the ladder slipping out, I've decided to try waterfed pole cleaning. I'm going to start with just doing tops using pure water and gardiner back pack on a trolley and go from there. I've purchased the backpack, 6mm hose and fittings. The last piece i need is the pole and brush. I'm leaning towards the ova8 22' as an everyday pole for domestic tops. It's a lot of money and I'm in need of some help. From doing research i realise there's no ulyimate set up. But the Ova8 seem to be well regarded, but seem less robust than the SLX! I just wondered if i could get a bit of advise on length and brand before i pull the trigger?

Further down there is a subject on the ova 8 pole. Your answers will be there. 
if you do three storey you will need a longer pole. Have you got the pure water sorted. That’s the first thing. You need your pressure measuring and TDS of water then you can be advised unless you have all this sorted already

After a near accident with the ladder slipping out, I've decided to try waterfed pole cleaning. I'm going to start with just doing tops using pure water and gardiner back pack on a trolley and go from there. I've purchased the backpack, 6mm hose and fittings. The last piece i need is the pole and brush. I'm leaning towards the ova8 22' as an everyday pole for domestic tops. It's a lot of money and I'm in need of some help. From doing research i realise there's no ulyimate set up. But the Ova8 seem to be well regarded, but seem less robust than the SLX! I just wondered if i could get a bit of advise on length and brand before i pull the trigger?
22' is a good length to start off with - that'll get you over most conservatory roofs.

Some on here will recommend the Ova8 & others the SLX. In reality I expect there's not much between them. Personally I've always used Gardiner poles.

22' is a good length to start off with - that'll get you over most conservatory roofs.

Some on here will recommend the Ova8 & others the SLX. In reality I expect there's not much between them. Personally I've always used Gardiner poles.
Yeah they seem well regarded. Would you mind recommending a gardiner one you like please?

For the first time ever I'm in the process of moving over to waterfed pole. I've ordered a gardiner backpack, hose, 6 25l containers, connectors and sack trolley. And will order the pole tonight or tomorrow. I just have a few possibly stupid question. I've done a load of research, but answers from people with experience is invaluable. 

1. Do most people with the full rig on a van use warm water? 

2. Do people trad on first cleans where they can?

3. Does the water freeze on the windows in very cold weather?

I'd appreciate feedback 

1. No. 
2. Definitely not.

3. Yes. It varies but generally if the temp is 0 and above cold water is USUALLY ok. (Hint: cold morning, try and start somewhere in the sun but it can easy freeze at 1 side of a house but not the other ? In a town centre it’s less likely to freeze than out in the sticks when the temp is low). 

I have only experienced water freezing on one house in 15 years and that was because the gas boiler had broken down. A house's central heating will keep the glass warm enough to never freeze. If you are cleaning an empty office block between Xmas and New Year you could also have a problem as some switch the central heating off over that period. I've had that as well.

However, we have had the issue with water freezing on the glass of unheated conservatories. We have a couple of houses where that is an issue and each of those conservatories is on the north side of the house. We usually leave those houses until the afternoon and clean them when the weather isn't freezing cold during the day. For the past 16 years now we have only had cold water. It is only this year that we have hot. 50 degrees at the heater ends up to be around 20 at the brush when the hose is running on frozen ground.

If this does catch you out then you will spend some time wetting the frozen windows with enough water to wash and rinse them. You will use a lot more water. As long as you have managed to scrub the glass and a good rinse the dirt will be gone. The water left behind will freeze on the glass but when it unfreezes and the glass dries, the windows will be clean. I've gone back a few days later when the weather warmed up to check. I would always advise you to do this for your peace of mind and your reputation.

The house with the broken boiler was a holiday home and had a repairer out later that day. Those windows were also clean after the house warmed up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the first time ever I'm in the process of moving over to waterfed pole. I've ordered a gardiner backpack, hose, 6 25l containers, connectors and sack trolley. And will order the pole tonight or tomorrow. I just have a few possibly stupid question. I've done a load of research, but answers from people with experience is invaluable. 

1. Do most people with the full rig on a van use warm water? 

2. Do people trad on first cleans where they can?

3. Does the water freeze on the windows in very cold weather?

I'd appreciate feedback 
1. No most use cold water 

2. If you have wfp then use that doing it trad first isnt going  to be any advantage 

3. Yes it can do just start a bit later or try and do the sunny side of the street first 

No, No and possible but rarely. How or where are you getting your water
Thank you. Purchasing pure water for the time being

1. No most use cold water 

2. If you have wfp then use that doing it trad first isnt going  to be any advantage 

3. Yes it can do just start a bit later or try and do the sunny side of the street first 
Perfect. And yes i see what you mean. Trad would only add soap for next time. I thought it might be a stupid question!

I have only experienced water freezing on one house in 15 years and that was because the gas boiler had broken down. A house's central heating will keep the glass warm enough to never freeze. If you are cleaning an empty office block between Xmas and New Year you could also have a problem as some switch the central heating off over that period. I've had that as well.

However, we have had the issue with water freezing on the glass of unheated conservatories. We have a couple of houses where that is an issue and each of those conservatories is on the north side of the house. We usually leave those houses until the afternoon and clean them when the weather isn't freezing cold during the day. For the past 16 years now we have only had cold water. It is only this year that we have hot. 50 degrees at the heater ends up to be around 20 at the brush when the hose is running on frozen ground.

If this does catch you out then you will spend some time wetting the frozen windows with enough water to wash and rinse them. You will use a lot more water. As long as you have managed to scrub the glass a good rinse the dirt will be gone. The water left behind will freeze on the glass but when it unfreezes and the glass dries, the windows will be clean. I've gone back a few days later when the weather warmed up to check. I would always advise you to do this for your peace of mind and your reputation.

The house with the broken boiler was a holiday home and had a repairer out later that day. Those windows were also clean after the house warmed up a bit.
Of course yes it's pure water so like you say, it would just unfreeze! But yes i would check later. Thank you very much for the in depth reply!

SLX 22 OR 25.  

If you are 6’ or taller the 22 will probably be fine. If you are under 6’ I’d recommend the 25.

I used a number of different brands of pole till I discovered Gardiner’s poles. Then I didn’t feel the need to try others. They ticked all the right boxes for me except the ‘never needs replacing’ one. ?

Back