Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pull down or fanning?

Dyl Wimbledon

Out of curiosity. 

Do the seasoned traditional cleaners fan or pull down when cleaning windows and why do you choose your method? 

I've seen a few older local WC use the pull down methods. I assumed that as you got more experienced you would naturally progress to fanning as im assuming it to be quicker. 

I'm still new to WC and find it quicker to pull down as Im more confident I won't leave any  streaks this way. But, as I progress I plan to fan my Windows. 

Cheers. 

Is you can fit 2 pull downs in a window I usually do it. No lines from your liquidator guaranteed and a quick wipe with a scrim at the top or side 

Out of curiosity. 

Do the seasoned traditional cleaners fan or pull down when cleaning windows and why do you choose your method? 

I've seen a few older local WC use the pull down methods. I assumed that as you got more experienced you would naturally progress to fanning as im assuming it to be quicker. 

I'm still new to WC and find it quicker to pull down as Im more confident I won't leave any  streaks this way. But, as I progress I plan to fan my Windows. 

Cheers. 
There is certain times to use straight pulls and certain times you should fan. 

Learn to fan its simple.

Learn to fan with both your right and left hand (it will come in handy!)

I would say fanning is better/faster than straight pulls so well worth the effort to learn, then just to add the fun there are minimum move techniques. ?

You should know the basics for the trade you do...?
I agree we are fully wfp but still use trad for  internal on commercial work and a very occasional shop front , but the latest cleaners I talk to arnt interested in Evan having trad gear they just refuse point blank to do anything other than wfp jobs 

I agree we are fully wfp but still use trad for  internal on commercial work and a very occasional shop front , but the latest cleaners I talk to arnt interested in Evan having trad gear they just refuse point blank to do anything other than wfp jobs 
@Martyn @Pjj

Without the basic skill of trad they will lose work and opportunities.

Many very well paying jobs they wont be able to do because lack of skill set.

But hey it's their rodeo if they dont want to learn its on them. ?

@Martyn @Pjj

While I completely agree that every window cleaner should know how to clean trad, I do disagree that they will lose that many jobs, I think there's very few jobs that can't be done WFP, especially many very well paying jobs? But that might just be the British market.... 

While I completely agree that every window cleaner should know how to clean trad, I do disagree that they will lose that many jobs, I think there's very few jobs that can't be done WFP, especially many very well paying jobs? But that might just be the British market.... 
Depends on the work that comes your way, I guess. 

Commercial properties and some domestic work want interior windows cleaned on the regular.

Learning to use a squeegee is a simple thing is all I'm saying ?

Depends on the work that comes your way, I guess. 

Commercial properties and some domestic work want interior windows cleaned on the regular.

Learning to use a squeegee is a simple thing is all I'm saying ?
Completely agree it’s worth learning and simple to do!!!

@Martyn @Pjj

I do agree with what you are saying but new cleaners don’t want to do internals , and it be frank neither do I , once this covid is over I won’t take on internal windows apart from the commercial stuff that we have no choice to do , I don’t need the work , my guys don’t like doing them either , we can earn far more wfp than doing insides , the only exceptions to this will be customers with very expensive houses and large conservatory’s we will continue with them but that’s it . 

I do agree with what you are saying but new cleaners don’t want to do internals , and it be frank neither do I , once this covid is over I won’t take on internal windows apart from the commercial stuff that we have no choice to do , I don’t need the work , my guys don’t like doing them either , we can earn far more wfp than doing insides , the only exceptions to this will be customers with very expensive houses and large conservatory’s we will continue with them but that’s it . 
I start preparing all my customers last fall that I will no longer be doing internal windows beside for about a dozen or so large commercial account and a few'ish residential customers.

Since covid I've been moving to build within my current customer base and any new client's into the realm  "recession proofing" my business as others have said. Exterior only work amongst other things.

I've got an old mate who got me into window cleaning back in the day who's starting back up again, and he's more than happy to do internals so I sub all of them out to him, but to be fair we get very few requests for them! Especially at the moment, which I'm more than happy about!!

Can I ask why do you trad shop fronts instead of WFP them? 

Can I ask why do you trad shop fronts instead of WFP them? 
We do wfp most but a lot of ours are in one way streets and sometimes there is no parking at all so we park in another street and trad them , also  some customers want dry windows especially estate agents , we generally try and do shops before they open in the mornings but sometimes that doesn’t happen so if it’s during trading hours trad is easier with no hoses . 

Back