Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump suddenly broke need help !!!

rafterys2003

Hi Everyone hope youre all doing well.

Got a bit of an emergency my water pump suddenly shut down today. I took the actual pump out the box and dismantled it to see if it needed cleaning or something but it looked okay. Then I put it back together and back in and it started working again however it seemed to only operate at one/full speed and the speed controller wasn't affecting it. Then the pump died again and I'm not sure if it's the actual pump thats broken or something else in the system. Any advice would be really appreciated. I'll leave a link to the pump I'm using at the bottom. Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Fed-Pole-Pump-Box-with-12-V-Battery-and-70-psi-Pump-use-as-a-Sprayer-/113409883066?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I did try another pump in it I had spare and it seemed to be working but it was just going at one speed still. How would I even replace a speed controller ? Would I just have to buy a new system ?

I did try another pump in it I had spare and it seemed to be working but it was just going at one speed still. How would I even replace a speed controller ? Would I just have to buy a new system ?
First off email who ever you bought it off to see if it's under warranty. If not can they sell you a spare part alternatively something like this  12v PWM motor speed controller 5A would work as long as the pump runs at less than 5Amps.

Scottish you are a life saver I actually just hit it with a hammer a little bit and it started working. Just been messing and it works if I leave it at the standard flow but as soon as I use the water lever on the pipe and restrict the amount of water coming through it goes dead again. Then if I open the lever and bang it with a hammer it starts working again ? Scottish thanks so much for that tip though might sound daft to some but gets it working so I can still work at least before I sort this out.

Scottish you are a life saver I actually just hit it with a hammer a little bit and it started working. Just been messing and it works if I leave it at the standard flow but as soon as I use the water lever on the pipe and restrict the amount of water coming through it goes dead again. Then if I open the lever and bang it with a hammer it starts working again ? Scottish thanks so much for that tip though might sound daft to some but gets it working so I can still work at least before I sort this out.
In that case it might be the pressure switch sticking. It's normally on the bottom of the pump at the water inlet end. No idea if you can open and look at it or not.

Double check all your electrical connections are secure.

On standard flow I think the speed controller is not used and just 12v goes straight to pump. So if the issue is only on variable speed as long as electrical connections are good it points to speed controller issue.

In that case it might be the pressure switch sticking. It's normally on the bottom of the pump at the water inlet end. No idea if you can open and look at it or not.

Double check all your electrical connections are secure.

On standard flow I think the speed controller is not used and just 12v goes straight to pump. So if the issue is only on variable speed as long as electrical connections are good it points to speed controller issue.
Just took it apart again check what I believe is the pressure switch. It was very tight to the point where I couldn't push it in. Is it supposed to be looser so the switch can push in and click or is it supposed to be that tight ? Checked the diaphragm aswell while I was there and it was fine.

Thanks

Another satisfied customer as we said leaving the incident ground on the fire engine, as we waved goodbye we noticed half their roof were missing, well at least we saved half of it. ?

Hi Everyone hope youre all doing well.

Got a bit of an emergency my water pump suddenly shut down today. I took the actual pump out the box and dismantled it to see if it needed cleaning or something but it looked okay. Then I put it back together and back in and it started working again however it seemed to only operate at one/full speed and the speed controller wasn't affecting it. Then the pump died again and I'm not sure if it's the actual pump thats broken or something else in the system. Any advice would be really appreciated. I'll leave a link to the pump I'm using at the bottom. Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Fed-Pole-Pump-Box-with-12-V-Battery-and-70-psi-Pump-use-as-a-Sprayer-/113409883066?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Cheap Chinese trash bought cheaply and sold at a much higher mark-up no doubt, they aren't designed for wfp use,

You would have been far better off spending your hard earned money on something decent built for the job like https://purefreedom.co.uk/100psi-shurflo-pump-strainer-and-flowmaster-controller-on-back-plate.html along with a decent battery and get a decent set up that will last you years as the old saying goes buy ? pay twice. 

Cheap Chinese trash bought cheaply and sold at a much higher mark-up no doubt, they aren't designed for wfp use,

You would have been far better off spending your hard earned money on something decent built for the job like https://purefreedom.co.uk/100psi-shurflo-pump-strainer-and-flowmaster-controller-on-back-plate.html along with a decent battery and get a decent set up that will last you years as the old saying goes buy ? pay twice. 
I think you're probably right. It was nearly the same price as the one you've sent me aswell. Is that the one you use ? What kind of battery would you recommend for it ? I think what's broken the pump might be the flow controller lever as I kept it on a low flow and it would stutter alot so I think it's damaged the pressure switch as it must have kept switching on and off constantly. Does this sound likely to you guys ?

Thanks for all the help

First off email who ever you bought it off to see if it's under warranty. If not can they sell you a spare part alternatively something like this  12v PWM motor speed controller 5A would work as long as the pump runs at less than 5Amps.
The description on these PWM controllers are so misleading.

I bought a 20 amp controller to run a Shurflo pump I have in another application. It's similar to this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-9-60V-20A-Amp-Pulse-Width-Modulator-PWM-Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Controller/402589033899?hash=item5dbc2d25ab:g:9JwAAOSwD75fZYek

The instructions say it has a continuous rating of 8amps. This one says 18 amps which doesn't seem right to me.

Latest Posts

Back