Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

how much should I aim to earn per day as a wfp cleaner?

Amazin

I'm still new to wfp, only been doing it 2 months (after 5 years of trad). I'm only making £140 per day atm (10am-4pm) which is terrible. 

I know i need to find ways speed things up and I'm sure I will. I honestly don't know how some of you are making £300 per day or more doing wfp. 

I know this is a heated topic because there are lot of bullshitters out there not being honest about their true earnings. Some will say something like: "don't worry about others, focus on yourself" etc but there should be some guideline on how much you should be aiming for 

It very much depends on how compact your round is and how much you can charge per house. Even with a couple of houses here and there, at £10 a pop, you should be aiming to go close to a couple of hundred. If they're very compac, and you have enough of them, you should be aiming for £250+.

If the houses are very spread about you might struggle to do £30 an hour but if compact £40+ should be your target.

Forget the figures above if your prices are below the stated price.

I notice in your profile it says you've been going a couple of years. Were you trad before going wfp? How much did you earn before? 

How many hours do you work in a day, and how much of that is actual brush on glass? 

It might be beacause your prices are low compared to others , or you take longer than others to do the job , or travel time between jobs, transitioning from trad to wfp will take time to adapt and get everything up to speed . Set yourself an hourly target of say £30 as an example and see what jobs you achieve that on and the ones you don’t try and increase the price , certain people on hear will call it Willy waving so I don’t want to quote exact figures but the figure you put in your original post is easily achievable on a daily basis for a sole trader , and considerably more than that on many days ,it might make a bit of a difference depending ware you live . 

I'm still new to wfp, only been doing it 2 months (after 5 years of trad). I'm only making £140 per day atm (10am-4pm) which is terrible. 

I know i need to find ways speed things up and I'm sure I will. I honestly don't know how some of you are making £300 per day or more doing wfp. 

I know this is a heated topic because there are lot of bullshitters out there not being honest about their true earnings. Some will say something like: "don't worry about others, focus on yourself" etc but there should be some guideline on how much you should be aiming for 
It takes many years to build up compact work....I've been going 28 years and work at  an hourly rate of £40-£50...I only work part time hours these days but an average 5-6 hour day will be anything between £200-£300.....some days I earn £400+ in a day but this is only once in a while....

I used to earn considerably less...in fact since I went wfp nearly 11 years ago I earn over £25k more a year these days compared to my trad days(i was on the ladders for 17 years)...and work less hours too!

My work is more compact and just gets better every year....

Some of my work is more varied(bigger domestic and commercial jobs that would be impossible to clean off ladders on my own)...

Better equipment...lighter carbon poles,electric reel and hot water all make a difference as does the uni valve,round software and electronic payments....

It's never been a better time to be a window cleaner IMO....but it takes time to build up work....

Well said, @MartynThat's what I did when I began. It starts you off in the right frame of mind and on the right footing.

A lot of people start with their main priority being to build a high number of customers. "Can I get 300 customers?"

They can miss the most important point which is not necessarily building the highest number of customers but most importantly to maximise the income and profit from each customer. It's not the number of customers that pays the bills, it's the number of pounds received for a weeks work. "If I do them slightly less frequently and charge a bit more, can I earn more money with the same amount of work?" "Can I use the freed up spaces to build up my customer base?" Answer is, yes.  I filled in the free spaces with more customers at the slightly higher rate.

My strategy was to do a mainly 6 weekly service charged slightly more rather than the more common standard at the time 4 weekly. Each job is worth a minimum of £2 more per visit.

More customers needed. No problem. If I can find 100, I can find 150.

I agree with making targets and trying to hit them rather than worrying about everyone else. 
Well established WFP cleaners will generally fly through work quicker than a relative newby. All down to experience, so if you go in at the start trying to match our rate per hour you will struggle but you will speed up and become more economical in time. 

One other thing. Consistency is key. I don’t think you’re doing bad on £140 a day if you’re working 5-6 days a week. That’s not terrible money at all. Try to improve your average earning over time rather than a day rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?do some people do that?I dont know....I've never had an employed job in 28 years!??
Up North people work cash in hand for £30-£50 !

I know a window cleaner in my area he has someone driving a van for him 12 hours per day and pays him £50 cash in hand ,  his driver also signs on ! crazy lol

I've only just started up(this week) 140 quid a day , how many jobs are you doing a day ? To get 140 quid. 

140 x5 days is 700 x by 4 is 2800 a month. That'll do me any day, esp if only been doing wfp for 2 months. 

I've only just started up(this week) 140 quid a day , how many jobs are you doing a day ? To get 140 quid. 

140 x5 days is 700 x by 4 is 2800 a month. That'll do me any day, esp if only been doing wfp for 2 months. 
Just remember you have to allow for holiday time , no sick pay bad weather , expenses, £140 is a good starting point but you will need to build on that . 

That's 30k+ a year over 11 months
That’s turn over not profit though 

Just remember you have to allow for holiday time , no sick pay bad weather , expenses, £140 is a good starting point but you will need to build on that . 

That’s turn over not profit though 
Yep I get that. But after 2 months ,that's doing great I say. Give it time n it will build !  If I'm half way to that after 2 months ,I'll be more than happy. 

Latest Posts

Back