Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Temperature of immersion

steve garwood

ginger lion
Just a quick question to those of you using an immersion heater. 
Once it’s been on all night, what roughly is the temperature of your water please? ??‍?

Once it’s been on all night, what roughly is the temperature of your water please? ??‍?
That will depend on what the thermostat is set to the amount of water being heated and starting temperature 

That will depend on what the thermostat is set to the amount of water being heated and starting temperature 
That's right. You can add to that : How low is the immersion fitted? How well insulated is the tank? Is the van insulated to any degree? How long is all night? Mine goes on as soon as the tank is re-filled after work. That's normally around three in the afternoon. Today being Sunday it will be on within the hour.

Ok, I’ll rephrase it. If left on from 10pm until 7am, is it possible to reach around 60 degrees?
Again all the previous points are relevant what’s the size of the element 2kw 3kw how how much water are you trying to heat and what is the starting temperature??? 

Ok, I’ll rephrase it. If left on from 10pm until 7am, is it possible to reach around 60 degrees?
Dunno if this helps, but I was chatting to a guy a while back who had a 500L flat tank, he said having it on for about 9 hours over night, he said it would get up to 55 degrees. Tank Was insulted as well. Think he said it was a 2kw heater. 

A 2kw in a 500l tank will raise the temp by 30-35degrees in 9hrs, a 3kw by 45-50.

A 2kw in a 650l tank will raise the temp by 20-25degrees in 9hrs, a 3kw by 35-40.

2kw cost about £2.70 for 9hrs an a 3kw about £4.

A 2kw in a 500l tank will raise the temp by 30-35degrees in 9hrs, a 3kw by 45-50.

A 2kw in a 650l tank will raise the temp by 20-25degrees in 9hrs, a 3kw by 35-40.

2kw cost about £2.70 for 9hrs an a 3kw about £4.
That’s interesting. Maybe it was a 3kw the guy I was chatting to had then. 

I usually switch mine on at 10pm and then off when I get up about 7am.

I've got it set to 45 degrees. Not hot hot but enough to take the edge off and work with warm water throughout the day. Only switch it on when it looks like it'll go below 0 overnight. It costs roughly £2.50 (what the smart meter says).

This is with a 350l tank btw ?

P.S.Tank is insulated too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make this more complicated, and for my future reference. Is it feasible to have 2 separate elements in, 2kw, at opposite sides of the tank as my tank is 800l's and would take ages to get up to a decent temp. Or would it be better to allow longer heating time and put 1 3kw element in. 

Just to make this more complicated, and for my future reference. Is it feasible to have 2 separate elements in, 2kw, at opposite sides of the tank as my tank is 800l's and would take ages to get up to a decent temp. Or would it be better to allow longer heating time and put 1 3kw element in. 
It could be done but think you would need 2 separate  mains supplies to run it they are usually 16 amp for a 2kw , 3 kw would need Evan higher best to speak to an electrician .

Be careful on using 2 x 2Kw heaters as depending on how your power is wired you could pull toom much and trip fuses. 

If you have a look at this calc it might you help https://bloglocation.com/art/water-heating-calculator-for-time-energy-power

The calcs make no account for heat loss due to lack of insulation but gives you a rough idea.

It could be done but think you would need 2 separate  mains supplies to run it they are usually 16 amp for a 2kw , 3 kw would need Evan higher best to speak to an electrician .
My brother in law is one of the main maintenance electricians at a GSK plant up here, he'd do the job, and he's a proper jobsworth as well.

I would think two 2kw immersions would work, provided each was powered from a separate consumer unit line. It would probably be a good idea to speak with an electrician. You would also need to have internal and external access to both immersions for fitting and replacing. I think if I were doing it I'd put them both in the same corner but one on each wall, below the filler cap. One slightly above the other so the elements don't foul each other. Having them near the same corner would help with thermal circulation as well.

Possibly your other idea of a 3kw might be easier but it would definitely need a dedicated heavy duty supply right from the consumer unit (competent sparky again), 3kw overnight would almost certainly do the job. 

I’ve been giving a large immersion heater some thought. From my research you can have a 32amp supply fitted fairly easily, they’re commonly used to power high spec hot-tubs.  It’d be £3-400 to have it installed.
According to my googling you can run upto 15kw off it. you can buy a 9kw immersion for under £200, and that’d heat 850l to 65degrees in under 8hrs. 

I’ve been giving a large immersion heater some thought. From my research you can have a 32amp supply fitted fairly easily, they’re commonly used to power high spec hot-tubs.  It’d be £3-400 to have it installed.
According to my googling you can run upto 15kw off it. you can buy a 9kw immersion for under £200, and that’d heat 850l to 65degrees in under 8hrs. 
9kw would fry the van, surely!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would it? Its still reaching the same temperature, just in a more realistic time frame.

Thats the down fall of the immersion heaters, if you want really hot water they're great upto about 500, but in a 650+ 18+hrs to heat up isn't practical, but 8 or under would be ideal!

But what would be the running costs ???? 

Back