Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Petrol pump nozzle

steve garwood

ginger lion
Evening guys.

I have that green ribbed hose connected to my transfer pump with a petrol pump type nozzle on the end.

I’m a bit of a technophobe, so just wondering if any of you have a link to the nozzle?

Thanks ??‍?

Evening guys.

I have that green ribbed hose connected to my transfer pump with a petrol pump type nozzle on the end.

I’m a bit of a technophobe, so just wondering if any of you have a link to the nozzle?

Thanks ??‍?
Think I got mine from Purefreedom still going strong approx 3 years later work great with submersible pump ?

After linking the above, I know my transfer hose is 38mm or 1.49" but mine is a smaller diameter than that green stuff which might be 2" not sure if those above would be suitable even with a jubilee clip and some self amalgamating tape wrapped around as well

After linking the above, I know my transfer hose is 38mm or 1.49" but mine is a smaller diameter than that green stuff which might be 2" not sure if those above would be suitable even with a jubilee clip and some self amalgamating tape wrapped around as well
Ok thanks. Think I’ll take the old one off and measure the i.d.

It can wait until tomorrow, about to attack a packet of custard creams ?

I can go one better, I changed my petrol nozzle for one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JOINER-Coupler-Repair-inline-Brass/dp/B00ELAIRVE

It flows through easier and faster than the petrol nozzle ever did, I don't need to stand holding it and its substantially cheaper than an auto petrol nozzle.
Smart.

I currently don’t have anything at the end of my hose, it just pumps through then I sprint to the plug and turn it off.
My question is: the typical submersible pump I’ve got, will that be ok if I bought one of those taps and turn off the tap while it’s pumping? And then turn off the pump from the switch 30 seconds later? Do pumps like that dead end etc? 

Smart.

I currently don’t have anything at the end of my hose, it just pumps through then I sprint to the plug and turn it off.
My question is: the typical submersible pump I’ve got, will that be ok if I bought one of those taps and turn off the tap while it’s pumping? And then turn off the pump from the switch 30 seconds later? Do pumps like that dead end etc? 
Yeah mate, I do that daily. The pump doesn't actually have a huge amount of pressure so it just stops at the end. On occasion I've left the pump running all day with the tap closed and no damage caused (Probably wouldn't recommend this though)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Just one point, you don’t have to stand holding the nozzle, it has a button you push that keeps the trigger pulled so the water flows ??‍?
An, got mine from eBay, it didn’t have anything like that mate. Probably shoulda gone for one from a reputable supplier ? the hose joiner tap is good though, definitely faster than the petrol nozzle.

I have the normal black ribbed delivery hose, the one you usually buy from garden centres etc, is that 1 inch? 
Get a tape measure on it man. It’s the internal diameter you want.

It flows through easier and faster than the petrol nozzle ever did, I don't need to stand holding it and its substantially cheaper than an auto petrol nozzle.
Looks good although at £16.99 is a similar price as the nozzles with delivery, but the nozzles look quite big. 

The inline tap looks really good, I checked my order history on Amazon the last hose I bought has 32mm ID so just a smidge over an inch, have you used a jubilee clip or something, this would save the the quick dash and flooding the van. 

That's a good shout. But, like someone said above, the petrol pump nozzle from Pure Freedom has that button that saves you holding it.

I'll take a look at that Amazon one that you linked. If it's quicker to fill up, then worth a look. ?

That's a good shout. But, like someone said above, the petrol pump nozzle from Pure Freedom has that button that saves you holding it.

I'll take a look at that Amazon one that you linked. If it's quicker to fill up, then worth a look. ?
Its the 1/2" ball valve that would worry me due to it being an inline restriction.

Looks good although at £16.99 is a similar price as the nozzles with delivery, but the nozzles look quite big. 

The inline tap looks really good, I checked my order history on Amazon the last hose I bought has 32mm ID so just a smidge over an inch, have you used a jubilee clip or something, this would save the the quick dash and flooding the van. 
Yeah just a large jubilee clip ties it quite nicely. My hose is 25mm ID so it fits perfectly.

Shaved a minute or so off the fill time from empty to 650 for me. I assume thats because its straight out and not a restriction on the end. That said, the petrol nozzle I had was a cheap one from eBay, a fraction of the cost of the PF one. I remember asking at the time and people were linking to a £50 nozzle when I asked about an automatic one. I used to keep it flowing with a bungee strap when I wanted to do something else haha.

Its the 1/2" ball valve that would worry me due to it being an inline restriction.
What do you mean @spruce?

Well, after almost exactly a year (where does the time go ?) I have finally bought the inline tap from Amazon for my delivery hose last week. Dunno why I didn’t get one years ago!! Great recommendation. Thanks again. 

Yeah just a large jubilee clip ties it quite nicely. My hose is 25mm ID so it fits perfectly.

Shaved a minute or so off the fill time from empty to 650 for me. I assume thats because its straight out and not a restriction on the end. That said, the petrol nozzle I had was a cheap one from eBay, a fraction of the cost of the PF one. I remember asking at the time and people were linking to a £50 nozzle when I asked about an automatic one. I used to keep it flowing with a bungee strap when I wanted to do something else haha.

What do you mean @spruce?
Sorry @P4dstar. I missed this question. Having a 1/2" diameter valve has a smaller orifice than a 1" diameter valve. Using a 1/2" valve with 1" hose adapters I would have thought would restrict that rate of flow compared to not having the valve. So I would assume that if my transfer pump delivers 41lpm of water (that's its spec) and I'm getting that, fitting this valve would limit that flow rate a bit.

Sorry @P4dstar. I missed this question. Having a 1/2" diameter valve has a smaller orifice than a 1" diameter valve. Using a 1/2" valve with 1" hose adapters I would have thought would restrict that rate of flow compared to not having the valve. So I would assume that if my transfer pump delivers 41lpm of water (that's its spec) and I'm getting that, fitting this valve would limit that flow rate a bit.
Full bore pool, or pond valves are better without any orifice restrictions and mostly non metallic parts 

Back