Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Gutter Clearance In The Cold/Freezing


Master Jedi Alejandro

Recommended Posts

Alright lads,

Looking if anyone has any advice for clearing gutters in the cold weather. Unfortunately rebooking is not an option as it's been bundled with other work that needs to go ahead. Its all domestic properties (though its a commercial contract) so ladders are a option if the vac won't work.

Thank you!

 

Link to comment

We did one the other week where the gutters were frozen solid. So cold that when I left my pole the the side to help with the gutters the water froze in the clear hose connected to the brush.

Best I could think to do was spray water in there. It worked a treat after a couple of minutes. One of us spraying water in and the other working the vac along.

If I were you I'd avoid getting the ladders out in these icy conditions. Not just the risk of slipping on the floor but you won't be able to feel your hands while you're up there, its easy to lose your grip and come tumbling man.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have found sometimes you can lift out frozen strips of dirt ok , on other gutters ware the gap between the gutter and tiles is narrow you cannot get it out of the gutter as the frozen bits are bigger than the gap , don’t know if putting a hose on a hot tap to thaw it out is an option or not ??? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

We did one the other week where the gutters were frozen solid. So cold that when I left my pole the the side to help with the gutters the water froze in the clear hose connected to the brush.

Best I could think to do was spray water in there. It worked a treat after a couple of minutes. One of us spraying water in and the other working the vac along.

If I were you I'd avoid getting the ladders out in these icy conditions. Not just the risk of slipping on the floor but you won't be able to feel your hands while you're up there, its easy to lose your grip and come tumbling man.

Thanks man. Was it cold water you sprayed or hot? Can't remember what setup you've got.

And of course don't worry, ladders will only be used if its safe to do so. I wanna get the work done but I won't be risking no ones necks to do so, thats for sure!

 

2 minutes ago, Pjj said:

I have found sometimes you can lift out frozen strips of dirt ok , on other gutters ware the gap between the gutter and tiles is narrow you cannot get it out of the gutter as the frozen bits are bigger than the gap , don’t know if putting a hose on a hot tap to thaw it out is an option or not ??? 

I'll have the backpack and the hose so can use it if needed. I'll of course look for outside taps when we arrive at each job!

I'll add as well that we're working and staying away, so can't even just 'pop back' to finish off. All in all not looking like a great week ?

Edited by Master Jedi Alejandro
Link to comment

Easy if you have hot water ?, we've turned up many times before and gutters frozen solid so turned 47' WFP upside down and gently tapped the gutters to break up the ice. be careful though as if you're not careful you can snap the brackets, not that we did this ?, just what I've been told.

If you use ladders take up a screwdriver to get under the ice and for a bit of leverage.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Just now, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

Thanks man. Was it cold water you sprayed or hot? Can't remember what setup you've got.

And of course don't worry, ladders will only be used if its safe to do so. I wanna get the work done but I won't be risking no ones necks to do so, thats for sure!

 

A few have mentioned this. I'll have the backpack and the hose so can use it if needed.

Just cold mate. I have a temperature probe on the pump and it was the water was 6 degrees so it warmed it up in the end. I thought that was the coldest day I'd ever worked until this week, water has been freezing back to the glass for the whole morning yesterday and Friday. Worth doing hot as @Pjj said though. Your backpack idea seems like a good one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Easy if you have hot water ?, we've turned up many times before and gutters frozen solid so turned 47' WFP upside down and gently tapped the gutters to break up the ice. be careful though as if you're not careful you can snap the brackets, not that we did this ?, just what I've been told.

If you use ladders take up a screwdriver to get under the ice and for a bit of leverage.

Thanks man! We’ll have window equipment with us so should be able to do this no bother. 
 

I have a Gardiner gutter tool with a water outlet so will look at hooking that up also, it may help as it can spray and dig at the same time. 

14 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Just cold mate. I have a temperature probe on the pump and it was the water was 6 degrees so it warmed it up in the end. I thought that was the coldest day I'd ever worked until this week, water has been freezing back to the glass for the whole morning yesterday and Friday. Worth doing hot as @Pjj said though. Your backpack idea seems like a good one.

Temperature probe? Someone’s doing well for themselves ?

Yeah we should have two backpacks that we can then fill from a van mount if there isn’t outside taps 

Link to comment

Just an update, the work has been proposed to mid February as its now -7 where the work was meant to be taking place. So hopefully it'll be a bit warmer, lol! ?

Thank you all for your advice! ?

Link to comment

I find it best to avoid gutter clearance in icey conditions  vac wont work properly and as said above you will find it hard to get large chunks out if gap is not big enough 

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept