Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rhino Ladder Clamps - Getting very stiff

Cookie

I've had a set of Rhino ladder clamps for two to three years now & they've been pretty good. However the yellow clamp levers are starting to get very stiff. These clamps aren't on the van all the time (since I'm WFP and only use the ladders to clear out gutters and for climbing onto the odd flat roof).

Do any of you guys have a similar problem? How do you go about maintenance on these ladder clamps?

I've had a set of Rhino ladder clamps for two to three years now & they've been pretty good. However the yellow clamp levers are starting to get very stiff. These clamps aren't on the van all the time (since I'm WFP and only use the ladders to clear out gutters and for climbing onto the odd flat roof).

Do any of you guys have a similar problem? How do you go about maintenance on these ladder clamps?
We don’t use them but guess some WD40 or silicon lube should help 

My Rhino clamps are stiff as well. When I clamp down on the ladders on the van, I don't fully clamp them down. I bring the yellow handle down but not all the way, only just before it clicks into place. It is still strong enough to hold the ladders and easy to take off.

I bought some new ones (after having them for 4 years) and the new ones are really, really stiff. I've actually gone back to using the old ones!

I had this problem a while ago. WD40 sorted it out.
The actual clamping mechanism is sealed within the black cross-bar. So just interested where you squirted the WD-40.

Did you remove the hooked metal bar and spray into the top hole or something?

The actual clamping mechanism is sealed within the black cross-bar. So just interested where you squirted the WD-40.

Did you remove the hooked metal bar and spray into the top hole or something?
I would imagine just spray it on the metal bar and then pull it through and back a few times. Mine are a bit still too, sometimes not holding tight either but I think thats more to do with the position of the ladder.

Resurrection but...I hate every type of ladder clamp I've tried.either slow as hell or break easy. Don't like laggys for obvious reasons, using a ratchet strap at present but fiddly and annoying if wearing gloves in winter. Anyone have any better solutions that don't cost the earth?

hubby has used these for years 

View attachment 23547
Thanks for the idea. I have tried them too but found the ends fray, you seal them, they don't go back through the cam easily, I was thinking the other day how something like an ice skate ladder strap would be brilliant but can't find anything like that in UK that's strong enough ?

I have used some of these as general tie downs Cam Buckle straps. They have a hook at each end and you press the buckle to release them. To tighten you just pull one end and the buckle is like a one way thing so when you let go it just holds till you press the buckle to release.

They don't require you to thread them in and out of the buckle, the ones I have have a loop so they wont slide out of the buckle and the loop is great to pull on to tighten.

The ones I linked too are not the ones I have as mine are about 20 years old and came from costco I think. I used to use them to tie down my motorbike on the trailer. They never came loose even bouncing along on the trailer ?

Last time I used them was to pull a hedge over so I could slide out fence panels from concrete supports. They are great as you can just keep pulling them unlike a ratchet strap that becomes unusable when you have wound too much strap round it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back