Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flexible filler or sealant?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Kurtis

I’ve got a job where the water runs off the orangery roof and into metal gutters. But it seems that the water is missing the gutter when there’s heavy rain. I’ll try and post a video to show how the water is running behind the downpipe and onto the wall. I was wondering if I could maybe put some sort of sealant or filler to make the water go down the gutter? Any help appreciated.

thanks

4CF224FC-1D40-4CD8-8FEB-6A041943A08D.jpeg

Only thing at the moment is curing temp of any sealant it usually needs to +5 for it to fully cure and do it's job otherwise you are wasting your time, OB1 sealant works in the wet but it needs a decent temp to cure, at this time of the year that's your issue.

Thanks for replies.

Hopefully you can see where the water is going behind the downpipe and missing the gutter. Any ideas on best way to fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the best way at all but an easy way that might work is to add some flashing the other side of downpipe to redirect the runoff into the hopper so it can't get round the back of downpipe. Maybe also seal the current flashing to the back of downpipe.

It looks like a bit of a bodge really. Looks like who ever did the orangery just took the easy route and tried using flashing to stop runoff hitting brickwork. 

Can't see behind but it looks like the gutter sits above the plinth and is closer to the wall and the hopper is fastened to the stone plinth. To correct this they have tried to put a lead flashing from the gutter edge but when you get a large flow it gets onto the flashing and runs past the hopper. Either reduce the inside of the gutter so it only runs into the hopper or extend the flashing an put a block of wood to prevent it running past the hopper.

Back